SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 months of being fed up with the awkward, vague and notchy stock shifter, I decided it was time for a change.

After researching the both GS Short Shift Kit and the TWM Short Shift Kit I decided I would take the plunge for the TWM, considering it reduced both height and throw, noticably more than the GS.

I opted for the aluminum bushings as well, because at $20 i figured it couldn't hurt.

The package was here 3 short days later. Let's get started by removing the old shifter. the instructions say to start by removing the knob.

My knob had no torx screw holding it on, and even following the suggestion of using two screw drivers for leverage, I found it impossible to remove the knob from the shifter.

So, I skipped a couple of steps and removed the entire shift assembly

I had to keep the leather shift boot and black plastic frame/housing intact....but the knob and reverse lock mechanism were in the way...so I proceeded to smash them to bits with a hammer. The shift boot came free and the frame slid right out.

Now to refit the new shifter in the gearbox. This is the only tricky part but the instruction manual is perfectly clear on it.

New aluminum reverse lock mechanism, shift boot, and gear surround reinstalled.

The provided aluminum knob screws right on.

To give you an idea of the throw..

Neutral........................................................1st

4th(supposed to have been 2nd, oops).............3rd

I only had time for this portion on this night, and so I took it for a test drive, and with the first shift, the improvement was immediately noticeable.

The throw had been significantly reduced and I knew from trying it out while the car was parked, but the effect is dramatized and can only be truly appreciated while you're actually driving the car. I was disappointed however, because some of the notchiness and vagueness of the stock shift feel remained, but they had been somewhat reduced.

·
Registered
250 Posts
making the stock knob fit would be a pain.
the TWM shifter is for threaded knobs or knobs with set screws
the stock knob is a press fit. it would take a lot of glue or locktite to make it stay on.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
good write up, i almost bought the TWM during their black friday sale...its still on my to do list though

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Santa has mine in his sleigh...can't wait. I opted for a "fancy" knob from TVM - will post some pics. I also opted for all the "trimmings" even the grease. Sucker i am...
By "fancy" knob, do you mean the weighted ones?

If so, do you have it installed, and how is the feel?

I received a regular aluminum non-weighted one, and have been considering switching over to weighted if it is an easily noticeable difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Better Late than Never....

So here I am a few weeks since installing/posting about the short shifter and I realize I forgot to comment on the aluminum bushings upgrade, so here goes:

To get straight to the point, the bushings were the missing factor that took this from "worth it" to "wow!" After installing the metal bushings each shift is even more smooth, solid, and precise.

Here they are side by side. (Old Rubber one, left. New aluminum one on right)

Installing them was simple enough, just somewhat of a pain to reach certain bolts.

*Note: The bushings are wedged under the shifter base, and are most easily removed by using a screwdriver for leverage from the top while simultaneously pulling from the bottom.

Both side panels need to be removed to access the 4 bolts holding the shifter base in place. 3 of them are easily accessible with a socket wrench and patience.

The 4th, which is the one on the rear right hand side (passenger seat, closest to arm rest)

can be reached with an extension on the socket wrench as pictured.

The whole install took about 30 mins.

Bottom line is, for the $20 that this cost, I would recommend it to everyone, even without the short shifter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the install pics. Were you able to see how much of a difference the bushings made for the stock shifter? I'm just worried I won't see much of a difference unless I combine the bushings with the short shifter.

I guess I can live with the longish throws as long as it didn't feel like something had to snap before a gear gets engaged :( I don't have a problem with taking things apart. I just don't want to saw off parts of a car less than one month old to install the short shifter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for the install pics. Were you able to see how much of a difference the bushings made for the stock shifter? I'm just worried I won't see much of a difference unless I combine the bushings with the short shifter.

I guess I can live with the longish throws as long as it didn't feel like something had to snap before a gear gets engaged :( I don't have a problem with taking things apart. I just don't want to saw off parts of a car less than one month old to install the short shifter.
i too am interested in knowing how much of a difference the new bushings made, because i just installed a GS short shifter yesterday and am thinking that the bushings may be a nice addition.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Night and Day

I did not try the bushings with the stock shifter, but I can say this: The difference in the "throw length" and "throw feel" are easily distinguishable.

After installing only the short shifter, the throws were shorter, but still somewhat vague/loose/unprecise.

After adding the bushings, the throws were short but significantly more tight and precise.

Also, with TWM there is no cutting like the GS option. It's a bolt on addition even with the short shifter.

Glad to see many people enjoying the TWM option :)
yea, thanks to a certain someone...;ol;

I can confidently say that I made the right choice by making this my first mod. Your shifter is the essence of how you communicate with your car, it should speak and listen to you clearly like the TWM, not stutter or stammer like the stock.(at least this is how i felt about my stock shifter.)

You can find more info here for 5-spd:

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/saabshortshifters/saab-93-5-speed-short-shifter.htm

or here for 6-spd:

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/saabshortshifters/saab-93-6-speed-short-shifter.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts