SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 9-5 with 2.3T.

Just replaced a turbo that had a bearing/shaft failure and dumped a bunch of oil.

Filled the new turbo oil inlet and spun by hand, connected everything up except for the return to the sump, pulled the ignition/fuel pump fuses, and cranked it over and over while watching for oil to drip down. Perhaps a cumulative 3 minutes of cranking. No oil came out the return flange.

So I pulled the oil supply line (from above the filter, to the turbo inlet) and it's still bone dry after all of this cranking.

Cranked again for another 30 or so seconds with the line removed, and no oil is coming out of the female fitting directly above the filter. No flow?

Any thoughts on what may be causing this or next steps to diagnose the root cause?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did the oil lamp finally switched off during the cranking?

I am not sure if cranking speed is sufficient to build up enough pressure to prime the turbocharger line.

I usually prime the turbocharger with some oil (trying to press in some oil with a syringe) connect the line and start the engine.

For a few seconds the remaining oil in the turbocharger should be sufficient.

But if you have a serious problem with your turbocharger oil supply it would kill the new turbo.

Maybe it would be helpful to keep the line disconnected and start the engine for a few seconds and check if there is oil.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
check the oil pressure relief valve. if it's stuck then all of the oil that the pump pushes out will go right back into the sump.

get a pancake adapter and put a pressure gauge on the oil filter. take the plugs out and crank away. you should see the oil pressure beginning to build. If you don't then you have either a stuck relief valve or a bad oil pump (which may have caused your turbo failure in the first place)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pressure relief valve was good. Found the problem...

The crank looked good, pulled the valve cover and there's very little sludge up top. But the strainer was plugged solid. She's running quieter than ever now. Of course it's blowing massive amounts of smoke from the 3 quarts of oil lining the exhaust when the turbo blew up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts