SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone knows a fix for this or if it will require replacing the whole stalk.

The turn signals work fine, as does the cruise control...and the stalk holds its position during turns and releases fine.

The problem is that:

1) When flipping it to take a turn it's not very smooth...more like a distinct click into place.
2) When it is in the neutral/normal position there's a lot of play...I can move it freely a little...whereas with other cars I've owned the stalk stays pretty rigid and in place.

Anyone else have this issue? Any fix for it?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Let us know! To be honest, I've owned 3 9-5's (99,00, 01) and each and every had this loose turn stalk. I was worried on the first one, but it's being parted out in my driveway now after 90k miles of service for me over 4 years, and it never once 'broke' or failed to actually run the blinkers...

So, I'd honestly say, aside from the 'feel' of it being 'meh', I'm not sure I would worry about it doing the job it is designed for!

Cheers,
Benjamin

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I removed the stalk and stuck some 4mm furniture bumper stuff on it to reduce the play and has been working fine for many tears;ol;

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, I know exactly what you are dealing with as my 08 was the same way. Turn signal lever was just sloppy loose.

The reason is that on the stalk base there are two plastic tab pieces that hold it in place when it is installed. If those break, the thing sits loose and feels sloppy as yours is.

I just bought a whole new stalk, but after changing it out, I realized that a much more cost effective way would be to try to build some little buffers or tabs out of something to hold it in place. I would think with some creativity it could be done.

Once you remove the stalk, you'll see exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
My NG900 and my 9-5 both have broken tabs on their turn signal stalks. On both cars, I just stuck some dense foam in between the body of the stalk and the metal bracket that it snaps into. My 900's been that way for a decade now, and it still feels great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts