I have just had these fitted today "Aquilla MP41 by Matador" 195/60x15" 88V
on the front of my T8

the main reason is they were very very very cheap :cheesy: £5 each

I'll see how they perform over the next few weeks/months

Paul

·
Registered
883 Posts
You are mad - sorry to be blunt - you are putting your life and the life of other road users at risk by running cheap tyres like these on a powerfull car like yours (any car infact). The only 2 times I have had accidents in a Saab were due to poor tyres - 1 early on when I didn't know much and later when I test drove a mates car who had spent slightly more than you on budget tyres. They will let you down when you most need them - my advice to any car owner is to never ever buy budget or remould tyres - they are the only thing that keeps you in contact with the road and in control of your car.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand your comments, but these tyres are only for a short time..

until I get my Minilites on the T8

but I hear what you are saying, the guys at X-Spurt tyres in Ipswich who fitted these today have said that they have a very good record they have fitted many of them over the year with no problems...

these Aquilla MP41 by Matador the company is now owned by Continental who now sell the same tyre for double the cost they used to be.....

as for me paying £5 each for them, thats cheap yes but I brought them from my Mechanic, who gets things cheap & they are from a known car with known history..

but if you had seen my NSF tyre today a old style Federal tyre with its age cracks in the sidewall these Aquilla are 100% better.......

also 95% of my daily driving is in town Sub-30mph

Paul

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Trackside your too hard on Pda

I had the worst tyres on my car in the history of Saabs am sure, Coleways, or Killways! remould specials! the last owner was a cheap skate and i told him, i judged a car by its tyres, if there all cheap and miss matched that tells me volume about the owner! silence followed that conversation.

I replaced those rubber bands with Avon tyres, bought on ebay, they had 5 mm of tread and have given me 10K easy the difference is there much softer, less road nose, the grip way better and smooths out more of the road.

If i could shell out on the best tyre i would have to get Bridgestones, the Potenzas SO2 or SO3, i know there about the best but the price is no joke.

I also agree tyres are very important, but even more important is the road condition, if your skating on ice, no tyre can save you.

I think as long as the tyres dont have side wall punctures and are not perishing, they should be just fine.

isnt the H speed rating for 130mph?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wasn't being hard on PDA as he didn't state in his original post that these were just temporary runaround tyres.
"I also agree tyres are very important, but even more important is the road condition" - we can't change the road conditions on which we drive but we can ensure that we have the best tyre to deal with it.
" think as long as the tyres dont have side wall punctures and are not perishing, they should be just fine." - no way as there is a hell of a lot of difference between good and bad tyres in 'as new' condition. Would you trust cheap brake pads and disks ? fit the cheapest shock absorbers you could find? just because they looked OK. After my afformentioned incidents with rubbish tyre brands I'm a bit of a tyre evangalist - it still amazes me how people are prepared to save money in this area.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add petrol to the fire :cheesy: :cheesy:

this is a quote from mytyres.com about Aquilla MP41 by Matador

"High Performance tyres for Ambitious drivers with a high safety and a sporty driving style, great track fidelity in curves and exceeds"

Paul

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you'll find its from mytyres.com ;)

Paul

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
883 Posts
The tests in Mytyres are consumer feedback tests (and there isn't one for the MP41) - hardly the best way of judging something as important as a tyre but OK for buying a dishwasher.
I was not knocking this particular tyre which may well be OK for it's type - I'm just against budget tyres and and will argue against anyone who thinks it's clever and worthwhile to fit them to a high perfromance car they intend to use on the road.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes - loads of marketing press releases designed to promote the brand based on specific racing tyres which are likely totaly different from their road tyre range. Show me an independent test of this actual tyre compared with the competition from the other manufacturers and I'll be convinced.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Personally I find consumer reviews very important when buying tyres, when you can have many thousands of people and their impressions in far more varied real-life driving - in fact I was pointed towards Dunlop SP Sport 9000, having never previously considered Dunlops before, because of a thread in which several people stated how good they were, and I've been equally impressed. I also checked them out on tirerack who base their results on... consumer reviews.

I tend to avoid budget tyres - I had some called Fate that came on the car when I bought it, and while they were OK, I got rid of them as soon as I could. Fate are Argentinian, and were OK in the dry but shocking in the wet. Matador are Slovakian, and I suspect like many Eastern European companies, they are a great deal better than the price would indicate - a lot of these guys make products of an equivalent standard to any others in Europe, but they are still much cheaper than the big names.

The other thing is of course that I know both Paul's mechanic and X-Spurt tyres . There is no way on earth either would advise that he used inappropriate tyres. In fact it was at X-Spurt that the guy told me those Fates I had on were totally inappropriate for a car as powerful as mine.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Its a shame its so hard to compare different tyres. Going from an old, balding knackered tyre to something newer is always going to be an improvement!

I've just put the set of continentals i bought for my 99T on my 900T as i suddenly noticed how worn out the tyres on the 900T were, and the continentals are a vast improvement - but i am comparing them to a pair of very tired BFG's.

I would still like to know how the continentals compare to some of the cheaper tyres i could have bought (i've never spent so much on car tyres before - but this is my first 'fast' car so i've never really noticed the limitations previously)

Reviews are all very well but theres nowt like having a set on your own car for a few days to see what they are like!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Allrite, Tyre fight!!

Anyhow, here in the states Kumho is considered by many a budget tire, and still is also very well rated, both professionally and by users on tirerack etc.
To ignore these ratings would be foolish, be it a dishwasher or tires.

I find it somewhat elitist that anyone would consider the opinions of other
motorists un-inmportant, and can only say I got my Ecsta ASX Kumhos
based on tirerack opinions and performance BBS's.

I love them, an all weather tire that hangs with anything my SPG can dish out.

Of course I'm not a accomplished racedriver, I doubt any of them would find either my car or its tires interesting at all.

CN

·
Registered
883 Posts
Proper tyre tests tend to take the tyre to the limit - they test wet braking, dry braking, breakaway in a turn etc. How many consumers do this on just 1 set let alone 5 sets side by side? These are exactly the kind of tests that you need to do as they are what is important when your life is on the line. Most consumers replace tyres when theirs are worn out - any new tyre is likely to 'feel' better than their old 50K rubber with 1mm of tread left. Motorists 'opinions' based on spurious methods of evaluation should be taken with a great deal of care - OK if 100's of people are all saying the same thing you may feel comfortable with a choice but many of these tyre ratings are based on a handfull of these 'opinions'.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Evo magazine occasionally conduct tyre tests.

I had a pair of CEAT tyre (made by Pirelli) on my 900 8v, and they were excellent in wet and dry even though they were inexpensive. Now I have another brand of inexpensive tyre, and THEY ARE A DEATH TRAP. Can't remember their brand right now.

Bridgestone longer make the S02 tyre. Toyo T1-R tyres are excellent (I know from personal experience on a rain soaked trackday), as are Bridgestone S03 and Goodyear Eagle F1.

Toyo T1-R tyres on a 15-inch rim are surprisingly inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
trackside said:
Yes - loads of marketing press releases designed to promote the brand based on specific racing tyres which are likely totaly different from their road tyre range.
Is this the same as what happened in F1 the other week :eek: :eek: tyres blowing up from the major tyre makers ;oops: ;oops: the big French "M"
which has cost them in excess of $10 million so far.....

Bridgestone were considered cheap tyres a many years ago too............

Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
trackside said:
Proper tyre tests tend to take the tyre to the limit - they test wet braking, dry braking, breakaway in a turn etc. How many consumers do this on just 1 set let alone 5 sets side by side? These are exactly the kind of tests that you need to do as they are what is important when your life is on the line. Most consumers replace tyres when theirs are worn out - any new tyre is likely to 'feel' better than their old 50K rubber with 1mm of tread left. Motorists 'opinions' based on spurious methods of evaluation should be taken with a great deal of care - OK if 100's of people are all saying the same thing you may feel comfortable with a choice but many of these tyre ratings are based on a handfull of these 'opinions'.
I agree with trackside.
It might be easy to pretend like all the fellow motorist are intelligent. But they are all just consumers. Outside of these enthusist BBs the majority of people don't really know what they are doing.

comfotablynumb said:
\
I find it somewhat elitist that anyone would consider the opinions of other
motorists un-inmportant
Elitist? Yes. I think so.
SAAB's by choice over and over again, and a favorite web site being a symposium of other SAAB owners experiences and ideas....I think that is a bit of an elite stance in comparison with my female friend who changes her oil when the pressure light comes on, or my mother who warps every set of brake rotors she can get her hands on, or how about Andy, who puts the clutch in every time he goes into a turn.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A refinement

I decided to go to tire rack and read some tire reviews for a Continental summer tire that I selected randomly.

I must admit that it has caused me to refine my stance on the importance of consumer reviews of tires. There was a pattern of problems that stood out about people having "out of round" round tires. I think this is valid and that the consumer reviews indicate a potential problem with this tire. This is useful.

I would not, however, put much emphasis on the reviews that say "This tire handles great in the wet, dry, ect." I think people for the most part have very limited knowledge about comparing tires and that it is only valuable from independent testing.

Occasionally I see people write reviews for preformance tires that drive M3s to the auto-cross and comment on all the different tires they have raced there. THat is valuable, but rare.

This review that I just read makes me want to fight this guy. I'd care to deal him a 'fatal beating'.

"Being in Seattle, Ive driven through the Palouse during summer at speeds of 120 MPH, they handled really well in the heat. Ive blown Goodyears on the same drive at only 90 MPH. Ive also driven across the Pass during winter and can tell you these are not snow tires. I think they are loud but [] I usually drive with the radio cranked to compensate... I think the music complements my "spirited" driving."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts