SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any modifications i can do to my 93 saab 900 16 valve 2.1 non turbo car besides changing air filter and spark plugs

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
2.25" or 2.5 diameter exhaust
custom header(if you can make it)
aluminum flywheel
cold air intake to under the bumper(check out 900aero.com,under DIY)
raise compression
possible nitrous injection
slightly uprated injectors

im sure theres more but I forgot it...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
i beleive that our freinds over the water refer to what we call "exhaust manifolds", as "headers", so a custom header would be a one-off special.....

there was a thread on here a while back with some pics of one made.... have a quick search

G

·
Registered
499 Posts
MSS has headers off the shelf for 16v non turbos. However, I don't have MSS' contact info handy...and the guy is rather...old school...so there's no website or anything.

Roll on the inevitable discussion of bolting 16v Turbo parts onto the car for an easy power upgrade.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Throw as much of the car as you can bear in the bin. Weight is the real killer. Uprate the brakes, suspension, and wheels / tyres - that way you'll carry much more speed through the corners.

·
Registered
499 Posts
NA power, huh...

I go with removing as much weight as possible. But that goes for any serious performance car.

That goes for engine rotating assembly too. Custom con rods, custom pistons, balanced crank. Maybe slight increase in displacement too. Then I'd cam the thing up, make it run to 8 or 9000. You'd need appropriate gearing to match, so that you could keep it in the powerband. Then I'd go with the headers, of course. Also on the top end, I'd open the thing up as much as possible, big valves, lots of porting. Then I'd do a custom intake manifold with individual throttle bodies.

It's not unfeasible to have an NA 2.0L make, say, 240hp, but it would take lots and lots of work. The Rover K-series and the new Cossie 2.3 in the latest Caterhams comes to mind - but Caterhams haul around less than half the weight of a c900....so it comes back to power to weight again.

There might be issues with revving a bigger displacement B202 or B212 but I don't know much more about piston to rod length ratios and all that. But generally, revolutions and displacement get you power in NA applications - look at BMW's V10 in the M5, any of Ferrari's V8s or the upcoming Audi RS4 V8. All in the 4.0L plus range, all running to at least 8000rpm. All expensive too! ;)

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I have an engine simular/calculator thats a few years old on my computer and it says the max speed of the b202 is 7000 RPM same with b212 cause they have the same stroke...btw Im soon going to get a 92 900 to mod...so bigger engine and rear handbrake...

also if needed I might install a nitrous system...for killing whatever if needed...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts