SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I love my Saab. After the unfortunate demise of my former 2000 9-5 Aero, I shopped around for 6 months before I found this one. For the past three weeks, however, we have had issues that seem to keep compounding. It all began...
Husband smells antifreeze outside of car. Coolant low light turns on. Took to dealership. They found coolant leaking from expansion tank hoses. Removed expansion tank and deburred pipes. Reinstalled, filled, pressure tested; Good.
24 hours later, husband can now smell anifreeze inside as well as outside the vehicle. Coolant low light back on. Car to dealership. Parts needed. They will be ordering a thermostat and a temp sensor gauge. Car is under warranty. Refused to give loaner. Sent me on my way to wait for parts.
A week later, still no parts. Having problems obtaining them. Just need to be patient.
Car develops new problem with sputtering/stuttering during speeds between 60-70mph. Idle a little rough, barely perceptible. Coolant light always on. Smell continues. Coolant visibly low, needs refilling. Within a day(this is over the weekend, dealer is closed) the stuttering begins to affect the car when stuck in traffic at lower speeds as well. Never actually stalled.
Called GM/Saab. Yelled at a lot of people. Returned to dealer. Demanded loaner car. Insisted car be fully inspected. That was 3 days ago.
After a day, they said the coolant was too full. Pressure tested good. They claim there is no problem. They can't tell that we even need repair. What parts did you say we were supposed to order again? They do admit to experiencing the "shifting " problem as they call it.
As of today, they still have my car. They are ordering the thermostat and sensor gauge, but still have no idea what is causing the "shifting" problem. They claim there is no leak of antifreeze, and that the smell was caused by spillage.
Thoughts anyone? They are dumbfounded by the sputtering, and I don't entirely believe that there isn't a coolant issue.
Thanks for your help! :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know that the expansion tank on the 08 Aeros is an issue. Mine had the same leaking issue. I dont smell coolant nor does the coolant light come on. I believe that the tank is an actual recall issue. I havent pressed it because after the dealer tightened the hoses etc it has stopped leaking. I cannot comment on the shifting etc. Did your check engine light come on? If so what was the code?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I had the smae problem on my 07 Aero, finally figured that the water pump was going out and was leaking, but the heat of the engne was causing the coolant to evaporate so no visible leak, Replaced the pump, had the smell for a day then it was gone.

·
Registered
643 Posts
there is a known recall on the expansion tanks or atleast on my 06 aero.

my dealer at the time brought it up to me as i didn't know.

tank plastic was too thin and brittle, replaced with heavier duty one.

yes my hoses were a pain and leaking but that is due to heat.

expect to change the hoses ever 2 or 3 years as they are right next to the turbo.

Make sure they are specifically coolant hoses. I had some guy give me injector hose that looks exactly the same.

injector hose becomes brittle when exposed to antifreeze, line broke in a couple months.

I would have them check your tranny fluid too. your stating shifting issues. best to check your bases.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Also as to the stuttering problem, are you sure it's only at 60-70 mph, or is ir more load/RPM related? The V6 coil packs are notorious for going bad, luckily they're a lot cheaper than the 2.0T ones though. I'd look into that.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The sputtering/stuttering is probably due to a bad coil pack. Pretty common issue on the 2.8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your insight, a coil did end up being the issue for the stuttering, but it took a Saab engineer and the dealer nearly two weeks to resolve. When they gave me the car back last Friday, it still smelled of coolant. By Tuesday evening, the coolant light was back on. I just took the car back to the dealer today. This will be the third time they have had the car for the same coolant issue. When the service manager calls me later, I will recommend the water pump be changed. Any other advice?

BTW... Y'all are awesome!;ol;

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think there are also some coolant hard line o-rings that are known to leak down by the turbo itself...never had the issue but recall reading about it on some 2.8T's...

Sean

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think there are also some coolant hard line o-rings that are known to leak down by the turbo itself...never had the issue but recall reading about it on some 2.8T's...

Sean
I have read that the banjo bolts sometimes leak at the turbo. This would instantly burn off any coolant. I'd have those checked out as well.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
What was your "shifting" issue? Or was that the stuttering and coil packs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there wasn't a shifting issue, just the coil packs, it's funny that the way I described the problem translated to some on here as "shifting" issue, the dealership called it the same thing... everytime they called me, they said they were still working on my "Shifting issue", lol. Guess I'm just not good at describing problems clearly.

Follow-up... the dealer says they think the problem is the thermostat housing gasket? IDK, but if they already replaced the thermostat & housing, why not change the gasket then? I am waiting to talk to a shop foreman tomorrow.

I just want my car back... they keep making me drive a Suzuki.:cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My ongoing Saab Drama

So as a follow up to the coolant leak issue, here is what has happened since. I am only sharing this now as insight into how a warranty repair is approached.

Third attempt to repair same coolant leak resulted in the changing of a thermostat gasket. Has car for two days before low coolant light came back on.

Fourth attempt to repair same issue. The dealer called Saab tech-line for advice. This resulted in the changing of the radiator cap. This repair actually allowed us to drive the car for two weeks before the low coolant light was back on.

Final attempt? Maybe? The engine was taken apart, the heads sent off to be tested. The heads were bad. Leak was internal. They will now be replacing my entire engine. I have been in a rental car for nearly two weeks now, and looking at another two weeks before gettting my car back. Couldn't have afforded this without the warranty.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
So as a follow up to the coolant leak issue, here is what has happened since. I am only sharing this now as insight into how a warranty repair is approached.

Third attempt to repair same coolant leak resulted in the changing of a thermostat gasket. Has car for two days before low coolant light came back on.

Fourth attempt to repair same issue. The dealer called Saab tech-line for advice. This resulted in the changing of the radiator cap. This repair actually allowed us to drive the car for two weeks before the low coolant light was back on.

Final attempt? Maybe? The engine was taken apart, the heads sent off to be tested. The heads were bad. Leak was internal. They will now be replacing my entire engine. I have been in a rental car for nearly two weeks now, and looking at another two weeks before gettting my car back. Couldn't have afforded this without the warranty.
Wow, good result and got to love that warranty!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still no car. they finally put in the engine and there was a problem. The head gasket was blocking a cam shaft? No air getting through. Now my car is torn apart again. Someday I will drive a Saab again. Maybe if I buy one on Ebay... :cry:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hang in there, when running right fantastic cars. I just went over 147K o mine and runs and looks new! have had a few issues over the course of the miles covered, but still would do it again.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Green coolant or red coolant?

I got my car back. Drove it for one day. There is a really musty smell coming in a/c when running. Opened hood today to look at air filter, and saw dried up residue all around coolant reservoir and hoses leading to it, and spray across the top of the motor. The dried color is white. I opened the lid to the reservoir and couldn't even see the coolant. I stuck a clean popsickle/craft stick in and what I found appeared to be straight water. I went back to get a turkey baster(So much for using it Thanksgiving) and pulled out some coolant from the tank. It was green. My coolant used to be red. When they changed my engine, why did they change my coolant? Is the green stuff ok, or should I only have the red stuff? No matter what I am going back on Monday now, but what should I be preparing myself for?

·
Registered
643 Posts
go back ASAP you need the red coolant.

green and red are not the same.

where did you go?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Green and red are not the same...

What's in a Color When it Comes to Radiator Fluid?
The coolant color game continues to confuse many in the auto radiator repair industry. Hopefully this easy reference will help!

Yellow Coolant: Valvoline G-05, CelCool, Ford Truck factory fill
Red-Orange or "Strawberry" Red: Detroit Diesel PowerCool Plus, Texaco & CAT ELC, and International & GMC Truck factory fill.
Fuchsia: FleetCharge, DDC PowerCool, CAT DEAC, factory fill at Mack and Freightliner.
Green: Many fully-formulated brands including Prestone HD, factory fill at KW & PB, unfortunately easily confused with conventional automotive.
Blue: Cummins-Fleetguard Compleat.

Note: Color is not always a reliable indicator of the coolant's family. There are green conventional and hybrid products, and we've even seen one green carboxylate. There are yellow coolants in alll three families. So far, we haven't seen any orange conventional products but there are both carboxylates and hybrids in orange. All can be found in shades of red and blue. To make matters worse, most of the colors change with time, drawing closer together and making matching even more difficult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car has been only to Demontrond, a dealer in Houston, one of two that is still an authorized Saab repair shop. Since everything has been done under warranty, I have only dealt with them, but pending a call from my GM/Saab customer service advocate, I will be making the 2 hour drive to the next nearest authorized repair center, Ron Carter. I just cannot trust what Demontrond has done to my car. They have had my car 5 times, and the last time was for nearly six weeks. The green coolant I pulled out of the car smells like oil, not the sweet scent of antifreeze.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts