SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I got the passenger side out with a little persuasion, but the driver's side is having none of it. Am I missing something? It should just screw out with the tie rod tool. It's not corroded. I have now stripped the threads and don't see any way to remove it. I ordered a used rack with tie rods still on it so I'm not interested in salvaging it, but am perplexed as to why it won't come off. I beat the piss out of that thing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Are you holding the rack (there are flats on the side) with a wrench while turning the tie rod? It should just turn out then...

·
Super Moderator
19,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inner tie rod ball spins freely and is very loose. Nothing on the rack spins. I clamped a vice grips onto the inner rod at the threads and beat it with a hammer. It doesn’t budge.

·
Super Moderator
19,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, trash time. Already ordered new rack. It's had 10+ years of running engine oil+power steering fluid so I'd rather just get a new one.

·
Super Moderator
19,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To follow up, put a used rack in. What a PITA. Those sway bar bushing bolts are just awful to get at. I wanted to replace the bushings but there was no way to get force on them to squish them enough to get the bolt to bite. No way. So I greased the old ones. ahhh silence after a decade plus of winter crunch.

Still getting a wobble, steering wheel is a bit crooked and it wanders right pretty bad. Needs new tires soon so will have them look at wheels in case one is bent but I see nothing. Have it aligned and see if they can't straighten the wheel. Gonna swap over new outer tie rods I bought as the used ones are no good. My old ones are in better shape than what came on the used rack but it's also rustier than mine. Oh well, another day to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts