SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

For my next purchase im considering an uprated forge dump valve. Question is which one to go for?
I notice Abbott claims + 10bhp with a price of £110.
They are available on e bay for about £90, will there be much difference?

Your experiences are appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I dunno how Abbott expect an extra 10bhp from a dump valve, most people go the Forge route for about £95, you won't notice any difference in performance, its just a more sturdy unit than the plasticky Bosch jobbie that has a habit of the diaphragm splitting. Oh and it looks nice and shiny under the bonnet. :cool:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Abbott dump valves actually adds 100 bhp, its a misprint :roll:

How does a valve add horse power :nono;

X

·
0 Posts
The Abbott Dump valve is the Forge unit anyway :confused: So buy the cheaper one.. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I put a forge unit in last year after i had a little trouble with turbo power loss after deceleration then sudden acceleration.What i did notice - purely subjective off course was that on the odd occasion that im using the power then have to sudden engine brake, then put on power again, the turbo pick up is faster than the bosch one, but this could be because my bosch one was sticking or split.

Anyone else noticed this ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the syntoms of a failing valve? I noticed a strange noise yesterday when i drove with the window down, at about 4000rpm in second, there was a kind of wailing noise, a bit like a police car in the distance? I can assure you it wasnt though, lol

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
a1damuk said:
What are the syntoms of a failing valve? I noticed a strange noise yesterday when i drove with the window down, at about 4000rpm in second, there was a kind of wailing noise, a bit like a police car in the distance? I can assure you it wasnt though, lol
That could well be the dump valve failing, some people call them the hooter valve for this reason! ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
When you accelerate then suddenly decelerate, then thats when the dump valve should operate.
In my case , i think the bosch original was sticking as after sudden deceleration, then acceleration , the turbo power was totally lacking because the dump valve was dumping the air when it should have been closed.

Your noise while driving could be turbo loss through the dump valve or other connection .

Others may come up with similar faults they have had so you can check them out

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
a1damuk said:
Thanks for the advice, I have ordered the the FMDVS006 from PFS. Are these a direct swap?
Well done, yes swapping should take about 5 mins with a cup of tea! ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I have a question about dump valves. What's the vaccum hose for? :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts