SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
saab 2001 9-5 tech help

How do I know if the direct ignition is bad, I just had a new DIC put in by the dealer, if it's bad can it be jump started?

After the engine started I drove it for 15 mins, park it, went to the store, came back and the car won't start again and had to be re-jumped. After that I put a new battery in, drove for another 30 mins. parked it and the battery is dead. Could this be an alternator problem or is that the DIC problem?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, sounds very much like you have the symptoms of a failing crankshaft position sensor (CPS) which is usually the main cause of not being able to start the car even if its been ran a while and is still warm. Im sure one of the more experienced members could give you a more definite diagnosis.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fairly late on to add anything on this item but I've had the car serviced today and having had a letter through a few weeks ago from Saab UK stating that the 9-5 needed a new DI, Concept in Sutton pulled the job in with the service. Nothing much else to report really, I've got my signed, stamped evidence of work done and the car feels top notch.

There had been a couple of times when the CEL came on during the last few months but the next day was ok again and I suspect the DI was at fault although power delivery and feel was completely normal. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
wease206 said:
I just had a new DIC put in by the dealer, if it's bad can it be jump started?
No, if the DI's dead then it's dead.

wease206 said:
After that I put a new battery in, drove for another 30 mins. parked it and the battery is dead.
It's doubtful that this is DI related.

What made you think the battery was dead ?
Just because it didn't start up or did you check it with a meter ?

As BAM says, it sounds like it could be CPS.
Do a search, there's lots of info around these parts on how to fit a new one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
saab 2001 9-5 tech help

i found the problem alternator was bad have no ideal how all i did was change dic and spark plug and battery died was went to dealer tested was i was a bad alternator only 50k miles problem fix not cps or dic

·
Registered
9 Posts
DI cassete

Kermit
My apologies for being dim but I have a 1998 2.3 se ecoturbo I believe its variant is m98, Is this subject likely to be an issue for me?

All B205 & B235 engines for the MY00-02 and V6 models for MY01-03

DI's are checked for serial no and only replaced if between range, also there is retroactove reimbursment if you have replaced a DI and Cat within 3mnths or 3,000 miles of a failed DI, this has to be on a computer produced invoice and will cover parts and labour

If you look at your VIN number on 4cyl engines its 10th digit being Y-1-2 and v6 9-5 10th digit 1-2-3, so if you have a my99 car registered in 00 its not covered, like wise if you have an 03 car registered in 02 its not covered.

DI serial no's
b205/b235 d000000-d336210 or b083821-b096117
b308 c048743-f000999

Please not this is NOT a recall, its a "service campaign" which means the onus is on the dealers to contact anybody with a vehicle that falls into the specified MY/engine specs. If you are not on a dealers database then you will not get any notification, its up to you to take the vehicle in to get it checked.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
55 Posts
also there is retroactove reimbursment if you have replaced a DI and Cat within 3mnths or 3,000 miles of a failed DI, this has to be on a computer produced invoice and will cover parts and labour(quote)

My DI gave up last August and I bought a new cassette from my local dealer. Fitted it myself as the car was stuck 40miles away.

Didn't get letter from Saab until January.

Went to my local dealer in March and three months later got full refund. Not bad service from Saab considering I do approx 2500miles /month. :lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
just had a look under the bonnet and found the serial number of my cassette to be wihtin the recall range (d096454)....I think I shuld get a new one under this recall campane ...emailed saab norway...got an answer that my car probably was affected by the recall. How nice...my D.I.C is 6 years old and have done 120K KM and my car has given me a couple of P1334 error codes lately(random misfire). I think it might be the D.I.C starting to fail.
Ill ring the local dealer tomorrow and have a chat with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealer let me down

My 9-5 conked out on me last week and it turns out the cause was a DI cartridge that was covered by the recall.

My car died while stopped at some lights, but it could just as easily have happened at 70MPH on a motorway (one of the service people at Saab City confirmed this - it's not something that just happens when the vehicle is stationary). Obviously losing all power in the fast lane of a motorway is a potentially fatal situation to me, my passengers and other road-users.

So I'm aggrieved that Saab didn't get in touch to tell me about the recall.
I bought the car ex-demo from Saab and have it serviced by them so I'm on their database. But I didn't receive a letter about the recall. I know that only certain serial numbers are affected, but surely there's a duty on Saab's part to let people know if there's a risk that their car might be one of the ones that's about to conk out at any moment?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
It wasnt a recall, it was a "service campaign", I think thats a Saab way of saying - we arent gonna try too hard :roll:

Glad your ok and its sorted ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Loosing power at high speed is hardly dangerous. I've had someone shut off my car completely at 75 mph and before I figured out what the problem was, I coasted to the right lane in traffic and got on the shoulder. Ever since the ignition has been the first thing I check lol. These cars coast impressive distances, so don't sweat that.

Also, I never got a warning of the recall either. With the DIC, usually there is a CEL wellll before there is any serious problems, I they probably figure that it'll be figured out safely. Plus if someone ignores a CEL, it's not their problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ID # for service campaign? Does GM honour it now that Saab is gone?

I know this is an old thread, but my questions are related...

Is there a reference number for the recall/service campaign? It makes it easier to talk to the dealer if I can give him something that he can look up...

Also, does anyone know if GM is honouring this since Saab is gone now?

Thanks!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts