SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my bid for extra power i am doing a few things to decrease intake temps (Eriks site) He mentions removing the two coolant pipes to the intake.
Problem is it dosent mention the role of the pipes in the first place, and i like to know what i have done:eek: All i can do is guess its keeping the intake warm for some reason:roll: will it have any negatives if removed?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not really experienced in the area (haven't done this [yet] myself), but the purpose of running coolant through the TB is to keep it warm in the winter I guess; the engine warms up faster. In short, during the summer, the intake temps will be a little cooler / during the winter, plan on reconnecting the hoses to the TB unless you can wait for it to warm up on its own.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The reason for running coolent through the throttle body is so that it doesnt freeze open/close in the coold winter climates of Sweeden. Ingenious idea but it also comes at a cost especially in the summer when that coolent is running through the TB which raises intake temps. If you think you get as cold as Sweeden in the winter than you might want to think about reconnecting during the winter but if not then dont worry about it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Marks900SE said:
The reason for running coolent through the throttle body is so that it doesnt freeze open/close in the coold winter climates of Sweeden...
It does not heat only the TB and the throttle plate. The coolant passes just above the connections for the PCV line and the vacuum line ports, which are tiny by comparison to the TB. The vac line ports do not go directly into the TB bore. They are actually connected to two small chambers in the TB casting, which are open toward the bottom, and into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Put in a little brass connection that has a valve in it. They are available at Home Depot. Rather than bypassing the whole tb, you just put this fitting in line with one of the lines. Cut it 3 inches before the tb and you'll be all set. But make sure you add a second route for the cooling with a V fitting so that the coolant flow doesn't stop. I don't know if this makes sense enough to get a mental picture though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marks900SE said:
The reason for running coolent through the throttle body is so that it doesnt freeze open/close in the coold winter climates of Sweeden. Ingenious idea but it also comes at a cost especially in the summer when that coolent is running through the TB which raises intake temps. If you think you get as cold as Sweeden in the winter than you might want to think about reconnecting during the winter but if not then dont worry about it.
Looks like i can get away with disconecting the pipes then:cheesy:

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Just keep an eye on the hoses when you connect them together. Both of mine split within a week of this modification. I guess it was the different angle or something.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
bkrell said:
PMI, so what are you saying???:eek:
It is not as simple as just heating the TB to keep the throttle plate from icing up. I would love to cap those lines and get rid of those hoses completely, but...

According to some people, when they add a catch can, it ends up with more conensed water than oil in it. The PCV line and port are tiny by comparison to other cars, which is easy to see looking at the size of most PCV valves in an auto part store. Probably more likely to clog or freeze than the throttle plate.

Those small chambers get just as coated with layers of sticky crud as the AIC and parts of the intake manifold. Heat may keep both oil and water vapor from condensing there as quickly. You can only see how that part of the TB is designed looking from the bottom because the vac and PCV lines open down into the manifold, not into the TB barrel. The triangular openings in the pic below look shiny, but they were black and full of sticky oil before cleaning.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Ahhh, well, I doubt it's having trouble evaporating down here in the summer...:cheesy: Why is our PCV system so frickin' worthless?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
bkrell said:
Why is our PCV system so frickin' worthless?
Best attempt to meet US emissions guidelines at the time the car was designed.

Not just a Saab issue btw.

I read somewhere that Saab designed a better system for the 9-3 and the 9-5 which was controlled electronically, but by then the rules had changed again and was not able to use it. Details are posted on some European web site, deals mostly with 9-5 issues though, so not much help to us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts