SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it as been a week or so since I made a small change but here goes.

I tightened up the bottom bolt on the clamp to 18 ft-lbs. First until it was tight with the socket wrench, and then the rest of the way with the torque wrench. Sicne tightening it up, the steering wheel shake has still remained absent(thankfully), but the torque steer has returned, to a level not as bad as stock, but definitely present.

Did I tighten it up to much? I torqued the clamp bolts to 18 ft-lbs, and the clamp is solid, with no play whatsoever.

Have I done anything wrong?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Can't see how this can possibly influence torque steer. Too tight and the steeing can become stiff - too loose and it slips in the clamp. What other mods do you have?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only other chassis mod I have is the 19mm sway bar.

Granted the torque steer isn't devilishly obvious, I really have to goose it on an on-ramp to get it, but steering "weight" hasn't changed and the improvement isn't night and day(what I was expecting).

Did I put to much hope into this product or do I need more upgrades to make a truely definite improvement?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Unfortunatley you need to throw a whole lot more at the suspension to cure torque steer - uprated bushings, bracing, engine mounts etc and even then it will still occasionaly bite especialy if you are running wide rubber. The rack should not effect the weight of the steering - just make it more responsive and less soggy. 19mm for the rear may be a bit on the thin side as well - SE cars have a thicker front ARB so 19mm at the rear may be too little. It's quite important to get the rear properly sorted as deficeincies here show up as unwanted steering effects which can often be misinterpreted as torque steer.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yep. Exactly what he said, including rear bushes.

One other; do you have tracking set correctly?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The biggest improvement for torque steer for came with the 6-pt subframe brace. It has almost eliminated torque steer, in addition to making a huge improvement in steering accuracy and responsiveness. The 22mm rear arb had little to no effect (though a great improvement in cornering). I don't have the rack-brace/clamp yet, but now I don't know if I should bother with the expense.

This is on a vert - not sure if you would have the same results on a hard-top.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction, I got the GS 22mm arb, not the stock 19mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts