SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been a while since my last post so my car has been running fine :cheesy:

I noticed the other day that both of my front tyres are worn on the outer edges. The rest of the tyre is fine with loads of tread left. My first thoughts were tracking but only one edge wears with a tracking fault apparently and not both edges.

My tyres are FALKEN ZIEX. I did a search for tyre problems and i read one other guy has had a problem with his falken tyres wearing on both outer edges.

The guy at kwik fit says it could be suspension which sorta scared me as it sounds expensive and i had new suspension fitted about 18 months ago.

Anyone got any ideas on what it might be? Maybe cheap tyres?

Oh yeah the tyres have been on the car for over a year and maybe covered 10,000 miles

Cheers

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
It would certainly be worth getting the alignment / tracking checked ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
What tyre pressures are you running, both outer edges would suggest an underinflated trye.
p

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
paolo said:
What tyre pressures are you running, both outer edges would suggest an underinflated trye.
p
I think Retribution means the outside edge on both wheels rather than both edges on each wheel :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Always rotate tires at 6000 miles or less. You will just about always have outer wear on any tire is you don't. Cornering eats up that outer edge. Rotation and balancing will add many, many miles to tread life. Alignment(camber in particular could be off, but rotation will usually let you know because they will wear unevenly at lesser milages.:nono;

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I will get the tracking checked by a more helpful garage i think and yes chris its both tyres on the front with both edges on each tyre worn

Replies are so quick here its ace:cheesy:

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would agree with Paolo, it's probably your tire pressure...especially an issue on the fronts. Let me guess, you have 30 - 32 psi in your front tires?
You should be in the 38 - 40 psi range as these are heavy cars, especially in the front.
Don't go by what the tire or tire company says as they are only interested in giving you a smooth soft ride.

Having said that, i'm assuming that you have not noticed any strange behavour from the new suspension and that you are not driving like you are on an indy course! Nudge nudge wink wink..:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes i do have 32 PSI in the fronts, i think i'll try them at 38 and see what happens.

I do sometimes drive hard but not all the time :cheesy: certainly not enough to create such damage to my tyres.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Retribution said:
Yes i do have 32 PSI in the fronts, i think i'll try them at 38 and see what happens.

I do sometimes drive hard but not all the time :cheesy: certainly not enough to create such damage to my tyres.

Cheers
Falkens seem to have this problem from what I've heard. I wouldn't sweat your suspension just yet. Sounds to me as if the outer sidewalls are pretty weak, which I wouldn't be surprised on a cheap tire. What is the load rating on those tires?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tyres are V rated.

I had the tracking checked today and it was spot on, the link arms that link the anti roll bar are worn and making a clunking sound, i've seen these for £10.50 on the net and they look easy to replace so i think i'll do it myself.

They guy in the shop said 10,000 miles is about right for tyres especially cheap ones :roll:

Now im wondering what tyres to get ??

Hope you all had a great Xmas :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Mine was wonderful! Thanks for asking! :cool:

I just got Goodyear ResponseEdge all-season tires and they are brilliant so far with about 4 or 5k miles on them. I haven't gotten to drive them in the snow yet, but I plan to soon and I'll get back to you guys. There have been several threads on tires around here, search for one started by Wulf, it's a pretty in-depth conversation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.