SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been upgrading my 2003 9-5 aero, and wanted to know what type of blow off valve is recommended if i upgrade the bov

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
You don't have a blow-off valve. You have a bypass valve, also called a recirculating valve or a diverter valve.

Not gonna lie: It's a pointless "upgrade" if you're not pushing considerably more boost, but if $100 is burning a hole in your pocket you should look at the Forge bypass valves.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
First off, welcome to the forums.

I see you have a 2003 9-5 Aero, correct?

What "upgrades" are you performing to it? (so that we know what to say about getting the recirc valve, as Mike alluded to)...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use the search function. Get familiar with the site, this question gets asked about once a week it seems like.. I'm about 90% sure the only reason you are looking at a diverter valve is for the noise.. correct? You don't need to upgrade your bosch unit unless your getting the hooting noise as its failing or plan on going stage 2 or beyond.

·
Registered
199 Posts

this is what Im running forge bpv . I bought it from thesaabsite.com

And I know I'm gonna get alot of crap about this, but its not loud enough for my taste. I have an K&N open intake and Krona 3" exhaust. That does turn heads , but not enough if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Getting that air induction noise aint going to happen as it does in fast and furious movies. Fine by me.
I am getting a Forge bypass valve. I just blew my stock boche one apart today. Hit 18lbs of boost and broke it. I have a spare diaphragm type from pro parts Sweden, but it looks of really low quality.
forgot to mention I am running a stage 3 tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TurboXS Type - H 50/50

Hello,

My name's Neal.

I've just purchased my First Saab, Its a 2001 9-5 Aero 5 speed manual, I've been doing some work on my vehicle like oil sump drop cleaning it out. Soon I'll be doing the head and cleaning out all the stuff from it, PCV update if its recommended by the saab veteran's.

To stick to topic, I've been searching BOV's "blow off valves" / By pass valves and I had no idea what the difference was until Mike Saunders clarified what ours is and what they do, thank you Mike :p . The one currently installed in mine seems to be faulting out.

So I've come across this TurboXS Type-H hybrid 50/50 bypass blow off valve. Its being sold locally and was wondering if it does the same job as our bypass valve for the B235R. Its information on the website is quite limited but the person selling it said its adjustable to atmospheric or recirculation or both hence 50/50 hybrid. He's letting it go for a nice price and if this can do the same job as the factory by-pass valves then its totally up my alley. Any information would definitely help me out.

Nice to meet you all.

ps. here is the link from the manufacture website

http://turboxs.com/shop/blow-off-valves/128-hybrid-valve-type-h.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
IME you're better off sticking with diverter/bypass valves and not dick around with anything that vents to atmosphere, even partially like the hybrids.

Good sounds can be obtained with just an open intake and a piston style vavle, like the BCB one and the Forge units. For me that's more than loud enough most of the time, it's never going to be just like a bov.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the Information.

Sound is definitely not something I am concerned about, I'm more concerned with having a proper functioning car lol.

I just found a video that gives us more information about the hybrid unit, and it seems to be the piston style that you speak of.

Heres the link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP3q337hZiY

The reviewers say's that this unit is for the MAF vehicle applications, but I have a feeling that he has no clue how Saab vehicles work. On a side note. i wonder if theres a way to disable the atmospheric part on this hybrid unit. Then it would act like the stock bypass valve, correct?

I will be taking your advice on this for sure, again thanks Rabbit.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks for the Information.

Sound is definitely not something I am concerned about, I'm more concerned with having a proper functioning car lol.

I just found a video that gives us more information about the hybrid unit, and it seems to be the piston style that you speak of.

Heres the link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP3q337hZiY

The reviewers say's that this unit is for the MAF vehicle applications, but I have a feeling that he has no clue how Saab vehicles work. On a side note. i wonder if theres a way to disable the atmospheric part on this hybrid unit. Then it would act like the stock bypass valve, correct?

I will be taking your advice on this for sure, again thanks Rabbit.
That is defiantly NOT the kind you want to be using. It'll only cause you problems and headaches in the future. What you want to use is this

Krona BPV or Forge BPV.

If you want the louder sound just install it reverse and have an open air filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see the major differences now.

Consistency of air to intake recirculation without atmospheric dump is the key player here no matter how little the air loss is.

So purchasing that Hybrid and using it for a couple days for driving purposes until I purchase the proper Diverter / Bypass valves is going to be a big :nono; and cause engine failure Isn't it.

Unfortunately all the part stores have 4 day waiting period on the OEM part I needed, I thought this would be the remedy to start driving again lol, oh well.

Thanks for the info that really helped me out before going out and buying it like a noob.

Best recommendations when shopping would be, Krona BPV or Forge BPV or BCB correct?

Again, this is not for the sound, its the engine performance that I care about. Thanks Jmichael.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recirculating Valve

So just it ended up being a recirculating valve made by TurboXS.

im trying to adjust the valve, im hearing lots of valve flutter. Is that normal? and should it have more tension or less?

·
Registered
522 Posts

im trying to adjust the valve, im hearing lots of valve flutter. Is that normal? and should it have more tension or less?
You're running a turboxs valve? I didn't even know they made one for Saab so that might be causing issues. Again, I'd only use the Forge or Krona BPV. Anything other than those two I wouldn't even look at.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

I originallybrought a turboXS valve and ran it for maybe 1k miles before I removed it and went back to stock. I had more issues with that one because of its base can be switched out and thus essentiallyjust screwed into place and was losing pressure because of that. I tried adjusting it with washers but same issues with the fluttering.

I now use a Stratmosphere valve...they went out of business so they are kinda hard to find now

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're running a turboxs valve? I didn't even know they made one for Saab so that might be causing issues. Again, I'd only use the Forge or Krona BPV. Anything other than those two I wouldn't even look at.
i had no idea that it was only meant to be used only on subaru's.... well that was a waste of $60 dollars.

I thought the car took any recirculating valve. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turboxs recirculating valve sound

This is the exact same sound mine has with the turboxs recirculating valve.

mind you guys im still a noob to turbo cars and what they are supposed to sound like and how they're supposed to run etc.. i literally read 3 - 4 hours a day on learning these cars fast.

but this is the sound I end up getting on mine. I haven't been given a solid answer on what this might do to the turbo / engine etc...

heres the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTH2mOCd4Rw

also the same as this guys video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cmD6EiL1Q

I've read some forums stating that this sound is flutter and its normal, and in some forums they state that this can quickly lead to turbo failure. something to do with turbo blades getting bent out of shape. I drive in low rpm to avoid that flutter until i get my pay this week to buy the proper one. If it is normal sound then no point in buying a forge right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts