SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought an 83 Saab 900 turbo in really good shape with a bad turbo for $100. Yesterday I bought a parts car for $85. The parts car is also an 83 turbo but a four door. It runs (barely) and is in a bad way. I'm hoping to replace the bad turbo on the good car with this ok one. The bad car has rather new bilstein shocks and racing springs. I have never driven a saab and am wondering if I should take the suspension componants off and put them on the good car. I will not be autocrossing this car or anything I just want a cool looking and driving car. Any tips on Turbo swaps? Anyone need any parts off of a four door? Should I change the suspension. I am hoping to have the bad car evicted in one or two weeks.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi, Sounds like your gonna be busy !I'd strip the 4 door down to a bare shell . You unfortunatly have no idea what you are in need of so take it all . :cheesy: I hate to see anything good get scraped as parts are tough sometime to find for this vintage .I once bought 3 1950 fords when I was between jobs for$400.00 , (I was looking for a stock engine for mine:eek: )Fixed a low mile one and sold it for $900.00 cash and parted the other 2 out . Made around $3000 -$3500 + returned 1 I had modified years earlier back to stock for free! ;)Have a ball! :cheesy: Pat

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sorry to say, but you should have checked the turbo before buying the parts car.

The turbo should . .

1. NOT be full of coked oil.
2. spin freely
3. NOT have any chipped fins.
4. NOT have a lot of play on the axle.

Search the forum for inspecting a turbo. The fastest way to check is to unbolt the exhaust header pipe.

The hardest part is getting all the bolts undone and a circlip at the wastegate (Under the car). You will probably need an offset wrench to reach the bolt between the exhaust manifold and the block. It helps to have a buddy there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the input. Regardless of how difficult this is I am looking forward to the expierinence. Thanks for the info on the turbo. I started to disconnect it and found that the intake manifold hose was not even hoseclamped down, it was very loose and probably not even making a difference. This is really making me suspect a bad turbo. I will inspect it using your suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i got the turbo off of the parts car. What a pain! especially the oil return hose bolts! The turbo spins freely no cracks on the veins. The wastgate solonoid was not connected and in fact I think it had broken free. There is plenty of oil on the exterior of the turbo. None on the inside. I did notice a small hairline fracture on the inner housing. Does this mean the Turbo is trashed? Any tips on reinstalling the Oil return hose when I put this in my good car? From taking it out I know it'll be a huge pain.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The turbo is not cashable because of a hairline crack, depends if it can hold the pressure in side, and not throw it all out of the crack. When the turbo really heats up, the crack will probably close up, so you're good...
I too have a c900 T8 from '83 :)
Be sure to get the complete APC-system out of the donor-car aswell, along with electrics and so on. Might help you with fixes on the nicer car later on...
Daniel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts