SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 900 turbo, Turn signals work fine they just don't tun off after a turn. Is this the whole assembly thats bad? What could it be?

·
Registered
444 Posts
It could be that you have a SAAB C900 :D

Try here for info on fixing it if it ends up you have to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had the same 'problem' on mine for a year - I was gonna fix it, but after a while I got used to it. In fact, I think I prefer it - saves those irritating occasions when you have to 'un-cancel' the stalk (i.e sort of force it past...), when there a turn, say, to the left, but before you get there you have to make a small turn to the right, (or vice versa), if you know what I mean...:roll:

Well, I know what I mean...:eek:

·
Banned
637 Posts
Prolly of little use if yers is already damaged.. But Lubing the thing annually seems to work.
I use Electronic spray lube, wire and plastic friendly.. has kept several switch units working 'as new' for many years, and counting.
Easy enough to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This happened to me suddenly one day. All that had happened was that the steering wheel had been pulled out. It was a non airbag. Just Push it back in and have the easiest fix ever, becides not doing anything. Hope it works.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
If the signals don't "catch" and remain on, simply disassemble the thing, and remove some plastic on the mechanism, and the stalk will move a little more in either direction, however now it will be good for another 200 000km before you have to do it again :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
ebay, ebay, ebay

I just had the same problem and here in Virginia an non-canceling signal is grounds for State Inspection rejection. Priced the part new at my garage and after picking myself up off the floor ($120, not including labor). I took the rejection sticker and searched ebay. $11, plus $5-shipping, later I had the part.

To install: remove the long, long screws that go up vertically from the bottom of the dash. 3 of them from the left side to just by the ashtray. Then remove 2 small screws from the top left and right sides of the steering column, just behind the wheel. Now yank the dash towards you, the whole thing will come out only about 2-3 inches using this method. Also, the inside area of the dash, the part with the vents and switches, inside the big dash frame will pull out another few inches. Any more than that and you will be dislodging too much behind there. The turn signal removes from the column by loosening 2 screws. Every fastener in this whole operation is the same Torx size; one small Craftsman Torx driver and I was set. Now you have 2 choices, work your hand further up inside the dash and find the wiring harness, unplug, and then plug in the new; or, do what I did and splice the wires. Screw in the new signal to the column and return everything to where you found it. I took small squares of tape and put them over the screw holes on the new signal, then pushed the screws through them. That kept the screws from dropping out as I was trying to manuver. Ok, I dropped the screws many cursing times before I thought up that trick. Also, I guess you could do all of what I did just to take a look at the signal you currently have. It does help that I have teeny little girl hands :D but this worked for me and I hope it helps you -Cheers

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
You don't have to remove the dashboard insert. Just remove the two screws and plastic tab that hold the lower steering column cover in place, and you can unbolt both stalks from the column.

They're attached to a U-shaped bracket, with two screws in the underside. Drop the complete bracket, and then you can unbolt each stalk.

It's a five-minute job (if that).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Matthew I did think you had to remove the dash panel for replacement. $120.00 dealers are a rip off. Thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts