SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 06 9-3 sportcombi with about 130K miles. The upper timing chain guide has broken and took out the lowers as well. I took it to a well known shop here in Austin and they clain that they cannont find an upper chain guide and recommend scrapping the car. I did notice in another thread that people were using a chain kit for cobalts from E-bay. I just wanted to verify that this is the correct upper guide for Saab also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380366127059?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I own an 06 9-3 sportcombi with about 130K miles. The upper timing chain guide has broken and took out the lowers as well. I took it to a well known shop here in Austin and they clain that they cannont find an upper chain guide and recommend scrapping the car. I did notice in another thread that people were using a chain kit for cobalts from E-bay. I just wanted to verify that this is the correct upper guide for Saab also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380366127059?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Thanks,
Bill
O_O

I didn't know the timing chains broke? Can anyone chime in if this is more rare? I thought we had one less maintenance item to worry about on the 06 models...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, #18 in the diagram. The chain did not break. Car still runs but rough at idle. The shop said some of the guides were missing and probably in the oil pan. If the upper guide is correct I will buy the Ebay kit and do it myself.

Bill

·
Registered
435 Posts
I purchased balance chain components at the local GM dealership. The components for a 2008 Cobalt SS were identical to ours (2.2 or 2.0 litre), so I'm going to assume the timing components are as well. I know the timing chain tensioner for the Cobalt is an exact fit. You could take it apart, and bring the broken parts to the dealer to see if they are a match. GM dealer had everything in stock for me. You'll need to drop the oil pan to recover the broken guides.

I know you can get kits on ebay, but the dealer prices were pretty good, and IMO I would rather use genuine parts for something like the timing components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts