SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Upgrade 2.3L light-pressure to high-output Aero engine

I have read many posts here about the possibility of upgrading the light pressure turbo engine with the Aero TD04 turbo and ECU to get the same horsepower as the engine in the Aero.

Has anyone actually done this and measured the power output? Aren't there any other differences between the two engines? It just sounds too easy to go from 185 to 230 hp.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
FOr the most part would it not just be easier/cheaper to buy the Aero?

THe engines are the same except for the ECU and turbo as far as I understand. Can't you crank the boost up on an LPT with a chip possibly?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some info about the Aero engine from the 2001 9-5 press release:
http://saabmedia.net/models/9-5/9-5/2001/index.html

In addition, the engine features reinforced alloy pistons that benefit from oil cooling jets at the base of the block that spray oil at the underside of each piston. The engine also features sturdier connecting rods, nitrided gudgeon pins and strengthened intake valves. To handle the heat, exhaust valves are made of Nimonic alloy — a high nickel content, heat-resistant alloy used in aircraft components subjected to high pressure and temperature, such as the exhaust nozzles in jet engines.

I checked the EPC and there are 2 different part numbers for the exhaust valves, one specifically mentioning the B235R (Aero) engine. There are also three different piston part numbers listed for MY 2000-2007 but only show Class B, AB and 0.5mm, not the specific engine information. This is from thesaabsite which also shows several different pistons for the B235 engine. http://thesaabsite.com/95/95enginepartsinternal.htm#PISTONS+4+CYLINDER

There are two connecting rods listed, one for 2000-2001 and for 2001-2007. It's all a bit confusing..

·
Registered
174 Posts
stipud said:
Engine differences are...

Slightly bigger intake cam (not big enough that the ECU can't adjust for it)
Bigger, more reliable turbo
ECU

So with essentially the turbo and ECU, you can get to 230hp

However, stage 1 gives you that without the turbo swap either ;)
if you're planning on going beyond that, would you recommend swapping for the TD04 turbo? Stage 2 for the Aero/TD04 is higher than the stage 2 for the LPT. also, is there no stage 3 for a 2001 aero or does genuinesaab just not list it (all talking nordic)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
What is not on topic?

I find this very interesting about differences in the engine itself that you found. Everybody on here before raved the engines were "the same". There is a B205 and a "B205R", "R" being in the Aero only?
Now I really want to know what is so special.

Cansomeone explain this whole "stage" business.

My c900 has a Genuine Saab armrest fitted. What stage would it be in?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nobody here on the forum who has done the upgrade and can report long term results? I am just curious to find out if you'll melt or break the engine internals. ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
i will say that you can safely run the b235 (both engines are so close to identical that its not funny, and the only differences seem to come with years, not power variants). so i will tell you that i have my 1999 9-5 lpt converted to a td-04 and it makes roughly 260whp on a day to day basis and i havent had any issues.

upgrade to a td-04, purely due to the fact that your gt-17 will fail sooner or later. (its just what happens...) and upgrade to the more robust, more reliable td-04, and in the process, make more power with a tune, and just be all around happier :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Abbott do the engine upgrade, I was thinking of doing it ended up buying an aero instead. Its less messing around, more little gadgets on the aero, better suspension (I had the aero upgrade on my old 2.0SE) bigger brakes, different intake pipes different turbo.

If you have all those bits and bobs then maybe its worth a go, if not you'd be better picking up an aero :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Surely if you are going to the trouble of this you just shove on an even bigger turbo (than a TD-04) and get a custom tune.... probably wouldn't be too much more :cheesy:

But seriously, just buy an aero in the first place...probably end up cost the same if not more if you went the upgrade path...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Wulf said:
Nobody here on the forum who has done the upgrade and can report long term results? I am just curious to find out if you'll melt or break the engine internals. ;)
This upgrade will take you too 230bhp thats all, I struggle to see why you would worry about melting pistons etc with the standard and very conservative Saab aero mapping on your engine :confused:

I have 350bhp plus out of my 2.0 with standard engine internals and nothing has melted......................yet :p

Mind you its only been 19 months and 24,000 miles since it was fitted so early days :roll:

If you have a 9-5 you really wanna keep...................just do it.

I do agree with Adrian's previous post though, you can get far more out of it and you dont want to spend out twice ....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Conversion

I did it 10 days ago-swap my crankshaft and rods with equivalent from 2.3 engine.Aero/2.3/ pistons are also bit different-more concave so I put inside Wossner forged pistons-easy to find for 2.3,bit harder for 2.0 engine.
Pistons from 9000 Aero are cheaper options and withstand to more than 400hp.
I was lucky enough to find internals in very good condition from totalled car without tuning and all bearings remain standard size.
Conversion parts are easy to find used,but you must have in mind that engine renewal is strongly recommended,so that new chains,water and oil pumps,crank and rods bearings,gaskets ,valve seals, head treating etc., etc. are part of the game.
It is also the right time to swap intake manifold if it is pre 2000 car,to be able to fit injectors bigger than red during next tuning fever exacerbation.
About melting internals it seems to be like "guns"job-no power melts the engine,but drivers do.:cheesy:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
expense-wise consider this

Aero turbo (TD04 HL) are used in the 9-5 aero AND 9-3 high output (205R) They are relatively common and can be had for around $300 at certain wrecking yards.

Aero computers can be had for under $200 from wrecking yards.

Thats less than i would pay in taxes for a new car of any kind let alone an aero which hold their value much more than do the LPT cars.

After marrying my computer my indie wants to do the same conversion to his car. Its that good!

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
This upgrade will take you too 230bhp thats all, I struggle to see why you would worry about melting pistons etc with the standard and very conservative Saab aero mapping on your engine :confused:

I have 350bhp plus out of my 2.0 with standard engine internals and nothing has melted......................yet :p

2.0 pistons are different no?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yup

PHP:
They have different cocavity-less in 2.0 L engine.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Jssaab said:
If you mean "weaker or stronger" then no ;)

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
So they are not the smae as the T5 2.0 pistons??? If thye are more concae is that not like the 2.0 T5?

Its all so confuzzled:confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts