SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people my turbo is on its way out on my 96 900 i have a speed parts stage 1 ecu and a 3" downpipe with racing cat from abbott racing
Is a reconditioned stock turbo a sufficient replacement or should i upgrade the turbo?If so what are my options? any info appreciated thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you upgrade your turbo you will also be buying new software, sad but true my friend till the friendly end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gonna get it upgraded

thanks for the response only just got them coz i have been working away boo
i think i am gonna go with tweeks idea i have spoke to a company called its turbos in leeds i told them what boost and break i was roughly running and they suggestd a nissan gt wheel? he sounded like he knew what he was doing the cost was £533 and that included collecting my turbo upgrading it and returning it within 4 days im hoping to get it sent off by next week what do you guys think? and thanks again for the responses :p
Ps do i really have to upgrade my software again i am gonna do stage 3 eventually but i want to get cat back system and high flow ic first.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Depending on how much the turbo has changed the VE of the engine you may well need an ECU retune. If it flows much more air per RPM x boost than the T5 is programed to expect it will run lean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do I need to upgrade

i dont really want to increase the size of the turbo if it involves a retune but i am worried that a stock turbo wont last long if it is effectivly overboosting? what sort of upgrade is best to go for if any? just want it running the way it was before my turbo started dieing :cry:

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My stage 3 Nordic runs at 260bhp/280Lbs/ft at 1.4bar boost on a stock T25 - it's not overboosting but if I wanted more ( which I don't) it would need to be upgraded. I would get your unit rebuilt or even DIY with a repair kit and then get a good X-flow IC - especialy if you are still running the OE double return one. Turbo's don't usualy die from boost - oil supply problems and oil quality problems are their worst enemy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds nice :cool:
Thanks for the advice will just get a reconditoned t25 turbo
thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I was searching ebay earlier for TD04's, the next step up from t25, you can get a new one from the US for about £120:eek: I'd be interested to see if any of the US guys had bought from this place, looks like they will ship internationally aswell.

Cheap TD04

·
Registered
713 Posts
Shirozina said:
Genuine Mitsu and Garrett or Chinese copies? - for that price I suspect the latter.
il go with a genuine bag of rice, there are no mitsu plates on it, expect it to blow in no time!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I've got a bendy turbo already, but have swapped it onto a garrett watercooled core and used a garrett rebuild kit along with 360 thrust bearings, quality of the casts is'nt great but hopefully when i get the 8v turbo up and running it'll do the trick, for the cost (about £220 for a large T3/4 hybrid) i could afford to rebuild it every 10k miles.
The core was an exact copy to the mm of the garrett oil cooled core, the compressor wheel was a descent cast, turbine had a few imperfections and a lot of material removed to balance in compared to a garrett turbine (had both garrett T3 and the bendy one in bits comparing the quality).The compressor housing was relatively poor, but could be cleaned up, turbine housing was a bit more of a solid cast but stuff like the WG housing studs were a slightly different orientation to the standard Garrett T3.

I think one of you US guys should bit the bullet and order one, be the guinea pig!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Did you use the Garret shaft and turbine wheels? - I wouldn't worry about the castings or core on a copy but I would worry about the quality of materials used in the moving parts as these get a lot of thermal stress and spin very fast. If it warps or cracks at speed it coulds be costly.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
No as it would need to be proffesionally rebalanced then, and the turbine and compressor are both larger than a T3. The shaft looked fine, good quality, just you could tell the turbine wheel cast was'nt very accurate due to the amount of material removed to balance it.

If you pull a turbo apart, look at the back of the turbine wheel, they remove a small slice around 120 degrees long to balance it, the bendy one had a alot deeper longer slice.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
On the pics of these copies that I have seen the castings of the wheels look thicker than the originals as well - maybe they just made moulds from the originals? This will add to rotational mass (slower spool?) and any imbalances will need more material removing.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
It's a bit hard to explain, so bare with me:D , if you imagine the turbine is cast as a cone, then the edges of the cone machined down to the required diameter, i think in this machining process if the turbine is even off centre by 100th of a milimeter it will be unbalanced, so then material from the front and back is removed.

The real difference in these China copies is not the quality of the mold, it's the material used and the finishing, the aluminium used in the compressor housing seems to be of a low grade with plenty of impurities, the un-machined surfaces are pitted, as with the turbine housing. The main difference is materials used and the accuracy to which they are machined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts