SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi,
I own a 95 900se, its all stock right now, 2.5 inch straight pipe is going on next week. I'm new to this whole turbo stuff and i had some questions. When i first got my car I searched the forums to see how you can gain power out of these turbos. I read up and realized you either need to get a mbc or get an ecu tune(ecu tune is safer from what i hear), is this true? if so how do u get an ecu tune? also when i first got this car i realized that it pushed boost into the bottom of the red, and now it only pushes to about half way through the yellow, is this a boost leak or a bad bpv? if it is a bad bpv does anyone have any suggestions for a new one?(preferably an atmospheric one) thanks everyone!:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I do think that a tune for the ECU is the better path to take rather than a manual boost controller but there are folks that have had great success with the MBC.

Quick and easy way to tune is the Stage 1 T5 ECU from GenuineSAAB $100 USD, plug and play.

Another option for the adventuresome is to DIY using T5 Suite (freeware) and an interface. Couple options on the interface, both CAN and BDM are possible, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Both CAN and BDM options have choices as well.

Least expensive is a home built BDM interface. Very low cost but is technically the most challenging. The pre-built USB/BDM eliminates most of the soldering, you'd only need to solder (or use pogo pins) a 10 pin IDC header to the ECU's main board.

The CAN path is easier to use, more expensive to buy and (particularly on older T5 ECU's) riskier. There's a very nice off the shelf CAN device from Lawicel, or the same guy that does the USB/BDM makes a CAN/BDM interface that resolves some of the risk of a CAN only device.

Because the T5 ECU memory chips don't always take a fresh flash, I'd highly suggest using a spare ECU rather than the only one you've got.

Check out ecuproject.com for more DIY tuning info.

Low boost can be caused by a lot of things. Damaged turbo, air leaks, bad boost control valve or a failing bypass valve. I'd not want to start simply replacing parts hoping to get it right first time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
hi,
I own a 95 900se, its all stock right now, 2.5 inch straight pipe is going on next week. I'm new to this whole turbo stuff and i had some questions. When i first got my car I searched the forums to see how you can gain power out of these turbos. I read up and realized you either need to get a mbc or get an ecu tune(ecu tune is safer from what i hear), is this true? if so how do u get an ecu tune? also when i first got this car i realized that it pushed boost into the bottom of the red, and now it only pushes to about half way through the yellow, is this a boost leak or a bad bpv? if it is a bad bpv does anyone have any suggestions for a new one?(preferably an atmospheric one) thanks everyone!:cheesy:
What's wrong with an MBC and a tune? :cheesy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts