SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok folks its finally happened, SAAB UK have issued a "service campaign" to all dealers for a DI check. If you are on a dealers list then they should be contacting you if your vehicle falls into the following criteria.....

All B205 & B235 engines for the MY00-02 and V6 models for MY01-03

DI's are checked for serial no and only replaced if between range, also there is retroactove reimbursment if you have replaced a DI and Cat within 3mnths or 3,000 miles of a failed DI, this has to be on a computer produced invoice and will cover parts and labour

If you look at your VIN number on 4cyl engines its 10th digit being Y-1-2 and v6 9-5 10th digit 1-2-3, so if you have a my99 car registered in 00 its not covered, like wise if you have an 03 car registered in 02 its not covered.

DI serial no's
b205/b235 d000000-d336210 or b083821-b096117
b308 c048743-f000999

Please not this is NOT a recall, its a "service campaign" which means the onus is on the dealers to contact anybody with a vehicle that falls into the specified MY/engine specs. If you are not on a dealers database then you will not get any notification, its up to you to take the vehicle in to get it checked.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks

About a week a go I posted a question to ask the price of a DIC, someone gave me a link which quoted 87 pounds. Luckily I have not ordered it yet as I called my Saab dealer today and although they cannot tell me definitley whether it will be replaced until they see the car......I am hoping. Thanks Kermit.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi there Kermit,

Do you know whether a dealer has to have diagnosed and replaced the DI Cass for you to get retroactive reimbursement? When my DI failed last year I just bought one from the parts dept of the dealer and shoved it in (technical term) myself..

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect the dealer must confirm the DI was from the faulty batch before doing a retroactive payment. You've probably thrown the faulty DI not realising that this service campaign was going to be announced. If it was the original DI that came with the car you might be able to argue it fell into the criteria they specify.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmm will have a rummage in the back of the garden shed to see whether I kept it by any chance. Mind you, it failed after I'd done 93,000 miles on it so it didn't exactly owe me anything. Still, if you can cadge a refund, why not? ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
First day I look at this site and I win a DI cartridge

Just rang the dealer re the campaign as I had a DI Cartridge fail in September which I replaced with the one I had been carrying around as a spare for three years (me cautious <g>) to find out that I will be eligible for a new cartridge.

And as I noted in the title I first looked at this forum yesterday.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Called dealer on this as my DI failed earlier this year and was replaced by them with a charge to me. I got the usual umms and arrs and they went away to find out the correct procedure.

10 - 15 minutes later they call back and tell me that I have to contact Saab directly for any further info.

I told him what I thought (which was one word, choose any you like) and said thank you.

Anyone had any positive outcome on this?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ok, so i've just received another call
(they've read the instructions this time :roll: )

They say I just need to bring in my receipt and they'll sort it.
:cool: :cheesy: :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Di !!!!!!

Kermit,

Thanks for the info.

My wife (9-5 Airflow Estate) is at present stuck on the roundabout by Highbury & Islington Station, the car just splutered, jerked & died!!

I presume it is the DI cassette. Anyway the tow truck has just arrived 21.40 after an hour an a half. Our first Saab let down after owning two Classic 900's since 2001.

Yesterday a Peugeot woman rammed the back of my t16S Convertible. So I guess there's a bad Saab cloud over us!

Shall speak to the dealer tommorow to see if I can get a free DI cassette, or is ther something else to look for??

Thanks again, your'e a star!

Amal :(

ps. Just had a call I presume they did a diagnostic test on it. Anyone heard of a "Faulty Crank Shaft Sensor" ???

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, the Crankshaft Position Sensor is a common cause of stalling/non starting problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
DI after all

My diagnosis was right after all.

Having replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the car still would not start. So rushed backed to Ballards of Fincheley to get a DI cartridge. Free replacement I expected! I even had a print out of this post and the faulty DI. They refused to give me one without the car present, so I have had to fork out £165 for a new cartridge(Although they did give me a warranty replacement-boxed one). I have arranged to take it back next Saturday for them to check that it was the faulty cartridge, so they can give me a refund. The serial number was one in the Faulty Range!

Anyway needless to say the car started on the button after fitting. Certainly has more Ooomph and hopefullly more mpg.

I did wait a couple of hours after installing to start it, to ensure that the coil oils were where they should be as recommended by the Haynes Manual and on this website. Saab Fincheley reckon you do not need to take this precaution!

Anyway, I am glad it is not a blown engine(My worst nightmare about owning this car) and hopefully a few years of reliable service ahead.

Will give you all an update after my visit to the dealer on Saturday

Amal

PS. You need to drop the exhaust front pipe to get to the Crankshaft Position Sensor!!! For anyone attempting it. Relatively easy job.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Amal said:
I did wait a couple of hours after installing to start it, to ensure that the coil oils were where they should be as recommended by the Haynes Manual and on this website. Saab Fincheley reckon you do not need to take this precaution!
They will have given you this advice because the DI they fitted will have been sat on a shelf, right way up, so no need to wait.

Amal said:
PS. You need to drop the exhaust front pipe to get to the Crankshaft Position Sensor!!! For anyone attempting it. Relatively easy job.
:eek:
No need to remove anything other than the sensor itself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, I just recieved my DI service campaign letter from my dealer ("Service Campaign 15444"). The thing is, mine says
certain 9-3 and 9-5 Model Year 00 to Model Year 03 vehicles
are covered whereas this post says MY00-02...

My Saab is an 03...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All B205 & B235 engines for the MY00-02 and V6 models for MY01-03
If you have an Aero then you have the B235R engine which is covered upto MY02, its only the V6 that gets covered to MY03.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi guys had my local mechanic check out my DI when I had the exhaust fitted and he said my DI falls into the catagory which need replacement...I went to my local Saab dealer and he said that they didn't have my Chassis number on their computers so they could not help me??

He also said because it had its first service in Sweden before coming to the UK it is classed as an import....What I can't understand is that it has been serviced by Saab Maindealer North City Saab chigwell since it was new so how come they have no knowledge of the car on their systems?

If anyone can help please drop me a mail? Not sure what to do now but certainly think I should get a free replacement

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Aero Hot,

When the dealer did a search on the system did they search by chassis number or by car reg? I had a similar thing at Beechwood Saab Derby. They asked if the car had ever had a 'cherished numberplate'. I didn't buy it new so I wasn't sure. They came out to the car copied a few numbers from the plate on the dash and found it on the computer.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi

They told me to speak to Saab direct,going to give them a ring tomorrow....the car has full service history with Chigwell Saab main dealer from new so i'll be demanding a new DI!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
DI Refund

Went back to the dealer on Saturday with the car and the old DI cartridge for a pre-booked appointment. No problems got my £165 refunded so very pleased.

Promplty spent most of it in the parts dept buying some roof bits for my 91 T16s Convertible.

Thanks again Kermit!

Amal.:)

PS. Aerohot: Suggest diplomacy not demand!

Amal said:
My diagnosis was right after all.

Having replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the car still would not start. So rushed backed to Ballards of Fincheley to get a DI cartridge. Free replacement I expected! I even had a print out of this post and the faulty DI. They refused to give me one without the car present, so I have had to fork out £165 for a new cartridge(Although they did give me a warranty replacement-boxed one). I have arranged to take it back next Saturday for them to check that it was the faulty cartridge, so they can give me a refund. The serial number was one in the Faulty Range!

Anyway needless to say the car started on the button after fitting. Certainly has more Ooomph and hopefullly more mpg.

Anyway, I am glad it is not a blown engine(My worst nightmare about owning this car) and hopefully a few years of reliable service ahead.

Will give you all an update after my visit to the dealer on Saturday

Amal

1 - 20 of 53 Posts