SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Saab a few weeks ago and it has been in the shop much of the time since, luckily at the expense of the dealer. They fixed the surpentine belt, but found nothing else wrong with the cause. Not draws at all.

When I went to pick the car up the first day, they said the battery was dead, it was new, and they wanted to check it out. After I took it home it died the following morning. Brought it back, they found nothing, back home, and it died the next day. Brought it back they sent it to Saab, they fixed the belt, checked everything. Back to me, died after 2 days. Back to them for 10 days, Saab found nothing, the dealer found nothing and the battery didn't die. I got it back yesterday, drove it a bit. This morning it was dead.

I noticed the head light switch was on and I thought that could be it, but the car is supposed to have the automatic headlights that shut off on their own. I wonder if this could be it, so I am waiting for a jump. BTW I am on the 2nd new battery.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I figure someone else may have had a similar issue.

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
i have a 2003 9-5 and i have caught it not turning the headlights off at least once recently. i noticed it and flipped the switch a few times which finally turned them off automatically. you should be able to turn if off manually though. hasn't happened lately but it's something that would drain your battery if you rely on the auto-off feature.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i take it the alternator has been checked and the terminals at each end are ok. wires aren`t frayed anywhere. i`ve left lights on my 99 9-5 sometimes and never happened to me. lights always auto turn off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
NO start

It seems I have a similar problem that sounds like an expensive fix yet again. New battery a year ago, new alternator this summer. From late fall on barely turning the engine over that I just put down to age, 2002 9-5 with 202202 Kms.
Away for 10 days battery dead and need eda boost to start (it did and right away). Off to my service shop who says that there are no dead cells on the battery it is holding charge and the alternator is supplying 14 amps, a print out he produced (to my mind) proved that both the usual suspects are in fact good?
He says that he will have to bring it into the shop and check every relay and branch individually as he suspects that something is draining the battery, the head lights do not stay on!
He pointed to my Pioneer radio gps and bluetooth AVIC 310 (I think from memory) as a possible culprit. Called the installer and he says should not be that?
1. Can I put the car on a trickle charger of some description to get me over till he is not too busy in the shop sometime later in the week? I neeed to get to work etc.
2. Anyone with any input of course would be most appreciated!
3. To make matters worse the outside temperature is -20C this morning but will warm up over the week..../

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
When you remove the key are you sure the ignition is turned all the way off? and does the car have the stock radio? ro was any accessories added?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi
Yea the switch does appear to turn right off. Car locks so that should not be the issue?
Not stock radio it is a Pioneer AVIV 310BT. I have an isolation switch on the dash that totally powers off the unit. Installer says "should" not be the problem. I bought a swedish device that I put on last night at least it trickled enough juice for it. To start this morning .../

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Just make sure the switch pops up when the ignition is turned off or power will still be on. The doors would still lock even if the ignition switch isn't turned off. I would also check that isolation switch with a tester for power drain. Why did you have to install a seperate switch; couldn't your installer find the ignition power wire to the radio?

Hi
Yea the switch does appear to turn right off. Car locks so that should not be the issue?
Not stock radio it is a Pioneer AVIV 310BT. I have an isolation switch on the dash that totally powers off the unit. Installer says "should" not be the problem. I bought a swedish device that I put on last night at least it trickled enough juice for it. To start this morning .../

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The battery may have a dead cell in it...Try replacing it with a new battery to see if the problem occurs again.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The battery may have a dead cell in it...Try replacing it with a new battery to see if the problem occurs again.
This could be as well; try popping the covers off the battery and check the acid levels in each cell. If low fill with distilled water and see if that helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
deading battery

Hello all and thanks for the superb responses! I had the car back to our Mechanic yesterday they took battery out and checked all cells, it is a huge battery and less than a year old so they have discounted that. Checked all wiring on the alternator handed me the keys back and said that they found nothing bring the car back and be prepared to rent a car if they do not immediately over a day find the problem.../

Out in the car last night I did notice that all interior lights were a lot brighter. I am suspecting that (they replaced the alternator last year ($800) ) maybe a wire was loose or a connection on the alternator is faulty. Anyway the car started this morning with just a little hesitation so I am keeping fingers crossed (but not too confident ;ol;) at this point that the issue is resolved as the weather also is cooperating and it is quite warm today at -2C.

More as this developes hopefully positive news!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is there by any chance that something interior wise would be causing the drainage?
Example - Overhead light not cutting out due to a door not being shut or something along the lines?

EDIT- just read the last post AFTER posting this, sorry xD

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Is there by any chance that something interior wise would be causing the drainage?
Example - Overhead light not cutting out due to a door not being shut or something along the lines?

EDIT- just read the last post AFTER posting this, sorry xD
I'll bump your suggestion to encourage the guy to do an all points inspection of the lighting elements in his car, particularly in the trunk area, as there may be a fixture with the switch set in the "ON" position that has gone unnoticed by all.

p.s. Glad to hear that it wasn't the battery (but I'd still pop off the caps to have a look for myself/my own peace of mind as I've had new batteries that, unbeknownst to all, had dead cells).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought a Saab a few weeks ago and it has been in the shop much of the time since, luckily at the expense of the dealer. They fixed the surpentine belt, but found nothing else wrong with the cause. Not draws at all.

When I went to pick the car up the first day, they said the battery was dead, it was new, and they wanted to check it out. After I took it home it died the following morning. Brought it back, they found nothing, back home, and it died the next day. Brought it back they sent it to Saab, they fixed the belt, checked everything. Back to me, died after 2 days. Back to them for 10 days, Saab found nothing, the dealer found nothing and the battery didn't die. I got it back yesterday, drove it a bit. This morning it was dead.

I noticed the head light switch was on and I thought that could be it, but the car is supposed to have the automatic headlights that shut off on their own. I wonder if this could be it, so I am waiting for a jump. BTW I am on the 2nd new battery.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I figure someone else may have had a similar issue.

Thanks!:D
Before you begin wasting any more time, money and energy maybe I can help.

While I can not guarantee this is the problem you may want to bring it to a dealer and have them check to see if the On-Star module is the cause as it may be waking up and staying on longer than allowable.
(Does not matter if you do not have a subscription)
If that is the case there is a removal procedure that NEEDS to be performed correctly otherwise you are opening up a can of electrical problems.

This is not something just checking for a random draw would expose. It takes time and knowing just what to to look for as well. Having the dealer "just check for a draw" is not going to do it. The modules are not always awake so it has to been seen when it's happening to determine how much longer it is staying awake than it should be.

Do not allow your independent or anyone else who is not familiar with this system to touch it. Cutting the module out, as I have seen toooo many times is not the proper way to fix this issue.

Like I said, it is a possibility that's what's happening but I would suggest either way you let the dealer diagnose it properly before you spend any more money throwing parts at it.

Also, there is no "recall" for this issue.

Good Luck!;ol;

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now known battery problem

:cheesy: Ha perserverance pays I guess. Back to the shop last Friday. Christian removed all the terminals and I guess after some detective work on his part found a loose aluminum to steel connection off of the negative side from the battery to somewhere, but it appears to have fixed the problem, lights are brighter and cold start cranking power sounds great.
Thought I would share the results of this problem anyway!;ol;

1 - 14 of 14 Posts