SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
While installing a new cabin air filter in my '99 wagon base, I happened to notice an unused plug in the passenger footwell, on the right hand side next to a black module. Looks to be 18 to 20 pins or so. I should have grabbed a pic but didn't think of it at the time. What is this unused plug for ?
Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Mine has one, too, over by the ECU on the right side of the passenger side footwell. Does it look sort of like the plugs for the seat heater and TCS switches? I have no clue what that one's for. There's another one that's behind the radio and ACC panel for a cell phone handsfree interface. It's normally clipped into the front of the heater box if it's not used.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has one, too, over by the ECU on the right side of the passenger side footwell. Does it look sort of like the plugs for the seat heater and TCS switches? I have no clue what that one's for. There's another one that's behind the radio and ACC panel for a cell phone handsfree interface. It's normally clipped into the front of the heater box if it's not used.
Yea thats the one, about 2 to 3 inches long, about a 1/4 inch thick, with a lot of wires (didn't count them) in the footwell by the ECU. No the plug is long and slender, not like the "cube" type plug for the switches. Hopefully one of the gurus can answer the question for both of us ;) I would assume it is for something on the models that have more options, but what exactly is anyones guess LOL I'll see if I can get a pic in a little while of the plug. As for the phone plug, I knew that one was there, and always wondered if the phone plug could be used with a bluetooth device (or something like a BT device) somehow to use the functionality and take advantage of todays technology. In the manual I have if I remember correctly, there are only 3 wires, which might make an electronic adapter "easy". Guess I would have to research some electronics goodness to answer that :D I'd love to see my SID light up with "PHONE" LOL

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
The phone interface is pretty simple. There are wires for ground, power, mute, and depending on the model, wires for the car's integrated microphone. My NG900 had a very similar interface that I used to connect a couple of different phone kits over the years. The last one I had was a Siemens Bluetooth car kit that worked really well. It would display "PHONE" on the SID and mute the radio. Now I have a relatively inexpensive (under $100) Pioneer double-DIN media receiver in my 9-5 that has Bluetooth built-in. I really like that, and it matches the dashboard pretty well since I can set the button color to green and the display color to orange.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
My 2000 9-5 has a Parrot bluetooth (installed by the previous owner) it uses the overhead console speaker and works perfectly with 'telephone' displayed on the SID when there is an ongoing call.

I don't know what the connection details are, just letting you know it is possible and works very well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you have the "Popular" sound system (which it sounds like) then that's the wiring harness connector for the outboard amp that's used in the high-end audio options. The amp would be behind the kick panel near the door. The base sound system's amps are in the radio and feed the speakers directly.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
My 2000 9-5 has a Parrot bluetooth (installed by the previous owner) it uses the overhead console speaker and works perfectly with 'telephone' displayed on the SID when there is an ongoing call.

I don't know what the connection details are, just letting you know it is possible and works very well.
What overhead speaker does it use? I didn't think that these cars had any kind of speaker up there. Maybe that was installed by the previous owner, too?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my ride I have the stock pioneer with 8 speakers. I think it is a step below prestige or something like that, but a step up from the base trim. Since I am keeping the stock head unit in this one, the only thing I have updated stereo-wise has been, moving the the front door speakers to the rear doors (yes they fit), upgrading the front door and dash minus center speakers, running large ought wire from battery to the now installed 1.5 farad cap and amp (using the speaker level inputs), in place of the cover and “sub” in the luggage area, and adding my little 10inch sub box. Actually sounds great and I did a really clean installation this time. To get “modern” sound to the head unit, I use a tape adapter on one of the Dolby settings. I know this isn’t ideal to get the sound in there but it does sound pretty darn good.
I’ll be posting a link to my YouTube video to show it off later.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So is there an amp missing? Someone ordered the uprated system in my car when new. Or is the middle option for stereo less an amp? I have a “ black box” in the footwell I assume is an amp, and a box behind the glovebox. I brought the amp’s power wire into the car next to that one through the boot in the wiper motor compartment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts