SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I got the X5 springs yesterday and installed them last night. The car is still on jack stands for brake job and exhaust repair. I'll see if the stance is different (I forgot to mesure height before and after. damn!). Here is a pic of the X3 and X5 springs side by side. Quite similar, maybe 1/2 inch lower...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alignment Settings

A new owner of a 9-3 Aero V6 xwd (Canada) which I believe has the Turbo X suspension. Shocks are B8 Bilsteins with matching springs of un-known make. I just bought BFG Comp 2 all-season tires on 17" five spokes second hand and wanted to get the car aligned. I gave the specs for the Turbo X to the shop. Everything went well except the rear camber adjustment. Stock is -1.0 and we ended up with -1.8 and -2.5 (L/R) with toe aligned to spec (0.10). Camber could have been adjusted with the lower control arm bolts, but it would have thrown off the toe. We decided to set the toe and live with the camber.

The xwd system does not appear to use the same alignment shims as the front wheel drive cars, so there is not an independent camber alignment mechanism for the rear. The Tech suggested the problem may be upper control arms that have be bent resulting in them being shorter, hence increasing the camber. The bushings appear to be tight.

One suggestion was to buy new upper control arms and check the length against the existing ones. Another option would be to slot the upper arm bolt hole (towards the outside) and reinforce the opening by welding washers each side. We are not sure whether this can safely correct the alignment and is a semi-permanent modification that should not be necessary. A third option would be to install some type of eccentric bushing to increase the effective arm length. The last option is to design and fabricate some form of adjustable upper control arm that would allow adjustment of the arm length. This would allow camber adjustment without changing the toe. I have seen similar systems for other cars, but not the 9-3. Any one have some rear control arms they want to donate to the cause. Any suspension experts out there who can comment?

Peter

·
Registered
391 Posts
A new owner of a 9-3 Aero V6 xwd (Canada) which I believe has the Turbo X suspension. Shocks are B8 Bilsteins with matching springs of un-known make.
B8 + matched springs automatically makes it a non-Turbo X suspension.

Turbo X rear suspension uses much softer springs, paired with self-leveling Nivomat shocks which compensate for lower spring rates and any additional load. All other rear suspension components like links and control arms are the same on every XWD 9-3.

You can start with checking your ride height at rear, by measuring the distance between the center of the drive shaft and the top edge of the wing. It should be 374mm for Aero specs, and 364mm for Turbo X specs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rear Alignement

When you say "center of drive shaft to top edge of wing", is this the same as the centre of the wheel to the underside of the rear wheel opening? This would be much easier to measure accurately. I will measure the distance to establish ride height as compared to the Turbo X, but regardless, I believe I still have too much negative camber and will be looking for a solution to correct it.

Peter

·
Registered
100 Posts
2010 2.0T XWD Sedan, Changing Diff Need Control Module

Good evening. My Tech Diagnosed the Control Module on my non ELSD rear diff as having no communication with the Bus. I'll need the Module when I put the new diff in as a diff with the correct Module is no longer available. The part numbers associated with it are 12811305 and 12845059. I've sent the Module to BBA reman in hope of repair. Any insights where one might be available or other substitutes. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
B8 + matched springs automatically makes it a non-Turbo X suspension.

Turbo X rear suspension uses much softer springs, paired with self-leveling Nivomat shocks which compensate for lower spring rates and any additional load. All other rear suspension components like links and control arms are the same on every XWD 9-3.

You can start with checking your ride height at rear, by measuring the distance between the center of the drive shaft and the top edge of the wing. It should be 374mm for Aero specs, and 364mm for Turbo X specs.
I have a Turbo X and find the ride too firm for our rubbish NZ roads, I want to install a standard suspension - same as the 2009 Aero XWD v6 had - looking at the EPC is like greek there are so many combinations of shock and spring to choose from! Is there an aftermarket kit that's not 'sport' or 'firm' ? (wow - I sound like an old man....)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a Turbo X and find the ride too firm for our rubbish NZ roads, I want to install a standard suspension - same as the 2009 Aero XWD v6 had - looking at the EPC is like greek there are so many combinations of shock and spring to choose from! Is there an aftermarket kit that's not 'sport' or 'firm' ? (wow - I sound like an old man....)
Check out eSAABpart.com , if you can’t find what you need then email Matt and he will reply. He has complete stock suspension kits assembled and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi, tried B6’s on XWD X5 Suspension.
Photos show they don’t fit.
Anyone know if B4/5’s would work?
They self leveling shocks are $600. Seems crazy. We are just local drivers, with some trips to Boston.
So, want safe ride.
One of the self levelers sprung a leak, but car has 240k on it, so that’s not unexpected.

Thanks to anyone. Is the esaabparts kit the best alternative? Seems like a better solution than [email protected]$600?.
I was thinking that I could keep the stock springs? Just do shocks?
Is that not an option?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey fellas,

I have a 2008 93 Aero, XWD, V6 6 sp auto. It had the self leveling shocks, ELSD, big brakes and someone added Turbo X wheels. As far as I can tell it is spec'd as a Turbo X although I don't know about spring rates etc. That rare I'm guessing? Got it at an insurance auction (cheap). All it needed was a headlight and a hood.

I needed to replace the rear springs and shocks as many of us do. I bought Bilsteins as I have always used them and coilover springs as per the "how-to" on this site. Worked great. I was chatting with a machinist buddy that does automech work with his dad who had to change the springs in an XWD as the self leveling shocks died... he had a set of 2004 four door jetta rear springs handy and tired them. Claims they worked perfect. Just FYI.

Oh also just my opinion but I love how it handles in the winter, and in the summer. The XWD is awesome. I am having issues with it but I think it just needs a pump. Service XWD message comes up after ~25 minutes of driving...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, add Mark G in Edmonton as a Saab mechanic you can trust to know his stuff. He keeps 90% of the normal wear and tear/obscure parts in stock. He is the only person in Alberta I know of that is truly a Saab mechanic. I bought a ripoff Tech 2 so I don't need to go to him now but he certainly knows his stuff. Actually knew my car and the previous owner and had the service history in his records. Spot on!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, tried B6’s on XWD X5 Suspension.
Photos show they don’t fit.
Anyone know if B4/5’s would work?
They self leveling shocks are $600. Seems crazy. We are just local drivers, with some trips to Boston.
So, want safe ride.
One of the self levelers sprung a leak, but car has 240k on it, so that’s not unexpected.

Thanks to anyone. Is the esaabparts kit the best alternative? Seems like a better solution than [email protected]$600?.
I was thinking that I could keep the stock springs? Just do shocks?
Is that not an option?
Hi not sure if this is still useful as time has passed but if you’re like me I put up with a leaking nivomat for ages as they’re so flipping expensive. I have fully replaced my suspension with a front kit and a rear kit from Matt at esaabparts ([email protected]) he helped me pick and it’s just awesome now. The ride was always too hard in my opinion and now it’s more like a XWD 2009 aero, I enjoy it much more and handles really well still. It was much more cost effective in the end less than the price of a pair of nivomats and yes you can get away with replacing one but you just know the other will blow soon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I also bought the kit from esaabparts. $400. With a little help from Matt at esaabparts on how to install them, I got them on my car. Not a hard job, just needed a few pointers on something that wasn’t lining up because I had never done an install.
Car rides great now, no bouncing suspension and an annoying klunking noise disappeared.
Very satisfied customer in case any one else is thinking of doing this.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has anyone tried to fit 235 / 45 / R19 tyres in place of the 235 / 40 / R19 size? I bought some 2nd hand ones in error and thinking that it's only an extra 5 it'll be ok - I mean it's just 5 right (5% of 235 mm I believe...?) which is 13mm or half an inch extra. But I dunno, now I've got them they look pretty big. They fit in the wheel hole OK, I'm not worried about the back as much I'm more worried about full lock rubbing on the inner guard on the front. I also think that as I've fitted the replacement suspension that adds a bit if height there's extra space. But still nervous. Thoughts?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts