SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pull the motor from this 2003 93 B 205. The motor started ticking pretty badly soon as I'd figured out all the other problems with the car. I'm not sure if it's lifters or if it's valves but I have read that there's no adjustment on valve lash. I only paid $1,000 for the car so I'm not really worried about the money. I decided a long time ago that I wanted to rebuild an engine from scratch for my other 2001 9 3 . I have yet to ever build an engine from scratch. I've done it in school but the engine didn't actually have to run. It was just a matter of stripping it down putting it all back together. It was far from what I would call a real build. I know I've got a lot of research to do on my own but my question was am I right in thinking that I'm going 2 need a crankshaft from a 2.3 l and the Piston rods to match. But my question is other than that is there more that has to be considered. I had talked to someone that I had met up at the Euro Parts in Windsor he had a Saab 9-3 hatchback like a 2000 and he had done that build and turned it into a 2.3 . I remember he had one problem that required him to rip the motor down after the build. I think it had something to do with the crank shaft being in wrong. I figure if I'm going to build it from scratch and I definitely want to do that why not make it a 235. Thanks appreciate any help end any resources you guys might be able to point me to.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
The crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods are all you really need, plus an ECU tune so your car still runs right. Personally, I'd see about getting an entire block or engine from a 9-5. That's likely to be cheaper than trying to source the individual parts. If you're looking for serious performance, you might think about forged pistons, since that's the weak spot of the B235, but if you just want a little more oomph, the stock internals are fine.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
I'm with Jeremy on this... the stuff you need basically means you need a 235 block. It might be worth considering a 234 with 205 head. That way you get the stronger pistons, the displacement, and the t7 advantages all in one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The exhaust cam on the b235 is a different part number. Probably doesn’t make much of a difference though. I did this conversion last winter and is still running great!

Occasional timing chain noise on cold mornings

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
The exhaust cam is different only on later years. For the first few years, the 2.0 liter and the 2.3 liter used the same camshafts for intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The exhaust cam is different only on later years. For the first few years, the 2.0 liter and the 2.3 liter used the same camshafts for intake and exhaust.
Good to know. When I went over things in the EPC. I noticed that part difference and was surprised that I never saw it come up in threads.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have access to plenty of engines at my local junkyard there's no question that I could get a 235 out of a 9-5 really cheap probably for about a hundred bucks. So if that's the way to go I'll definitely do that. So any 2.3 l Turbo motor regardless of year out of a 9-5 will work. I was kind of planning on buying a lot of the parts brand new just cuz I kind of figured if I'm going to go through all the trouble of building this engine I want it to be basically new when it's done. I think new Pistons are a must. My question on the Block is once I have it stripped down I need to do what with it. have it Tanked and do I have to have the Piston sleeves refinished or honed. The only engines I've rebuilt from scratch we're CR 250 Honda engines and some of them you need to hone and some of them would have sleeves that could not be honed. I also helped my father build some 60s Corvettes but that was 30 years ago and I was 10 years old. The main thing is I want to be sure that the block is good before I build it obviously and I know that there's a way to go about doing that I just don't know exactly what it is what tests have to be done any help with that would be appreciated thank you guys really appreciate the info. I'm not building a race car but I definitely want this engine to be able to stand up to whatever I want to do to it in the future. And I would like to see it throwing at least 400 horsepower when I'm done with it. I've got a tech 2 as far as the programing goes when it's all done.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
If you're aiming for 400+ horsepower, then you'd either want the block, pistons, and crankshaft out of a 9000 (B234), or put forged pistons in a 9-5 block. Used pistons out of a 9000 should be fine if you use a B234. They're very sturdy. If you use a 9-5 block, have it tanked, honed, and replace the balance shaft bearings, or delete the balance shafts. In 2004, Saab fixed the PCV issue that sludged up so many of the earlier engines. Part of that fix involved putting a big hole in the back of the block for an oil catch can, so if you use a 2004 or later block, you'll need to adapt the newer PCV system to your car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm all for saving money but just out of curiosity what do you think it would cost for 4 forged pistons and if you were doing it would you reuse Pistons or buy new ones most of these blocks I'm going to be touch and have a hundred thousand plus miles

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the short explanation it's only the exhaust manifold pulling away from the motor causing this noise. I've got to drill out a broken stud see if I can get the manifold off cleaned up and back on. I'm glad cuz it's a beautiful car. I caught a break.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I actually have a set of used B234 pistons and a crankshaft that I'm going to install in my '97 900 some day, so used is the route I'm going. If I didn't have two little kids in daycare, I might spring for forged pistons. Taliaferro Saab, which is one of the big tuners for these cars, has B235 pistons starting at $548.00 for the set.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I actually have a set of used B234 pistons and a crankshaft that I'm going to install in my '97 900 some day, so used is the route I'm going. If I didn't have two little kids in daycare, I might spring for forged pistons. Taliaferro Saab, which is one of the big tuners for these cars, has B235 pistons starting at $548.00 for the set.

I'm out of date with building tough engines, we used to use forged pistons but they were more race oriented and not so good on the street because of heat variations and clearances.
They had just produced hypereutectic pistons as a sort of a half way for warmed up street engines that weren't raced often.
I see a lot of talk about using forged pistons now, have things changed much?

Also, a few posts ago you mentioned using crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods from a 2.3 in a 2.0 block; does this effect the compression ratio at all? Dished pistons?

·
Registered
549 Posts
My question on the Block is once I have it stripped down I need to do what with it. have it Tanked and do I have to have the Piston sleeves refinished or honed.
The piston bores are honed so that they hold oil for the new rings and allow the new rings to bed in to the bore.
The bore is measured for cylindricalness. Yes, that's a word.....now.
The bore should be circular and the piston should run straight up and down on a perpendicular line.

Check the piston skirts and piston bores for scuffing and polishing that show the piston hasn't been running true.
If you want to save a block like that you can bore it straight and get oversized pistons and rings.

Good find with the exhaust manifold. On the easy side of the engine too.
Do a compression and leakdown test to see where you are with that engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Tech2 won’t help much with tuning but get onto the Trionictuning forum there is a bunch of knowledge and help to tune T7 ECUs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts