SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Saab 9-3 SE convertible, automatic with 132k miles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no response when operating the Roof button. I'd like the Top down (lovely weather until forecast in my area until Tuesday). Should I be trying to follow Jake's post from 2016:

Or Flyhop's post from 2006:

Or is there a newer one that's recommended?

I've removed the battery because I was following Flyhop, but then discovered I had one from jakejm79 that might fit my circumstance. I'm confused, lol.

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
234 Posts
This is a good video on the ups and downs of manually raising a 93 top. This is the procedure I followed when my top was not working. There are a few other YouTube videos on manually raising and lowering the top, so you might want to do a search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a good video on the ups and downs of manually raising a 93 top. This is the procedure I followed when my top was not working. There are a few other YouTube videos on manually raising and lowering the top, so you might want to do a search.

Nope, that's only for top up. I've watched this video several times, it doesn't fit my scenario. Remember, I don't have use of the motor. The Roof button doesn't release the 5th bow. The manual operation in the manual is for Top-up in a pinch, not for top-down.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The top is really not designed to be operated manually. In an emergency, when it's stuck down, there is a process for putting it up. There is no equivalent process for putting it down.

In any case, the only way to release the tonneau latch is electrically. You need a way to make that happen... that's Jake's steps 3 & 12.

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
Yeah... a little late for a Tech II order from China, but that's the way to go. Otherwise you'll need to be jumpering the latches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The top is really not designed to be operated manually. In an emergency, when it's stuck down, there is a process for putting it up. There is no equivalent process for putting it down.

In any case, the only way to release the tonneau latch is electrically. You need a way to make that happen... that's Jake's steps 3 & 12.
That’s what I figured. Thanks Jvanabra. Where can I find a listing of the possible things wrong (hydraulic fluid, motor, etc.)? I’d like to be able to go through a process of elimination if you will. Since I can’t get Tech2, whatever that is.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
TECH2 will tell you where problem lies. All other is just guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah... a little late for a Tech II order from China, but that's the way to go. Otherwise you'll need to be jumpering the latches.
And I don’t want anything else from China 😫

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Unfortunately the only diagnostic procedure for this top is predicated on having a Tech 2. Performing the required tests and activation without one is doable, but would be extremely time consuming. I'm not aware of anyone who's ever done it. You'd need to create some sort of test harness to manually activate the latch motors and test the individual microswitches, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I'll make do as is. At the very least I have to install the glass window so I can have visibility when driving. I found it at a very affordable price and heard that the soft top, headliner and glass window can be worked on/replaced separately.

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
If you get a connector for the latch motor from a junkyard car, you can wire that up fairly easily. The Tonneau latch can be operated with a lever from the trunk side. So you can open and close the roof without the use of the pump.

But the pump itself, the valves, and the micro switches can't easily be tested and/or operated without the Tech II.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You know whats funny...I bought a clone that was shipped directly from China. Every plastic piece inside is stamped with "Made in USA". They don't even bother trying to hide their fake stamping, which is on many other things no doubt. Us Americans are easy to get one over on....blind faith in a stamp or sticker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts