SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...the car is a 1987 Saab 9000S, non-turbo, 5-speed manual transmission.

1) Where do I check and add the oil to the transmission? There's one bolt that's located next to what looks like a sensor that plugs into the transmission, but I'm having trouble getting it off...is it that one? Or is it a different one? Pictures would be awesome!

2) The transmission leaks oil...are there any common spots that these cars leak from? It looks like it's coming from the bottom of the transmission where the housing bolts together...is there any easy way to repair that that doesn't involve taking the entire transmission out of the car?

Cheers!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ronin_301 said:
Okay...the car is a 1987 Saab 9000S, non-turbo, 5-speed manual transmission.

1) Where do I check and add the oil to the transmission? There's one bolt that's located next to what looks like a sensor that plugs into the transmission, but I'm having trouble getting it off...is it that one? Or is it a different one? Pictures would be awesome!

2) The transmission leaks oil...are there any common spots that these cars leak from? It looks like it's coming from the bottom of the transmission where the housing bolts together...is there any easy way to repair that that doesn't involve taking the entire transmission out of the car?

Cheers!
1. I believe the early ones had a dipstick on the front of the tranny where the ducting from the air cleaner runs.

2. The oil coming out between the bellhousing and the engine could also be engine oil leaking from the rear main seal. Smell some oil from the dipstick and then smell the oil from the leak to see if its engine oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
abusot said:
1. I believe the early ones had a dipstick on the front of the tranny where the ducting from the air cleaner runs.

2. The oil coming out between the bellhousing and the engine could also be engine oil leaking from the rear main seal. Smell some oil from the dipstick and then smell the oil from the leak to see if its engine oil.
Thanks! I'll go check for the dipstick once it's lighter out.

As for the oil, sadly it's definitely the transmission...I was having tranny problems about a month and a half ago before I parked it, and took it to my mechanic who said there was pretty much no oil left in the transmission. Just took it out for a drive, and as soon as it warms up it leaks bad. Looks like it might just get parked again :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No such luck on finding that dipstick...closest thing I can find resembling one is the bleed line for the clutch. Where is it in relation to that?

I did find something in the tranny under the injector rail....there was a 19mm bolt that, when you took it out, left a large enough hole that it looks like it's potentially a filler hole, and then some kind of sensor beside it....the sensor goes into a VERY small hole, and has a little stick on the end that does have some oil on it....doesn't seem nearly long enough though.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
87 had sealed transmissions. You can add oil but there is no drain. The engine dipstick will have notches on it with "trans" marked on one side which is to act as the transmission dipstick. The oil level is to be between the notches for the tranny level. The filler plug is removed and the engine oil dipstick inserted to check the level.

There is no way to tell if the oil is leaking from the engine or the tranny as they both use the same engine oil.
Leaks from the bell housing hole will likely be from the input shaft seal and removal of the tranny is required to repair this. The tranny also has to come apart I should think to replace this seal. Engine oil also leaks from here if the crankshaft rear main seal is going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts