SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
meh, honestly i have seen better, the interior isn't even as good as my 84 900 sport, which was showroom!

(edit)-sorry don't liek ot sound like a downer, BUT I'M PICKY! it still is very good tho, but not unbelivable, and 28,000mi, well perhaps it had a replacement cluster, wound back the odo ect. wear on pedals would help, but the drivers seat isn't as good as mine in my 89' which has 300,000kms, no seam seperation, no tears, no peeling, no crack, looks awsome!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
woywitka said:
meh, honestly i have seen better,
What??? That car is great! It's the twin of mine except that mine is a 5 speed.

It's got the hood edge protector like my '86 900S 3-door had -- looks good on the white car.

I wish that I had the $5k -- I'd buy it for my wife!! Matching Saabs!!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
thats a clone of mine too.......not the oem radio though, the thing looks great but why only 28k? could be for real although the drivers seat says more than 28k to me!

j

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
IMHO...of course the car looks dated....after all it's an 88 and interestingly, as far ahead of the times as the car was engineering and stylewise, the color schemes reflected the era...

those photos show the reds a bit stronger....it's really a darker hue

j

·
Registered
418 Posts
Of course, I shouldn't be critical. I did once own a 1975 99LE Wagonback, in Kelly Green, with a matching green interior!

BTW Dumbest car decision I ever made, I traded the 99 in for a brand new Integra. Of course it was a Minnesota car, and it was showing rust even then, back in 1990 - it'd be a pile of red and green particles by now if I'd kept it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Black Beauty said:
I'm not sure I like the burgundy interior. Looks a little too "Vegas in the 70's" to me.
I understand that. I felt that way when I bought mine. It was the right price, and the burgundy was a part of the reason that the price was right. Over time, it has really grown on me. To the point where I am glad that I don't have the yellowing tan interior that doesn't seem to age very well.

The best color is the Buffalo Gray.

Next winter I may strip mine out (again) and convert to black or graphite gray. Still haven't decided...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black Beauty said:
Of course, I shouldn't be critical. I did once own a 1975 99LE Wagonback, in Kelly Green, with a matching green interior!

BTW Dumbest car decision I ever made, I traded the 99 in for a brand new Integra. Of course it was a Minnesota car, and it was showing rust even then, back in 1990 - it'd be a pile of red and green particles by now if I'd kept it.
I feel better about trading in my 78 99GL four speed for a VW Jetta :)

(Note well: this does not mean I don't regret every time I see a tan 99 roll by)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
woywitka said:
meh, honestly i have seen better, the interior isn't even as good as my 84 900 sport, which was showroom!
<snip>
Well, me too, but not in fifteen or so years!

I thought the mileage was way low, but if you read the text they swear up and down that it's real...
I just thought it looked great (and would want mine to be that pretty) and that sharing was good.

Incidentally, I was looking for seats. If anyone has either front seats or seat covers (reasonable) please let me know.

I had someone quote me $680 for skins alone! hahahahahaha, I saw a car with suitable seats for $500 on ebay yesterday.:eek: What's going on? Am I crazy or some of the parts for these cars are priced... uh... weirdly?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JonV said:
thats a clone of mine too.......not the oem radio though, the thing looks great but why only 28k? could be for real although the drivers seat says more than 28k to me!

j
Maybe you, me and the two (yes, count them, two) other white/black verts in my town should drive down main for laughs and giggles.:p

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Marcos said:
I had someone quote me $680 for skins alone! hahahahahaha, I saw a car with suitable seats for $500 on ebay yesterday.:eek: What's going on? Am I crazy or some of the parts for these cars are priced... uh... weirdly?
If those are new skins, that's about the 'right' price. The SaabStuff.com folks are a little higher than that. But their skins are better than the originals -- all leather instead of leather seating surfaces with vinyl around the sides and back.

But, yes for used skins I wrote a guy with skins on eBay that matched my car after the auction ended without meeting his reserve -- he wanted $300 for used skins! He said it was a real pain to get 'em off and they were good and he would find a buyer for $300. Well, not me! I ended up fixing mine and I'm glad I did. They aren't in great shape, but for less than $100 in materials and a little work, they look good for 17-year-old convertible seats!:D :D :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really dig the red interiors, sooo prefer it over my beige, and should you ever opt for the Saab soft boot, they are a little cheaper in red, for some reason.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
eggsngrits said:
If those are new skins, that's about the 'right' price. The SaabStuff.com folks are a little higher than that. But their skins are better than the originals -- all leather instead of leather seating surfaces with vinyl around the sides and back.

But, yes for used skins I wrote a guy with skins on eBay that matched my car after the auction ended without meeting his reserve -- he wanted $300 for used skins! He said it was a real pain to get 'em off and they were good and he would find a buyer for $300. Well, not me! I ended up fixing mine and I'm glad I did. They aren't in great shape, but for less than $100 in materials and a little work, they look good for 17-year-old convertible seats!:D :D :D
Your seats look great! Mine are split on the middle seam (the one at 90 degrees with the a55 crack) and started tearing the roundabout one. I just found a site with instructions for removing the skins and did a quick check of my seats (not hard, since I drive it all the time!) and nothing's broken on the skins, just the thread came undone. I have access to a heavy duty professional sewing machine, so I'm thinking I'll remove them, take them appart and resew them would do the trick. I'm thinking I can get some leather scraps (dirt cheap) and rebuild the skins for waaaaaaaaaaaay less than what they ask.

It may be just me, but it just does not make sense to put $600 skins on the seats of a car that is valued at maybe $1,800. If I were to restore it to "mint", I might consider it, but this is my car. I use it every day, and wouldn't have it any other way. If I were to spend that kind of money on it, I would buy something that would make it healthier (like new exhaust headers, new injectors, maybe a new transmission) or buy a parts car to play with.

Sometimes it feels like my (our?) weakness for this car is... exploited, for lack of a better word, by marketeers and opportunists. It just doesn't feel right that a screw for my Saab is $20, while the same for another car is $5 (see the thread for the oxygen sensors... a generic one that works the same is around $ 50, while the one for the 900 is some $200.)

As I said, maybe it's just me and this weakness for old good stuff I have.

*sigh*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts