SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left turn signal will not stop when the turn switch is off. When i move it to the right turn position it shuts off.

I took it to a mechanic and they said I need to replace the combination switch, $700 part.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether that is the correct fix for this problem?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
What part did he actually say needs changing? Whatever it is, $700 for the part is crazy. Unless it's some type of control unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he said it was the combination switch..? he also mentioned that it was the same as the control module, turn switch electronic module...

He gave me a part number 12842078 which I cannot find anywhere

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Damn. I would check with him to make sure that is the part, tell him you'll purchase the part and just need the labor. Or give me the link to the part. No need to pay $665 when saabsite is $377.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a warranty job, $100 deducatable, but my warranty company will only pay $562 for the part, now that you helped me find the part for less than 562 I will just have him buy it from the saabsite and everyone is happy.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Lucky for you that original part has been superseded by a new one which is almost $300 dollars cheaper. I had my CIM part#12842078 changed back in January covered under warranty price on my invoice $796.

Genuine Saab has the old part# in the parts look up and references the new part#. By the way what warranty company are you using? I've got 5 days left on my 4/50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MOGI , but the parent company is Enterprise Financial​
Group, Inc. (EFG) P.O. Box 167667, Irving, TX 75016, (800) 527-1984
50,000 mile warrany $2700

OUR OBLIGATIONS​
If a Covered Mechanical Breakdown of Your Vehicle occurs during the term of this Contract, We will:
• Pay You or the repairer, for repair or replacement of the Covered Part(s) and associated labor
as required for the completion of the repair or replacement of those parts, which cause the
Mechanical Breakdown. Labor will be verifi ed by the standard versions of the following nationally
recognized labor guides: Motors, Mitchell, & All Data. Replacement parts may be of like kind and
quality. This may include the use of new, remanufactured or used parts as determined by Us.
• Reimburse You for a rental car at the rate of up to $30.00 per day and a maximum of $150.00 (5
days) per Mechanical Breakdown. To receive rental benefi ts You must supply Us with Your receipt
from a licensed rental agency. No deductible will apply to this benefi t.
• Reimburse You for lodging and meal expenses actually incurred by You if the covered repairs are
completed more than 100 miles from Your primary residence and You are stranded overnight. The
limit on this reimbursement is seventy-fi ve dollars ($75.00) per day for up to three (3) days and
a maximum of two hundred twenty-fi ve dollars ($225.00) per Breakdown.​
YOUR OBLIGATIONS​
•​
In order for this Contract to remain in force, the minimum requirement on oil and fi lter
changes is every six (6) months or fi ve thousand (5,000) miles, whichever comes fi rst.
All other maintenance schedules must be done in accordance with Your Vehicle’s
manufacturer ’s recommendations. You must keep and make available verifi able service/
purchase receipts which show that this maintenance has been performed within the time
and mileage limits required.

•​
You or Your repair facility are required to obtain Our authorization prior to beginning any

repair covered by this Contract.

COVERED PARTS​
Repairs on​
all assemblies and parts are covered on Your Vehicle with the exception of the following
list of
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:

Paint, carpet, bright metal, trim, sheet metal, bumpers, body panels, glass, physical damage,
molding, upholstery, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones,
television/VCR/DVD players, game centers, AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players and speakers
exceeding three hundred dollar ($300) repair or replacement costs, audio/video equipment, all
touch screen and/or voice activated accessories including related display screens and heads
up displays on windshields, electronic transmitting/receiving devices, navigation systems,
voice recognition systems, remote control consoles, radar detection devices, weather-strips,
all exhaust components, the following emission components: purge valve/solenoids/sensors,
vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves,
emission vapor sensors, gas cap/fi ller neck, catalytic converter, battery, battery cables/
harness, spark plug wires, fan belts, non metallic hoses, distributor cap and rotor, shock
absorbers, manual/hydraulic clutch assembly, friction clutch disc and pressure plate, weather
strips, trim, outside ornamentation, frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops,
canvas top, any convertible top assemblies, fabric top, fi berglass top, hardware or linkages,
tires, wheel/rims, wheel balances, safety restraint systems (including air bags), air and water
leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, all maintenance services including alignments, brake pads​
and shoes, brake rotors and drums, tune ups, coolants, lubricants.

·
Registered
664 Posts
So what exactly is covered if none of those are covered? To me it looks like everything described in the "NOT COVERED" part...is the entire car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what exactly is covered if none of those are covered? To me it looks like everything described in the "NOT COVERED" part...is the entire car.
actually there is quite a lot that is covered, almost everything under the hood, the tranny, a/c, cruise control, all electrical locks windows steering column, my current issue. its a good package, im hoping to get my return on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had this same problem a few months ago and it was the most frustrating problem. I ended buying what I thought was the switch (turned out to be the turn signal stalk...).

Anyway, I removed the steering wheel and then the "steering wheel shaft control module" (that's actually what it's called, see the images on this thread). Upon removing the SWSCM and carefully taking it apart, I discovered the actual mechanism that turns on and off the turn signals. I decided to clean the contacts on it and upon re-installation found out that it worked!

The biggest thing to keep in mind is to be very careful when you take apart the infamous SWSCM; the turn signal mechanism will literally fall out when you take the circuit board.

I wish I had some pictures to show you, but I was lazy :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had this same problem a few months ago and it was the most frustrating problem. I ended buying what I thought was the switch (turned out to be the turn signal stalk...).

Anyway, I removed the steering wheel and then the "steering wheel shaft control module" (that's actually what it's called, see the images on this thread). Upon removing the SWSCM and carefully taking it apart, I discovered the actual mechanism that turns on and off the turn signals. I decided to clean the contacts on it and upon re-installation found out that it worked!

The biggest thing to keep in mind is to be very careful when you take apart the infamous SWSCM; the turn signal mechanism will literally fall out when you take the circuit board.

I wish I had some pictures to show you, but I was lazy :/
Hey thanks for your insight, now I know I am on the right path.

Thanks again

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sounds like the turn switch in the CIM is broken. Me and others have changed out this part, or the wiper switch which can break in a similar way. Post # 182131 shows how to do it. (Thanx to anzollo)

But it looks like your warranty will cover a new one. I will buy your old CIM with a fob/s for $100.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
the cim will need to be married to the car with tech2 it's not just a plug and play so dealer or saab indy with tech2,also you won't need new fobs as the old ones can be programmed to the new cim..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the cim will need to be married to the car with tech2 it's not just a plug and play so dealer or saab indy with tech2,also you won't need new fobs as the old ones can be programmed to the new cim..
Wht do you mean by "or saab indy with tech2" Also what is tech2?

Thanks this is really good info.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Wht do you mean by "or saab indy with tech2" Also what is tech2?

Thanks this is really good info.
Indy=independent shop

TECHII= handheld unit and software that alter parts of the car computer. Most be used to "divorce" and "marry" radios and some other control units to the car. Basically they can't be swapped car-to-car plug and play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Indy=independent shop

TECHII= handheld unit and software that alter parts of the car computer. Most be used to "divorce" and "marry" radios and some other control units to the car. Basically they can't be swapped car-to-car plug and play.

You guys rock thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts