SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last night I drove my Saab my left turn signal was blinking very slowly, would stop, and then blink slowly again. When I got home I kept the car running, turned the left blinker on and got out of the car to check the signal lights.

The left turn signal light was blinking but so were the tail lights.

When I turned on the right turn signal it was slow as well in blinking but in checking it's lighting in the rear, it blinked without the tail lights blinking.

I've had this car for 19 years and this is a new one on me.... Any ideas??

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central

We need pictures.

AN original owner:eek:

Likely one of two things:

New ground wire required for rear lamps. I have had the exact same issue. (common on 4dr/2dr/conv)

or

Turn Signal Relay (up in dash) is bad.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
JoCoMo said:
The last night I drove my Saab my left turn signal was blinking very slowly, would stop, and then blink slowly again. When I got home I kept the car running, turned the left blinker on and got out of the car to check the signal lights.

The left turn signal light was blinking but so were the tail lights.

When I turned on the right turn signal it was slow as well in blinking but in checking it's lighting in the rear, it blinked without the tail lights blinking.

I've had this car for 19 years and this is a new one on me.... Any ideas??
If the car is a 2- or 4-door sedan or convertible, it sounds like the car has developed bad ground/earth connections to the tail light clusters. Have a look at my c900 2sn/4sn/cv rear earth repair/rebuild page and see if that sounds like the problem you're experiencing.

If it is and you'd like some more help, feel free to ask!

It's a very common problem on the non-hatchback c900's due to the ground connections via the contacts on the plug-in harness connectors to the rear light cluster boards carrying a lot of current and over time the contacts heat up, steadily become more and more open-circuit, and the localised heating melts the plastic and often the ground contacts will arc as the car goes over bumps, etc. which will cause localised burning of the metal surfaces, and with the plastic melting the contacts go slightly out of alignment.

Craig.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies... I need to add one more thing that makes the turn signals act up...

During the day when I use my turn signals while I am braking the turn signal stays on.....however, at night when I have my headlights on and I turn my turn signal on, the turn signal will go real slow and then stop altogether. When I release the brake the turn signal will correct itself...of course the left turn signal still makes the tail lights flash.

How do I find out if the problem is the turn signal relay or the wires?

Craig, I did go to the page you suggested and it looks very helpful. Tried to sign up but it kept rejecting my e-mail address. Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have another question while thinking about it....4 months ago I was driving behind my daughter who was driving my saab. I noticed the tail lights and brake lights weren't very bright and wondered if that is caused by the age of the light lenses or if I need to replace the bulbs. I have never replaced any of the tail light bulbs and I've had the car for 19 years.

Jo

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
grif900 said:
All of those symtoms point to a bad ground issue.
Definitely,
I had the same problem with the brakes/blinkers.
Re-did the ground on the tail lights... All fixed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts