1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Nice, now I just need to find someone to lend me $45,000 (to cover sales tax, of course)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I understand the specs on this car are impressive, but the pricing is too expensive. When the new Evo comes out it will be around $35K. I look at all the other cars I can get for around $40K and it would be very hard to go for the Turbo X.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But even if so, potential Turbo X buyers (existing Saabers or new) would not be cross-shopping to the Evo, I highly doubt the two markets even overlap in any way.

Turbo X will be attracting those who otherwise may have gone with an A4 Quattro (start ~ US$40K), 335xi (start ~ US$40,800), S40 T5 AWD (US$30, 400), the intended key rivals of Turbo-X.

The Evo is more along the lines of the Legacy 2.5GT spec B (~ US$34K)

cjhutch said:
I understand the specs on this car are impressive, but the pricing is too expensive. When the new Evo comes out it will be around $35K. I look at all the other cars I can get for around $40K and it would be very hard to go for the Turbo X.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That's where our thoughts differ. This car will compete with the Evo and WRX. It's just too easy to the similarities. Turbocharged, AWD, small sedan, around the same power outputs. All the cars you noted are not touted on their performance and performance influence like the Turbo X is. I also don't think it helps that it only comes in one color. It's funny that you mention the Legacy because I'm looking to unload my 9-3SS and get a Legacy GT in the near future. Unless I can find a Laser Red 04 9-5 Aero.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The turbo-X will be snatched up by enthusiasts and not much else, the production numbers just can't support anything more.

The REAL bread-and-butter car will be the 9-3 aero XWD, and you can bet that it will be at least a couple grand cheaper than the special-edition turbo X. For ~40k it will be a tough car to beat as well.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
SaabKen said:
But even if so, potential Turbo X buyers (existing Saabers or new) would not be cross-shopping to the Evo, I highly doubt the two markets even overlap in any way.

Turbo X will be attracting those who otherwise may have gone with an A4 Quattro (start ~ US$40K), 335xi (start ~ US$40,800), S40 T5 AWD (US$30, 400), the intended key rivals of Turbo-X.

The Evo is more along the lines of the Legacy 2.5GT spec B (~ US$34K)
To chuck some UK price comparisons into that...

We know the TurboX is going to be £33k.
The new A4 3.2 Quattro is £30k
We don't get the 4wd 3-series at all. 2wd 335i is £32k
We don't get the 4wd S40 at all. 2wd 2.5T5 is £26k. Definitely a rung down from the 93, though - a fairer comparison would probably be the S60 T5R (2wd, again no 4wd) is £35k.

The Legacy would be very much a left-field choice here. £29k for a 3.0R SpecB

The Evo range goes between £28k (FQ-300) and £35k (FQ-360)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
AC, I totally agree with that statement. I know it will have 30 less hp, but place an order to BSR and that is solved easily. Plus you can have it in any color you want and I'm sure you can apply some incentives to help bring the price down even more. I wouldn't like to be the person that tries to haggle a deal on a Turbo X. :) The only advantage I see the Turbo X really having is that eLSD. Now that is nice and I don't think it's even an option for other 9-3's.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's where Henry Ford comes in: "You can have any color you want, as long as it is BLACK." :D

Turbo-X or Aero XWD ...... the right color is BLACK :D

cjhutch said:
I know it will have 30 less hp, but place an order to BSR and that is solved easily. Plus you can have it in any color you want ......

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
cjhutch said:
AC, I totally agree with that statement. I know it will have 30 less hp, but place an order to BSR and that is solved easily. Plus you can have it in any color you want and I'm sure you can apply some incentives to help bring the price down even more. I wouldn't like to be the person that tries to haggle a deal on a Turbo X. :) The only advantage I see the Turbo X really having is that eLSD. Now that is nice and I don't think it's even an option for other 9-3's.
I thought that all xwd cars with the 2.8 v6 will make 280, and that only the fwd aeros will make 255. Personally, I'd love to see the 260 hp ecotec paired with xwd, just because I'm an old-school I-4 purist.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct, all XWD Aeros will get the 280hp version, but if you opt for FWD Aero you get the 255hp version.

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/pr_070611.jsp

ACBarnett said:
I thought that all xwd cars with the 2.8 v6 will make 280, and that only the fwd aeros will make 255. Personally, I'd love to see the 260 hp ecotec paired with xwd, just because I'm an old-school I-4 purist.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I see the eLSD is also offered on the XWD models also. Man, I need to update my info. I was going off early info I read. In that case what does the Turbo X offer over the regular XWD models? Is it just the 345mm fronts, wheels, and rear exhaust facia?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
SaabKen said:
Correct, all XWD Aeros will get the 280hp version, but if you opt for FWD Aero you get the 255hp version.

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/pr_070611.jsp
Meaning you can wait a couple months and spend the dough you saved compared to the turbo-X on a set of BBS RX's or something to make the car look just as hot if not hotter than the turbo-x's.

That said I'll be waiting for either the turbo-X's or the Aero XWD's to come off lease in a year or two...

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the Turbo-X differentiation from the Aero XWD.

Amazing that even a year ago we wouldn't have dreamt of talking about 9-3 like this :D

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/about/pr_070911.jsp#headline

"Saab Black Turbo Reborn
  • Distinctive Jet Black color in homage to first Saab 900 Turbo
  • Functional sports bodystyling raises aerodynamic efficiency
  • 'Turbo heritage' boost gauge and personalized driver display
The Saab Turbo X visually communicates its focus on driving performance by extending the bold, progressive design themes of the new 9-3 range. Offered only in metallic jet black, with the front grille and all exterior detailing accented in a matte grey titanium-like finish, it represents a contemporary expression of its illustrious black 900 Turbo forebear.

Distinctive styling additions are designed to improve aerodynamic efficiency, as well as emphasize the Turbo X's performance focus. At the front, a deeper lip spoiler and integrated air intake contribute to reduced drag while also increasing air flow to the engine and intercooler.

At the rear, the re-profiled bumper and insert panel lowers the point of air flow separation, further reducing drag and assisting high speed stability. The Sport Sedan features a rear spoiler that extends the line of the trunk deck, reducing high speed lift forces at the rear axle. The standard SportCombi already has a similar spoiler that extends the rear roof line.

The Turbo X is further distinguished by unique, 18-inch alloy wheels with a grey titanium-like finish that evokes the look of Saab's classic three-spoke design. Twin, rhomboid-shaped tailpipes complete the exterior additions.

Inside, the 'black turbo' theme is continued throughout the cabin. The sports seating, with additional bolstering, is upholstered entirely in black leather. The sporty ambience is further emphasized by a carbon-fiber finish to the main fascia, door inserts, glove box and gear shift console which is unique to the Turbo X.

The driver benefits from improved 'feel' through the addition of a thick-rimmed, soft grip leather steering wheel. Seating comfort can be taken a step further with an optional premium, natural leather interior, which includes perforated bolsters for the front seat squabs and backs."

cjhutch said:
In that case what does the Turbo X offer over the regular XWD models? Is it just the 345mm fronts, wheels, and rear exhaust facia?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Wow, thanks for that info. Looks like there is no difference that would really make a performance difference.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'Tho I hear Saab may offer optional "go-fast" pinstriping for the Turbo-X that won't be available in the rest of the model lineup ;)

cjhutch said:
Wow, thanks for that info. Looks like there is no difference that would really make a performance difference.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only slightly. Using a 2% annual rate (compounded), that Viggen's price would be $43,644 in 2008.

Now, my 1993 9000CSE was selling for about Cdn$41,500 when new. Using the same formula, today it'd go for Cdn$55,854 give or take. Currently a similarly equipped 2008 9-5 SportCombi is MSRP'd by Saab Canada at $48,400. Now there's a great deal !

Wulf said:
A 2001 9-3 Viggen had an MSRP of $37,995 so $42,510 for a Turbo-X is a great price.

G

·
SaabKen said:
Only slightly. Using a 2% annual rate (compounded), that Viggen's price would be $43,644 in 2008.
True, but there is an extra 50hp, 2 more cylinders and XWD as well making it an even better value.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts