SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B234i N/A engine in my 1998 900S. I want to put a turbo in it, but I want to do it right (e.g. changing pistons, cams, etc. if I have to), and I would really like to know what all I'm looking at replacing, the best place to get these parts, and how much I should be prepared to spend.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have a B234i N/A engine in my 1998 900S. I want to put a turbo in it, but I want to do it right (e.g. changing pistons, cams, etc. if I have to), and I would really like to know what all I'm looking at replacing, the best place to get these parts, and how much I should be prepared to spend.
The short Answer is it is easier and cheaper to buy a turbo model.

A few guys on here have done it.

Here is an old thread I found http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26428

There is others

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Easiest way is to find a Turbo model as a parts car and swap everything over. Not sure which pistons are in the 234i engine. That will be a limiting factor as well as the compression ratio as the NA cars have a slight bump in compression, as well if they're cheaper quality like Hypereutectic. Personally, I don't think it's *that* hard to do if you're good with a wrench and your NA car is in really nice condition. Technically, you can put a turbo on anything ;ol;

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
been there, done it. not worth it reliability wise
i have threads about the whole process (search my user name)
you find the performance cap very early on with that setup
bout 210whp, and 260wtq is what you will see

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
While I would agree that it is not worth it from a performance stand point because you top it out pretty quick without spending a fortune... I say if it interests you, go for it! If you are looking for more details grkguy89 and myself have both done this in the past few years so we have a few notes ;) PM me for details.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The only HP limiting factor he has is the reciprocating assembly in the b234i, right? If he finds a running b235r for a good price, why not swap engines?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I don't think the 234i has piston cooling jets. Pistons are domed rather than dished. Cams are different. Intake manifold is different. Wiring harness is different. You have a maf rather than a map. Then you would need intercooler and piping and all the goodies

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I don't think the 234i has piston cooling jets. Pistons are domed rather than dished. Cams are different. Intake manifold is different. Wiring harness is different. You have a maf rather than a map. Then you would need intercooler and piping and all the goodies
they do have cooling jets, and have flat top pistons like a turbo model.
cams are not drastically diff

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Mine are dished. NA should be flat to bump up compression ratios

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Just buy an SE and save yourself a whole lot of drama. Then throw a stage 3 at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts