SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting some wicked shimmy in my front wheels when braking. I pulled the front right rotor off, and it looks like the pad is severely wearing the very inside of the rotor (although there is wear across the entire surface of the rotor. Basically, it looks like the inside surface of the rotor has been ground on an angle; the angle is about 1/2" or so.

My first thought is that the caliper is bad, but could this have just been a bad install of the rotor or pads themselves? The caliper didn't want to contract, and when it did, it seemed difficult and uneven. Full disclaimer: I did the brake job myself about 10k miles ago. I made sure the rotor and wheel hub surfaces were pristine, and I cleaned and lubed the caliper guide pins. I did not however check the rotors were true (live and learn; I'll buy a dial gauge for the next install for sure).

I haven't yet checked the other front wheel, but I'm guessing I need a complete new set of pads and rotors on both fronts. I figure I'll get two caliper rebuild kits, too, and take care of that while I'm at it. Any thoughts on a.) what I might have missed the first time, or b.) what I need to look at this time?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've seen uneven wear on the rear rotors due to the piston not being properly rotated so that the pins on the piston fit into the slots on the backing of the pad. This is not the case with the front pads as the piston does not need to be rotated and the pads have clips that fit into the piston. However, when I had my 2001 9-3, the previous owner did not properly put the spring clip back on correctly. It looked correct, but upon closer inspection, you can tell that it wasn't applying any pressure. Additionally, make sure that the caliper pins are not binding and that you bleed the brakes properly. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts