SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my radio in my 9-3 with another one that will need a divorce/re-marry to work.

If I install it pre-divorce, what should it do? Power up but not play? Display an error message?

I'd like to know how much it should do before I head to the dealer for the re-programming so I don't waste time and money there with something that won't work.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Can I ask why you aren't going aftermarket? Not only would it sound 1000 times better, but it'd have a ton of useful features like HD radio, hi pass filters, ipod ready, better control over the quality as well as treble, midrange, and bass (usually a Graphic EQ), better CD quality, etc. I realize you might light the idea of a "stock" appearance, but you're really missing out. Regardless of the "type" of music you listen to. Whether it be Jazz, Classical, Rock- it will all sound better. If you shop diligently, you can find very nice aftermarket head units that can match the factory colored lights in the car as well as the overall appearance looking factory. Mine displays lots of reds that look right at home with the SID and dash lights at night. Best of all, they'll last longer than the 15 year old stockers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm replacing my radio in my 9-3 with another one that will need a divorce/re-marry to work.

If I install it pre-divorce, what should it do? Power up but not play? Display an error message?

I'd like to know how much it should do before I head to the dealer for the re-programming so I don't waste time and money there with something that won't work.

Thanks,
It won't do anything. Pretty sure it'll just display a message on the SID when you try to power it on.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I ask why you aren't going aftermarket? Not only would it sound 1000 times better, but it'd have a ton of useful features like HD radio, hi pass filters, ipod ready, better control over the quality as well as treble, midrange, and bass (usually a Graphic EQ), better CD quality, etc. I realize you might light the idea of a "stock" appearance, but you're really missing out. Regardless of the "type" of music you listen to. Whether it be Jazz, Classical, Rock- it will all sound better. If you shop diligently, you can find very nice aftermarket head units that can match the factory colored lights in the car as well as the overall appearance looking factory. Mine displays lots of reds that look right at home with the SID and dash lights at night. Best of all, they'll last longer than the 15 year old stockers.
Don't have the time to do it right at this point, and I spotted a guy selling a stock radio on CL for $40, so for now I'm just correcting the condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts