SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the 9-3SS forum, but I do have a pretty detailed thread about my Viggen in the ng900/og9-3 section if you'd like to check that out.

Long story short about a year ago I came across a running, driving Turbo X for 2k, and it needs A LOT of love. So I figured I'd start documenting here.
This car needs attention in every area. I purchased it from auction.
After I run through I found it needs, a door, a fender, a rear bumper and trunk, as well as front lower grille. It's sitting on some gen 1 Maptun coils that are absolutely decimated. Thing rides like a bounce house.
It needs tires, bushings, and several other suspension components.

As far as the engine goes, it had 0 compression on cylinder 5. I went ahead and tore the entire thing down (Which I did not take pictures of) and found a piece of plastic was stuck between the valve and the valve seat. First time I've ever seen that! Also the cams were trashed. I had figured the car has been siting for several years considering the condition. I'll post pics of the cams on the old heads, but i've never seen rust on cam lobes as bad as these. So I went ahead and sourced another set of heads/cams, took everything to the machine shop and then I started reassembling.

Hopefully next update will be installing chains and some more gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
18,898 Posts
Wow. No pics of plastic piece? I would have loved to see that and also the cams.

·
Super Moderator
18,898 Posts
Wow. Run without oil?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Run without oil?
No, I think this thing sat for several years up north and its a combination of that and condensation in the motor. Everything was fine aside from the cams. Even underneath the car is clean.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right now I'm thinking about keeping it stock and using it as a daily. Only mod I have planned is some Maptun coils, because they're cheaper than pretty much all the other suspension options. I kind of like the idea of taking a POS and making it nice, because the Vig was already nice and it just got mods constantly thrown at it lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the timing cover cleaned up, front crank seal and cam solenoid seals installed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I ended up finding the pictures from when I initially tore the engine down including the piece of plastic stuck in the head!

Nasty!!!

Rocker had popped off and was floating in the head.

There it is...

Nudged in just enough to keep the valve stuck open.

And here are the nasty Maptun Gen1 coils that will be replaced with the new Maptun XT's

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome build, I love engine teardown threads. More pics the better!! And wow, those cams are the worst I have ever seen out of a modern engine. That is insane. I would have to imagine there was something else going on mass amount of condensation on the cams, i wouldn't imagine is possible. I've torn down engines that have sat 10+ years with 0 surface rust on cams. And not in a temp controlled environment.

Any plans for something beyond stock?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree! Torn down several cars sitting for years and nothing looked this bad, so I'm not entirely sure on the cause. I want to get the car running with the stock parts first. But I do plan on going FBO eventually.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little update. Got a some more parts in! Water pump and thermostat, rear main, valve covers and lower intake manifold installed.
Finally got to use our new blast cabinet and decided to paint the valve covers VHT wrinkle black. Not perfect, but way better than the old corroded aluminum finish.

After blasting.

Prrimed.

Painted!

Finally looking like a motor!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts