SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AutoBlog sez :

"...word is now filtering out that General Motors may be working on adapting the Haldex-sourced XWD all-wheel-drive system currently available on the 2008 Saab 9-3 for use on Chevy's budget supercar."

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Holy crap, that would be one amazing ride. I honestly don't see it happening because all the Corvette purist would go crazy. They love their RWD and throwing the tail out.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
people on that forum are FREAKING OUT.

Well since the corvette diehards all live here....

Maybe XWD / a modern engine / suspension would bring about more sales! from people that dont need a second mortgage to buy it

Or they could just leave the corvette as is and start selling this new improved corvette badged as a Saab Sonette with the aero x artwork

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
ever think that this wide-track 9-3 might just be a prototype for something else?

It could be as simple as a test mule for the upcoming 9-5 (which is also supposed to have a wider track than any other epsilon car)

or better yet, some sort of production aero X that they've been tight-lipped about :p

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Well I dunno, an '08 Corvette with 1LT package starts at US$46K which I don't have.

Maybe the Vette diehards live in these "designer" trailer homes ;)

boon94 said:
people on that forum are FREAKING OUT.

Well since the corvette diehards all live here....

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Also ****in plagiarized (Aero-X) :eek::cry:

I can see the headlines now: "2012 Pontiac Trans-Am to be produced alongside the Saab Aero-X" :nono;

TheRedBaron said:
OMG Ken that trans am looks ****in badass!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
SaabKen said:
Also ****in plagiarized (Aero-X) :eek::cry:

I can see the headlines now: "2012 Pontiac Trans-Am to be produced instead of the Saab Aero-X" :nono;
Fixed for realism.

That trans-am is effing hideous.

·
Registered
557 Posts
This will be in the total rumor file until we hear that the corvette is abandoning the Front Engine rear drive layout in favor of a mid engine layout. Also, the story states that test mules show a wider rear track. On a rear drive car the Haldex system will not be placed on the rear axle. It only makes any sense that the haldex unit would be placed on the front axle like it is in the mid-engined Bugatti Veyron.

If it remains front engine, there simply is not enough room underneath to fit a transfer case and front axle in the car. Of course they could raise the hood line a bit and make it look like a hybrid minivan/sports coupe.

If the next generation corvette goes to a mid-engine layout, that would be something. The Haldex unit could then be adapted into the front quite easily but it would not be an XWD unit as there is no need for a eLSD in the front end of a RWD car.

So, the next gen corvette if it was a mid engine layout could be AWD, but never XWD in my opinion.

This story also comes out of Sweden and bases the opinion that the test mules that they have seen are in SAAB vehicles that have a large rear track. No offense, but GM would not make a SAAB a test mule for the Corvette. It just is not going to be at all like the driving dynamics of a sports car. If they said they saw a corvette like this or a Opel Speedster like this, then I would be more inclined to believe it. Also, GM would not test the corvette in Sweden until winter hit. There would be no need. Haldex has a technical center in Michigan and the Corvette team is securely in Michigan with free reign of GMs premier test facility in Millford Michigan. Therefore, I deem this story to be less than believeable.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Jubilee Vert said:
If it remains front engine, there simply is not enough room underneath to fit a transfer case and front axle in the car. Of course they could raise the hood line a bit and make it look like a hybrid minivan/sports coupe.
Why do people keep saying things like "theres not enough room"... obviously if they're going to RE-DESIGN something, they take the extra room they need into account.... :roll:

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Jubilee Vert said:
This story also comes out of Sweden and bases the opinion that the test mules that they have seen are in SAAB vehicles that have a large rear track. No offense, but GM would not make a SAAB a test mule for the Corvette. It just is not going to be at all like the driving dynamics of a sports car. If they said they saw a corvette like this or a Opel Speedster like this, then I would be more inclined to believe it. Also, GM would not test the corvette in Sweden until winter hit. There would be no need. Haldex has a technical center in Michigan and the Corvette team is securely in Michigan with free reign of GMs premier test facility in Millford Michigan. Therefore, I deem this story to be less than believeable.

I too thought that reference was odd. And for a second I even wished what they saw was actually some secret SAAB model we don't know about. Is that possible ?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
SaabKen said:
I too thought that reference was odd. And for a second I even wished what they saw was actually some secret SAAB model we don't know about. Is that possible ?
If it is, my money is on some sorf of production coupe based on the Aero-X. My dream would be to see the fancy new saab-specific epsilon underpin a front engine/AWD sport hatchback like the alfa romeo brera. It would be a great (and inexpensive) way to make a production aero-X that still would feel like a saab when you drive it, unlike a kappa-based aero X.

I think it's already pretty safe to say that the next-generation convertible will resemble a drop-top aero X, so a sports coupe wouldn't be that hard to build on the same platform.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Ah, the SAABVETTE! :D Maybe I should get one of those :cheesy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts