SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me to the source of the turn indicator, reverse proximity sensor and seatbelt chimes? They have been a little crackly like a loose connection and now have stopped completely. Radio still works but is noticeably like a 1970's speaker with very little depth.

·
Registered
973 Posts
And if your audio is rubbish, probably the speaker cones disintegrating around the edges. How old is the car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
SID speaker is a separate speaker from the radio. They aren’t used together. On 06 and up it is attached to the back of the instrument cluster. If your SID is above the radio then the speaker is on top of the SID box and it’s a bit easier to remove.

Here is the speaker in question.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am kind of assuming get the instrument cluster is roughly the same on an 07 as the older 9-5's? I found a youtube on how to do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Roughly the same yeah. Everything is T25 for the most part.

How I do it

Radio first. 4 screws and pull out. Undo the antenna and two black connectors

Push out the air con from behind. Two connectors. There is a few screws around the perimeter of radio. One in top right corner at an angle that’s hard to see. Three around the air con box I believe once removed.

Push out hazard switch and unplug.

Open panel to fuse on drivers side and push out headlight switch and unplug. Two or three screws hiding there. Push out the night panel and tcs and fog lamp switches from behind and unplug. They are color coded to the connector so you can easily find where they go.

Turn steering wheel to left 90 degrees, screw is hidden behind it. Turn right the opposite way and find another screw. Screw on bottom of plastic cover. GENTLY push on the top cover from the sides to release the tabs (they will probably break slightly). Then remove upper and lower cover. Remove the 4 screws holding on the leather gator surrounding the steering column.

Remove turn signal and wiper switch. No need to unplug. Let them hang. Once all the screws are removed you can pry towards you on the dash bezel. It clips in at the top. Might take a little bit of force but it will pop out. Pull towards you and use some gymnastics getting it away from steering wheel.

Instrument cluster has 4 screws. It pulls out easy after that. SIU box is clipped into cluster.
(You can’t swap boxes unless you have a tech 2 to marry it)

The SIU comes apart easy. You can desolder the old speaker and solder in a new one. Should take you about 30 min or a few more total job. No bother looking for the exact speaker. It’s some Chinese unit. I used the exact speaker from the 2005 and older ones you find on eBay.

It’ll look like that when it’s done

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roughly the same yeah. Everything is T25 for the most part.

How I do it

Radio first. 4 screws and pull out. Undo the antenna and two black connectors

Push out the air con from behind. Two connectors. There is a few screws around the perimeter of radio. One in top right corner at an angle that’s hard to see. Three around the air con box I believe once removed.

Push out hazard switch and unplug.

Open panel to fuse on drivers side and push out headlight switch and unplug. Two or three screws hiding there. Push out the night panel and tcs and fog lamp switches from behind and unplug. They are color coded to the connector so you can easily find where they go.

Turn steering wheel to left 90 degrees, screw is hidden behind it. Turn right the opposite way and find another screw. Screw on bottom of plastic cover. GENTLY push on the top cover from the sides to release the tabs (they will probably break slightly). Then remove upper and lower cover. Remove the 4 screws holding on the leather gator surrounding the steering column.

Remove turn signal and wiper switch. No need to unplug. Let them hang. Once all the screws are removed you can pry towards you on the dash bezel. It clips in at the top. Might take a little bit of force but it will pop out. Pull towards you and use some gymnastics getting it away from steering wheel.

Instrument cluster has 4 screws. It pulls out easy after that. SIU box is clipped into cluster.
(You can’t swap boxes unless you have a tech 2 to marry it)

The SIU comes apart easy. You can desolder the old speaker and solder in a new one. Should take you about 30 min or a few more total job. No bother looking for the exact speaker. It’s some Chinese unit. I used the exact speaker from the 2005 and older ones you find on eBay.

It’ll look like that when it’s done
Thank you so much. VERY helpful and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I look forward to the answer to the poor audio quality. 2007 is a little young for the speakers to be crumbling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I look forward to the answer to the poor audio quality. 2007 is a little young for the speakers to be crumbling.
My guess is amp is failing. But we will need some more input from OP about it after he puts the radio back in. Maybe it will clear it up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured out the audio issue. We have been driving my wife's loaded 2019 BMW 4 series that has a kicking stereo and since we have been driving it more and more when we get into the 2007 Saab with it's GM issued stereo there is just no comparison. I don't think it is going bad anymore but rather suffering from being compared to a really good system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts