SaabCentral Forums banner

Turn signal clicker and system sounds Saab 9-3 (1999 convertible)

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  joolstacho 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am New here and I hope my question is in the right place.
My turn signal clicker not working. Do you know where is the clicker located ? And the other problem is that the system sounds not working too - when is open door, soft top moving, seat belt..
Can you help me, what I have to fix?

#3 ·
Hello everyone. I am New here and I hope my question is in the right place.
My turn signal clicker not working. Do you know where is the clicker located ? And the other problem is that the system sounds not working too - when is open door, soft top moving, seat belt..
Can you help me, what I have to fix?
Yann it sounds like the speaker in the sid has failed . It is attached (soldered) to the PCB within the SID unit .

A cheap fix that I have used in the past it to connect a small speaker ( eg as found in older computers ) .
Done by soldering two fly leads to the pins of the original speaker . I have then double sided tape that speaker to the outside of the SID unit .
If you want a more professional ( original ) fix , then you can buy replacement speakers from SAAB SID AC unit LCD pixel failure unit repairs DIY - new ribbon cable.

They also offer a repair service if you are not confortable working with delicate soldering on a PCB .

#4 ·
Yann it sounds like the speaker in the sid has failed . It is attached (soldered) to the PCB within the SID unit .

A cheap fix that I have used in the past it to connect a small speaker ( eg as found in older computers ) .
Done by soldering two fly leads to the pins of the original speaker . I have then double sided tape that speaker to the outside of the SID unit .
If you want a more professional ( original ) fix , then you can buy replacement speakers from SAAB SID AC unit LCD pixel failure unit repairs DIY - new ribbon cable.

They also offer a repair service if you are not confortable working with delicate soldering on a PCB .
Thank you for information! I Will try to replace it with new one.

#7 ·
If you can solder, as mentioned above, you can use a variety of aftermarket speakers. Saab replacement ones don't come cheap. You could try Farnell and solder something in. I've tried a few and most work if the specs are the same. I've used multicomp branded ones. They're a little bigger and you'll have to mod the speaker legs or make your own to fit it and the clearance is tight in the case. If you got down this route, when you snip the legs off the old one, leave the metal speaker perch attached to the board. Your new speaker can be magnetised to it as support, and the +&- legs make a 3 points of support.
I've also used one out of one of those cheap crappy V7 radar detectors. For the price of $10 off eBay Inc shipping they're cost effective as an alternative, and work well if you gut the internals and then carefully extract/remove it. The speaker is about all they are good for.
Be aware, the volume of various speakers vary. You may find one is louder or quieter than the original.
Original Saab speakers can also be obtained via eBay or a Chinese company called "Sacer".
You can attempt to transplant one from another SID as well. It's tricky to do this, but it's doable. I'd recommend not going down this path though, as it's not cost effective and the speaker is likely 20 years old anyway. Go new.
There's options out there if you're handy with the soldering iron.

#12 ·
but seriously, there can be many things besides the SID speaker, under the dash (you need to take most of the dash apart) to get at it but the little reservoir after nearly 20 years may be empty, you can get a refill at most autopart stores

Reactions: Finish
#19 ·
I'm surprised you don't just buy another SAAB for eight dollars and transfer the blinker fluid from that to the car that needs it.
IN THE CATOGORY OF YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP this came to me in via text today, and all this time I've been offering 8 bucks, go figure.

"Hi Dave, I got your name from a friend of a friend who said your into saabs,I have had a change of plans,
as my son in law and daughter decided to not move here. Was going to have the 9-3 be a project for us.
Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be interested in it?

Hi Dave, thanks for thinking of me, unfortunately I've been downsizing my fleet myself.
To many to maintain and to many other things to work on. You could try listing it on saabcentral to see
if an enthusiast would be a taker.

Thanks, I'm not looking to profit( free to you!) If you want? I don't really like the hassle of listing
! "

Kinda on the fence with this one,

#26 ·
Yann , WHat other sounds are you expecting ? It will give the blinker click , and also beep for certain faults or steps in a convertible roof operation, eg Finished closing . If you have the blinker sounding , I suspect the job is good !
You may have warning chirps turned off ( I think that is available as an option in tech 2 ) or you may have no faults the sid whishes to bring to your attention . Well done on fitting a new speaker , I have found then finicky !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.