SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
clutch bleeding

I was bleeding the brakes and clutch yesterday. The fluid from the clutch was a horrible dark colour.

Anyway problem is the pedal now feels loose, we think may have got air in it somewhere. I am using a pressure bleeder kit. Is there any bleed nipple on the master cylinder? I have only bled the slave.

I read just now that one must depress the clutch pedal before tightning up the nipple, once bleeding is done. Is this the problem? there is no mention of this in the haynes book.

This is the old clutch fluid, However all the brake fluids were clear and looked new. Should I assume noone bothered to do the clutch fluid when it was last done? or just that it gets dirty very quick?
The line you can see is where the thicker darker stuff has sank to the bottom after about 5 mins, it is much more visible now I will get another picture later.

Edit: I managed to bleed the clutch again in time. It seems that the pedal has to be depressed and it also helps bleed it a lot quicker. I took it to saab and they also bled the brakes a bit better than I could.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think its important to regularly bleed the clutch, whether it needs it or not, as preventative maintenance to avoid slave failure.

As you experienced, the fluid that came out of the slave was nasty, because the slave is the lowest point of the hydraulic system and all the garbage collects there.

My slave went and when I took it apart, an $00.89 o-ring had worn away partially from moving around in dirty, abrasive hydraulic fluid, causing the slave leak.

Once you have it down, you can bleed the clutch in 15 minutes. Cheap insurance against slave replacement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marrk said:

but you are not.....?

I have seen read and posted in that thread already

Not relevant to this problem..

Its your thread about your clutch doing it a compleatly different way to me...

I did acctually use the search, and found a recent thread about somone with EXACTLY the same problem as me but as I was faaaaaar too tyred at 5:40am to find which of the 1000 tabs open it was, I didnt bother to use that.

And it was urgent..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts