SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Hi davo defo coils had my tx a month had it tuned from the day I picked it up it didn't like it took tune off still hesitating so after new plugs and coils alls fine now got my coils from cesuk Wrexham £45 plus vat easy to do front 3 a doddle back 3 a pain once done easy watch for the britle pipes though.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
like everyone else says its the coils, this ecm has the worst misfire detection ever. i have a vtune stage 0 and i've gone threw 3 coils so far right now on a 4th. it only misfires on wot in the upper rpm or mid rpm band when it dont down shift, it feels like a shutter or fishbite. the worst part is the ecm will not throw a code until you basically keep in the throttle when it misfires and it begins to shutter real bad.

on a side note

dear bosch

get a with the misfire detection everyone else's ecm's dont seem to have this problem

sincerely your pissed off lp9 owners everywere
Isn't that the truth:eek: I've been saying this for years. Maybe the newer Bosch ME 9.xx is a bit better. I really haven't had to find out.

I remember the on my T8 and little misfire or fuel cap being off for more than 30 seconds would trigger the CEL.
I can drive around all day with fuel cap off of a V6 and no CEL:roll:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
many thanks

your coils from wrexham appear cheap. Robert Bowett (Saab dealer) in Leeds quoted me £1200 to replace all 6 coils !!!!

Can you send me details of the coils you bought please?

Cheers

X

·
0 Posts
Pm sent davo I will find the number in the morning I work nights ok

·
Registered
593 Posts
rock auto ships to uk

6 coils cost me about £230 delivered with vat paid
got them in a week
great service ....

and they are Bosch in a different box

·
Registered
42 Posts
Crazy turn of events

So I bought my TX back In Sept. Have had it checked out a few times I'm very thorough with my cars. Everytime came back in excellent shape. With the exception of the brakes (front) and the creaking noise from what the dealer think is a loose backing plate. Had the Brakes done ASAP OEM no problem at all. Car has been running strong, having a great time with it.

Bought it with 29,980 on 9/16/13 and today it has 34,900 on it.

About 3 weeks ago the car started shuttering when I started it up in park. This was after a 90 minute drive and I had stopped to pick someone up and when I started this occurred. It shuttered so bad that it in fact stalled out and shut off. Scared the living **** out of me. I thought maybe it was bad batch of gas I always use 93 Octane. Filled it up with 93 and heard a minor shudder maybe 1 or 2 more times that day. Did a lot of starting up and turning the car off was all over the place. Next day never heard the noise again for 3 weeks until Monday Night. Made a shutter pretty significant for about a minute. I started driving at the stop signing or any stopping no more shuttering. Happened again yesterday and today both minor but noticeable on start up (cold or warm engine temp). I live in NJ been in the 30s this week. Was 60 when it happened the first time.

NOW FOR THE FUN.

Today went to the car wash to get all that disgusting salt off the car. Was waiting in line all of a sudden the CHECK ENGINE light pops on. My heart SINKS. I'm thinking WTF!

So it gets better. In the car wash (car wash makes you get out and walk thru the inside) the car in front of me dies. The have to push it out and jumper pack it. Then my car DIES and they have to jumper pack it. The car behind mine dies and the same thing happens. I'm thinking what the hell is going on. And these guys are great guys never an issue with them they detail ferrari's and expensive benz all the time (upper middle class area). Anyhow they jump my car I drive around. Get home then have someone else come over and listen to my car and he's like yeah the engine sounds like its struggling (In park) it still drives fine.

Couple of notes

MY MPG has dropped with the last 2 batches of gas from AVG of 20 to 15 MPG. Was snowing and snow out there past 2 weeks but still.

The dealer I bought the car from was Curry Chevy. They wrote my Oil Sticker for 3,000 miles. 32,980. That sounds like conventional oil, something makes me wonder if they put in Synthetic. I usually go 5,500-6,000 between synthetic changes. So I'm about 1,000 miles out. However if they put in convention not only is it overdue it's screwing up the engine BIG TIME. Not sure if it would run with conventional which makes me think it is synthetic.

Have an appointment with Saab tomorrow morning. Plan of taking car of the backing plate with whatever work needs to be done as a result of this.

What should I expect? I fear the worst!

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I bought my TX back In Sept. Have had it checked out a few times I'm very thorough with my cars. Everytime came back in excellent shape. With the exception of the brakes (front) and the creaking noise from what the dealer think is a loose backing plate. Had the Brakes done ASAP OEM no problem at all. Car has been running strong, having a great time with it.

Bought it with 29,980 on 9/16/13 and today it has 34,900 on it.

About 3 weeks ago the car started shuttering when I started it up in park. This was after a 90 minute drive and I had stopped to pick someone up and when I started this occurred. It shuttered so bad that it in fact stalled out and shut off. Scared the living **** out of me. I thought maybe it was bad batch of gas I always use 93 Octane. Filled it up with 93 and heard a minor shudder maybe 1 or 2 more times that day. Did a lot of starting up and turning the car off was all over the place. Next day never heard the noise again for 3 weeks until Monday Night. Made a shutter pretty significant for about a minute. I started driving at the stop signing or any stopping no more shuttering. Happened again yesterday and today both minor but noticeable on start up (cold or warm engine temp). I live in NJ been in the 30s this week. Was 60 when it happened the first time.

NOW FOR THE FUN.

Today went to the car wash to get all that disgusting salt off the car. Was waiting in line all of a sudden the CHECK ENGINE light pops on. My heart SINKS. I'm thinking WTF!

So it gets better. In the car wash (car wash makes you get out and walk thru the inside) the car in front of me dies. The have to push it out and jumper pack it. Then my car DIES and they have to jumper pack it. The car behind mine dies and the same thing happens. I'm thinking what the hell is going on. And these guys are great guys never an issue with them they detail ferrari's and expensive benz all the time (upper middle class area). Anyhow they jump my car I drive around. Get home then have someone else come over and listen to my car and he's like yeah the engine sounds like its struggling (In park) it still drives fine.

Couple of notes

MY MPG has dropped with the last 2 batches of gas from AVG of 20 to 15 MPG. Was snowing and snow out there past 2 weeks but still.

The dealer I bought the car from was Curry Chevy. They wrote my Oil Sticker for 3,000 miles. 32,980. That sounds like conventional oil, something makes me wonder if they put in Synthetic. I usually go 5,500-6,000 between synthetic changes. So I'm about 1,000 miles out. However if they put in convention not only is it overdue it's screwing up the engine BIG TIME. Not sure if it would run with conventional which makes me think it is synthetic.

Have an appointment with Saab tomorrow morning. Plan of taking car of the backing plate with whatever work needs to be done as a result of this.

What should I expect? I fear the worst!
I know coils are a big problem with this engine. I've had multiple cold start problems with my car that I have never been able to get fixed (check my post history). Seems like you are having a lot of the classic problems with this car!

As far as your MPG, I WISH I had yours. I usually average about 17mpg, so 250 miles on a tank, if I'm lucky :-(

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I know coils are a big problem with this engine. I've had multiple cold start problems with my car that I have never been able to get fixed (check my post history). Seems like you are having a lot of the classic problems with this car!

As far as your MPG, I WISH I had yours. I usually average about 17mpg, so 250 miles on a tank, if I'm lucky :-(
You the original owner Kurtis?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hmmmm, that doesn't sound right especially for the US anyway. We did have a number of TX's here that went unsold but it was a limited run of 600 and they were all 2008's.

That means that like the Shelby Cobras (perhaps), Saab did not complete the build of 600 for Europe and the UK and still had the certificates to build "x number of cars during that period". But that's a long shot because 9-3 production kept on unlike Shelby that stopped till those certs popped up years later. Technically, in 2000 (something), you could buy a Cobra that was titled as a 1967. Shelby donated all of the proceeds to the American Heart Association.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i just gapped my plugs down to about 32 which is a tiny gap also went with colder plugs have an extra 12 coils just in case but i believe the coils dont always arc enough and the spark is blown out sometimes under full boost gapping them in should almost certainly cure your problem.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxwickyinar1, how do you have a 2009 Turbo X if they only made them in 2008.

You mean an Aero XWD or a 2.0 XWD perhaps?
Nope he means turbo x.

It's the same with mine. Technically it was made in 2008 but not registered or on the road until 2009.
In my case it was late June 2009. Doesn't make any difference to spec etc but it does make a difference to the value.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Exactly, the car is a 2008 (look on the door plate for manufacturing date), but in the UK it's registered as a 2009.

Here in the US that would be registered and titled as a 2008. I guess you have a title in UK as well as registration .. the title is the permanent ownership document issued in the state, for me New Jersey from the first dealer and then changed to the name of a new owner when sold. Here the registration is an annual document issued with your plate numbers on it. In the US they would both read 2008 on the registration and 2008 on the title.

That has to cause a lot of confusion when ordering parts or do you have to know your cars serial number (VIN), for each item you order?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It's different here.

We have 1 registration document, this contains all car details and current owner details. On this document it shows as a 2009 car. The registration document, called a V5 stays with the car, if the car changes owner the document is sent away and new one issued with new owner details on.

No problems with parts, the supplier will just as for the reg number and all the car details come up on the system.

Hope that makes sense

21 - 37 of 37 Posts