SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ran a ton of errands yesterday. Started off by filling up the gas tank, about 12 gallons of gas, 93 octance, from the station I always go to.

Ran around town for a bit, and eventually noticed the CEL was on. I don't know how long it had been on, but I do know it wasn't on when I left my house (note: no messages on the SID, and the car seemed to be running perfectly normal). Anyways, my first thought was the gas cap issue, but then I remembered my dealership had replaced that in Nov 2008 (note: I never got a CEL for the gas cap before, they just decided to replace it then because the car was in getting new front struts under warranty). I also thought about sparks plugs, but I don't know; they were all changed at 30k miles right before I bought the car in 2006.

The only time I've gotten a CEL in this car was back in June 2008 while driving through a heavy rainstorm from Quantico, VA to D.C. The dealership down there replaced the SAI valve. Problem fixed, no big deal.

The car has about 74k miles on it, and has had regular maintaince performed at every interval. It was last in the shop in in June/July 2009 to have an oil change, and have the brake fluid and coolant flushed. Speaking of oil change, I planned on getting an oil change this week, as I have gone about 7k miles since my last one in Nov 2009. Should I ask the guys at the dealership to pull the code while the car is there? I don't think they will give me hard time, as I give them steady business and they are honest (been dealing with them for 3 years). My only other thought is to take the car to Autozone to pull the code, or just disconnect the battery and see if the CEL comes back.

I'm leaning towards just taking the car in on Thurs for the oil change and letting the Saab techs just pull the code then; don't know if I want someone from Autozone doing that for me. I'm equally as tempted to just disconnect the battery, but part of me thinks that may not be responsible, lol.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I ran a ton of errands yesterday. Started off by filling up the gas tank, about 12 gallons of gas, 93 octance, from the station I always go to.

Ran around town for a bit, and eventually noticed the CEL was on. I don't know how long it had been on, but I do know it wasn't on when I left my house (note: no messages on the SID, and the car seemed to be running perfectly normal). Anyways, my first thought was the gas cap issue, but then I remembered my dealership had replaced that in Nov 2008 (note: I never got a CEL for the gas cap before, they just decided to replace it then because the car was in getting new front struts under warranty). I also thought about sparks plugs, but I don't know; they were all changed at 30k miles right before I bought the car in 2006.

The only time I've gotten a CEL in this car was back in June 2008 while driving through a heavy rainstorm from Quantico, VA to D.C. The dealership down there replaced the SAI valve. Problem fixed, no big deal.

The car has about 74k miles on it, and has had regular maintaince performed at every interval. It was last in the shop in in June/July 2009 to have an oil change, and have the brake fluid and coolant flushed. Speaking of oil change, I planned on getting an oil change this week, as I have gone about 7k miles since my last one in Nov 2009. Should I ask the guys at the dealership to pull the code while the car is there? I don't think they will give me hard time, as I give them steady business and they are honest (been dealing with them for 3 years). My only other thought is to take the car to Autozone to pull the code, or just disconnect the battery and see if the CEL comes back.

I'm leaning towards just taking the car in on Thurs for the oil change and letting the Saab techs just pull the code then; don't know if I want someone from Autozone doing that for me. I'm equally as tempted to just disconnect the battery, but part of me thinks that may not be responsible, lol.

Thoughts?
I had the same issue some time ago and the CEL cleared after 3 to 5 successful restarts. Assuming, this was a simple misfire or anomaly that caused the CEL to come up in the first place. Might save you some money and time if you try this first.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Just go to an Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance..... even your local gas station and have the code read free... simple.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
did you make sure you put the gas cap on tight?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did you make sure you put the gas cap on tight?
I re-tightened it when I got home. Turned the car on, and the CEL is still there. Haven't started the car today.

How long would it take a CEL to clear if it were the gas cap? Would it go away on the next restart?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So should I just disconnect the battery? If there is infact problem and it wasn't an anonomly, would the cel turn right back on?

I'm not sure if its better to get the code read on Thursday...

·
Registered
158 Posts
You could just disconnect the battery; However, if i'm not mistaken when power is restored you will have to enter your security code for the radio. Personally, I have never allowed anyone but saab mechanics or myself to do anything to my car with the exception of tires. I simply dont trust Autozone, pep boys etc with my Saab (my beater truck is an exception :D).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could just disconnect the battery; However, if i'm not mistaken when power is restored you will have to enter your security code for the radio. Personally, I have never allowed anyone but saab mechanics or myself to do anything to my car with the exception of tires. I simply dont trust Autozone, pep boys etc with my Saab (my beater truck is an exception :D).
I've never heard anything about a sercurity code for the radio... I've reset the battery before and all I had to do after was reset the auto up/down on all my windows.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just vaguely remember having to call the dealer about the radio after they replaced the battery when it was under warranty (4 years ago). As I said, I might be mistaken about a security code.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
There is no security code for the SS radio. This is a simple CEL, just have the code read and it will be solved.....

Not trusting Autozone or Pep Boys to read a code is a bit far fetched.... they just plug in the OBD II and you read the code.

This thread is starting to sound like a Troll.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd just pull the code at AutoZone / Pep Boys and find out what your car is trying to tell you. You can always clear the code later.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no security code for the SS radio. This is a simple CEL, just have the code read and it will be solved.....

Not trusting Autozone or Pep Boys to read a code is a bit far fetched.... they just plug in the OBD II and you read the code.

This thread is starting to sound like a Troll.....
My thread sounds like a troll? Are you f'ing serious? I've been posting here for over 2 and half years, look at my post history.

You know Jonv I have to be honest, I respect that you post a lot here, but what the hell is up with your snarky comments and elitist attitude? I've seen how you respond to some threads that you consider to be simple or not important. Well guess what, not everyone is as knowledgable about these cars as you. These forums are here for us to help eachother. You should think about how your posts sound to people.

I'm just really irritated you would have the balls to call me a troll. That's just not right.

·
Registered
158 Posts
JonV--Please forgive me for offering my assistance as a new member. I can see from your many postings that you are either very helpful, opinionated or an absolute Saab guru. Either way, I will be sure to refer others in the absolute opposite direction of The Great JonV; for trolling WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!! LOL!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well in all honesty you wrote a paragraph on how you got a CEL.

Just get it checked somewhere.
Doesn't give him the right to try to discredit me. Anyone that knows me or even looked at my post history would know my posts are usually lengthy and detailed; no matter what the topic is.

A cel concerns me, as the car is OOW now, and I was just looking for some guidance and discussion. There's absolutely no need for me to be called a troll though.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I wasn't trying to discredit you, a dozen guys will give you a dozen different very possible bonafide reasons for a CEL. If you simply check the code you have the answer. Posting the code in here to see if someone has the WIS definition would get you a very detailed answer...

There are over 1000 P codes that can cause a CEL.... not counting B. C and U codes.

Don't take it so Personally, I wasn't calling you anything, your post asks an unanswerable question... Why did you get a CEL. The simple way to find out is get the code read.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seriously, you guys don't trust Autozone to plug in an OBD-II reader, to the point that you'll pay the dealer $80 to do it?

You guys are suckers. Seriously.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Velvet--Thanks for the insight, but I have a friend that will let me borrow his obd-II scanner and yes as a last resort I would take it to Autozone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Velvet--Thanks for the insight, but I have a friend that will let me borrow his obd-II scanner and yes as a last resort I would take it to Autozone.
the best thing i ever bought on ebay was a cheap usb odb-II reader from some place in china. it changed my life--highly recommend picking one up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.