SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to upgrade the speakers in my car to Kappas. It's a 13 spweaker system. I know the dash has 3 1/2, the doors are 6 1/2 and the rear deck has 6X9 speakers. What size are the second pair of speakers in the rear deck?

·
Super Moderator
20,427 Posts
The rear panel small speakers are 4"

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Door 6.5" speakers are 2 ohm impedance.
Only 2 ohm speakers in the car.
If you replace with 4 ohm, your bass output from the doors will be noticeably reduced.

I recommend Infinity 62.7i for the doors. Speaker is an exact fit. You can tuck and tape the separate crossover module into the arm moldings on the back side of the door panel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just ordered a pair of Kappa 32.7cf (45.00 US) for the dash, 63.7i (90.00 US) for the doors and 693.7i (105.00 US) for the back deck. I'm going to see if I need the additional 4" once I get these hooked up.

Thanks guys for your help!!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
nbk4m2a said:
i just ordered a pair of Kappa 32.7cf (45.00 US) for the dash, 63.7i (90.00 US) for the doors and 693.7i (105.00 US) for the back deck. I'm going to see if I need the additional 4" once I get these hooked up.
Some manufacturers' 3-way speakers do not fit in some locations. The problem is the midrange driver and tweeter are often mounted on a bridge-like structure over the woofer. This interferes with the Saab grilles in certain locations. I'm pretty sure the doors can be a problem. 2-way speakers always have the tweeter centered, so they fit.

Not saying your Infinity 3-ways won't fit, but others have had to cut the bridge unit off and ended up with 1-way speakers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stock speakers replacement with kappas - It killing me!!!

Has anyone replaced the stock 6X9s with Infinity kappa on a 300 watt, 13 speaker system? I'm not getting any sound out of the kappas when installed. Is there something different with the 300 Watt. I've read a couple of threads from people who have had success replacing 6X9s on 150 watt.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
nbk4m2a said:
Has anyone replaced the stock 6X9s with Infinity kappa on a 300 watt, 13 speaker system? I'm not getting any sound out of the kappas when installed. Is there something different with the 300 Watt. I've read a couple of threads from people who have had success replacing 6X9s on 150 watt.
There are no 6x9's supplied with the 150 W stock system.

There really should not be much to replacing speakers. You must be wiring something incorrectly. Did your stock speaker play OK?

You will never get any high or mid frequencies out of the 6x9's. The stock amp which drives the 6x9's (AMP2) cuts off everything above 90 Hz. The 6x9's are basically employed as subwoofers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I may have a blown amp2. Last night I was able to get the 3 1/2" front dash speakers working. They sound great!! When I installed the Kappa 6X9s in the rear and plugged them into AMP 2 you could barely hear them. I then disconnected them and plugged them into the 4" connectors (fed to the head unit) and the speakers worked fine. No bass of course but I would assume that was because the head unit is not suppling low end frequency.

Do you know how I can check the AMP 2 to confirm it is blow? At this point I'm not sure it ever worked. I'm still under warrenty but not sure if replacing the speakers voids the warrenty.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Replacing speakers does not void warranty. Although I would leave the stock ones in there if I were planning to make a warranty claim.

I think fuse 22 in the rear electrical center is for AMP2. It's a 30 A fuse whatever circuit it is.

You could check the fuse and connection to AMP2, but beyond that probably better to let the dealer replace it. This willl probably be a longer process than you realize. Trip to the dealer for "diagnosis." Then they will need to order a new amp and call you back in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crtlz,

Thanks you have been very helpful. I just call SAAB just to see how much the amp2 would cost. Sit down.. $841.00 US. The stock 6X9 speakers are going back in tonight.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
nbk4m2a said:
The stock 6X9 speakers are going back in tonight.
There have been some service managers who said the warranty was voided when speakers were replaced. Rare but true.

I had a failed AMP2 and my nearest service dept. told me everything was fine because the 4" speakers were playing. They told me that AMP2 powered EVERYTHING on the rear shelf. This level of ignorance from a dealer floors me. I told them how it really works, and they told me I was wrong. Had to drive to the next closest dealer who replaced AMP2, but it did take two visits as I described. I even tried to pay for a new AMP2 up front so they would have one "in stock," and they could credit me later. But they told me warranty claims can't be handled that way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
According to SAAB audio manual it shows a diagram of the speakers connecting to the audio system.

6X9s connect to amp2, door and center channel connect to amp1, rear deck 4" and tweaters and 3 1/2 dash and tweaters connect to the head unit.

If dealer gives me a hard time, I can prove the 4" speakers are not running off Amp2. if I plug the 6X9s in the 4" harness they work. If I plug the 4" speakers in the 6X9 harness they do not work.

Is it true that warrenty part are refurbed items from SAAB. or are they new?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amp 2 problems

Last night i pulled the amp 2 from the car I noticed that there are two fiber optic cables conneted to the amp. does anyone know if both cables should light up when in operation. Only one light was on and it was blinking. In any case, same result. when Kappa 6X9s are connceted the sound is muffled and faint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 63.7i kappas fit in 2005 9_3 aero

Ctriz,
I installed the Kappa 63.7 (three way speakers) is this morning. They fit in the door without problem. The speakers are loud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts