SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my basslink died, i sent it back saying i wasn't happy with it.. hopefully they won't check to see if it's dead. i think it was just a bad unit, it didn't sound so great from day one.

anyway, i had a professional job done in my trunk for the wiring .. so all of that is still intact. i'm going to get a conventional amp/sub box this time -- so here's my question.

is it possible to run a line out converter twice? what i mean is, the guys who did my car had the speaker wire spliced and run into RCA cables. can i run those into a LOC and turn them back into L/R speaker signals for a conventional amp?

·
Super Moderator
20,335 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with 2 LOC's. Just remove the RCA cables from the splice. Run those wires to an LOC and a run a new set of RCA's to your amp.

I don't understand why your installer set up your system the way they did. As I understand it the wires in the 9-3 have a decent amount of voltage running through them. Probably fried your basslink.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
wtfwill said:
the guys who did my car had the speaker wire spliced and run into RCA cables. can i run those into a LOC and turn them back into L/R speaker signals for a conventional amp?
No. If they tapped the speaker wires and ran them into RCA's you just have speaker level signals going through an RCA plug. Back in the 50's this is how speaker wires were often hooked up. This insured proper polarity when setting up a "Hi-Fi". (I have a friend who collects this vintage stuff.)

Most LOC's only have RCA female jacks for the line-out side. What you could do is cut the RCA's off the taps and wire them to the wire (input) side of the LOC. You need to to know which wires are which to make the right connections, but there are only 4 wires to worry about here.

If you ran speaker level RCA's into the low-level RCA inputs on your Basslink, then it is very likely that was the problem. Low-level inputs accept a signal in the millivolt range (e.g 150 mV). Speaker level from a Saab amp can peak at 10-20 Volts (10,000-20,000 mV). Good chance this fried the Basslink.

The two most common problems which perplex even experienced installers are:
1) Poor grounding. Seems to upset Basslinks in particular, but can be a problem with other eqipment as well.
2) LOC rated for typical factory power (2-5 Watts). Those don't cut it for the Saab. You need something that can handle 20 Watts. These LOC's are not hard to find, it's just that a lot of manufacturers don't give specific power handling data on their packaging. There are some good ones available in stores and on-line.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the more you explain the more sense that makes. i told the company that the basslink wasn't to my liking and want a refund.. hopefully they won't check to see that it's fried =x

i used my dad's ****ty sub/amp and it worked/sounded GREAT with the current rca splicing. i guess they used the wrong kind of stuff for my basslink, but the right kind of stuff for a more powerful and conventional amp..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts