SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So, I think I'm going to rebuild the suspension on my 86 SPG and tackle some rust spots at the same time. The subject of this thread is: should I upgrade none, some or all of my bushings to urethane?

Up to now, I've had urethane bushings on only the back shocks. I like the feeling of the stiffer back. But, if you only put urethane in one place, obviously the other bushings take a bigger part of the dampening. In effect, I suspect you could wear the other bushings out more quickly.

Now, though, I will replace the rear springs and put new bushings in the suspension (not just shocks) as well. I believe PowerFlex makes a set of busings for the suspension parts as well.

What are the experiences here?

Cheers,

JP

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the whole set of PowerFlex bushes, but I can't give any experiences in terms of driving as my project is not even near completion. I've read though that they don't necessarily last very long at least compared to the originals. Some of them have some problems to fit properly also. I experienced this especially with the panhard rod bushings which are too large. I reported this to PowerFlex half an year ago but they don't care to do anything to fix this. First I got promises in couple of e-mails that they are on to this, then they finally just told me to stuck them in.

If you ask me I would just buy new saab originals to replace the worn bushings if you are not ready to take the risk of replacing the urethanes soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can believe that wear is an issue I hadn't yet thought of.

1.) I put 110'000 miles on the car with the Koni adjustable shocks and poly bushings for the schocks only.

2.) Err. At least almost only. I just remebered that I have poly fitting for the spring in back as well. That's something I picked up at a company called Group 6 performance.

On these items, I haven't had any issues of poly wear. The shocks are shot though now...

JP

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put poly bushing throughout my last Subaru and one thing I noticed, is I would have to grease the heck out of them once in a while; especially the rear swaybar. Yes, poly is more solid and last longer, but you get a change of squeaking. My two cents. Any bushing dealing with suspension will help. Although the cost to notice figure is pretty hard to tell. I mean your shocks with poly; your not feeling the poly as much as the shocks. As just changing the bushing is not going to make a night and day difference. So, if were me, I would only change to poly when I was replacing something like, shocks, swaybars, etc. Make sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I agree. I want to throughly get all the rust on the back half of the car's under side. Thus it's logical to take the suspension off for easier access. Also, I need to change the shocks anyway. Then, I figure it's a good time to look at the bushings when everything's in pieces. Judging by the feedback and my experience, I am tempted to stick with poly bushings for the shocks and springs. And for the rest just buy standard bushings. JP

·
Registered
888 Posts
I changed to fully poly on two of my cars...never again. Even when you grease them properly they develop squeeks...especially after the first rain.
They can also tend to be stiffer than needed for road use.

I will stick with stock.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think poly bushes suffer the same syndrome as blue silicone hoses - race cars have them so we must have them. What they add to performance is a vaguery.

Yes you get a 'more precise, responsive ride' but is that not the same as a harsh uncomfortable ride??

To fully poly-bush a c900 in the UK would cost about £600. That's a lot.

My opinion is replace the upper wishbone with poly just because it is a real PITA to replace them because it is an engine-out job so that is where "fit and forget" comes in useful.

If you replace the worn rubber bushes with new rubber bushes the difference will be palpable. It will ride like new for a fraction of a cost of poly and that is more than good enough for anyone with a 20 year old car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Genty

Thanks for the differentiated response. I think the reason why I went with some poly in the first place was that the suspension was really mush when I bought the car. If I rebuild the suspension completely, I guess you are right, it should be fine. I just still have that memory of mush in my head...

But then, I have to also say that the upper wishbones have last this long, I suppose new ones would also last me another 20 years! Maybe I'll look around for the upper wishbones in poly and see what I find. This a logical approach I think!

JP

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
My 99 is fully poly bushed apart from the rear anti-roll bar (axle from an 86 900). I have the shocks set very hard as well but the car does handle very well indeed :) They're approx 5 years old now, but only about 6000 miles so can't really comment on longetivity. Very very easy to fit and were about £300 when I bought them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts