SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add spring spacers on the rear of my saggy wagon. Is there a tutorial out there or has anyone posted a step by step, pererably with photos?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thought I had more on-hand. Hope this is a good start.

The tower bolts are 16mm. The lower is 24mm IIRC. You'll need a strut set for the shock top. Think it is a 6mm Allen and 17mm nut (been a while).

Best to trial and error the spacer height. I turned all mine in a lathe to get the spacer thickness dialed in and I went ~ 10mm over in ride height to account for future sag. The ratio of lift at the spring to lift at the wheel is slightly more than 1:1 spacer : ride height.

If the cartridges are original or have seen winters, get ready for a fight. The nut is inconveniently recessed by the top retaining washer. No torch and no cutting disk. Use anti seize liberally upon reassembling.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
A set of offset wrenches like these is priceless for the rear shocks because of the previously mentioned recessed top nut:

They definitely get rusty, though. I had to take one of mine to a local shop to get the nut off. Even with their huge impact driver, it was a struggle.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I should be doing mine this coming weekend. I will try to enlist one of my offspring to help with photo documentation.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i can send you a Word file.PM me your email address. You can use the WIS information on disassembly and puting them on.

the spring spacers sit on the shock spring perch. They are machined specifically to fit each brand of shock. The small stamped "OEM washer" fit on top of the spacer and the spring sits on that washer.

Spacers are made in Sach/SAAB Oem, Koni, and Bilstein. Heights are 25mm, 29mm, 32mm, and 38mm.

Measuring ride height is in the WIS, and the word file I can send.

·
Registered
412 Posts
measuring ride height was the most mysterious aspect of this for me. Attached are photos.

rather than do the roll forward/backward and average 5 measurements, I took several measurements over the course of several days. They were all with1-2mm of each other so I averaged those.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
Cleeland, your rear suspension is pretty good. It looks like you're measuring about 605mm, which is either 5mm or 15mm low, depending on whether or not you have the sport suspension. My wagon had the tops of the tires practically tucked into the fenders when I bought the car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cleeland, your rear suspension is pretty good. It looks like you're measuring about 605mm, which is either 5mm or 15mm low, depending on whether or not you have the sport suspension. My wagon had the tops of the tires practically tucked into the fenders when I bought the car.
I have non-sport suspension. This is after replacing the large bushing on the front of the trailing/longitudinal arm and replacing all four "rose" bushes (the outer bushes where the control arms connect to the trailing arm), and getting an alignment, which set the camber at -1.1, which is just inside spec.

620 is spec for 17" wheels. I figured since I was doing shocks I would get the ride height dialed.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Redaero for sending instructions on how to add spring spacers and thank you Cleveland for posting pictures on how to measure. That makes it sooo clear on how to do the measure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts