SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about 2 minutes from home when my fans/power steering die.. I get a triangle ! light and the battery light... So I think, "crap, my battery is dieing".

Then I pull it into a parking lot and the car turns over.. and over and over... but it never starts... :evil: Since it able to turn over, the battery isn't dead and therefore the alternator is probably OK, right? So I'm thinking it isn't getting fuel... FPR or fuel pump?

I'm moving to maryland (from florida) in two weeks and the car needs to be drivable, so I was planning on having the local Saab mech do a thorough inspection anyway... Is a fuel pump/FPR change (if that's it) something I should have him do, or something I can do myself? I'm an ok DIYer, but if it will take half a day or more I will not have the time w/ packing, wraping things up with work... etc.

What do you suggest?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok here's where I'm really puzzled.. When the car was dieing the power steering went out, but I'm not sure that the car itself died... I had the radio on so I'm honestly not sure if the engine stopped... I have a hunch that it actually didn't stop, but I'm not sure why the PS would die if th engine were still turning (and the serp belt is fine...).

Maybe I just don't remeber exactly what happened... but maybe this provides more helpful information.. and maybe not. Either way I appreciate any advice you have...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Fuel pump: They seem to fail with no warning on some cars. Mine went out while going about 65 in the center lane with no warning. If the fuel pump is going, you should be able to hear it if you flip the back seat up and listen with your ear above the inspection cover while cranking the car. You can also hot wire it at the fuse box to test. Not easy to replace, you have to drop the gas tank, along with a bunch of connections and sensor wires. The fuel pump relay can also fail. Some people claim you can bang on the gas tank to get it going sometimes (did not work for me)

Crankshaft position sensor: That tells the ECU the engine is turning. The ECU will not send any fuel if there is no signal from it. Can be easy or hard, depending on whether you can get it loose. Never tried it.

FPR would be least likely.

I would jump the car, just in case. You never know what mode electrical systems will fail in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on the money PMI... Crankshaft position sensor looks to be the culpret... Since I'm moving on July 8, I decided not to screw around and just sent it to the mechanic for a full inspection. He should have it back by tomorrow, unless it's NOT the crank sensor. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts