SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Onto my fourth 9-3 now, a May 2008 build Turbo X with 19" rims, auto and 29,000 kms (19,000 miles). Picked it up for $22,000 at an auction on Thursday at Canberra, Australia's capital city. There are two TXs currently listed on the carsales.com website for around $40,000. This gives some idea of the bargain price I paid for this car. Only 30 TXs were imported into Australia, most being manual SS. Unbelievably low mileage also for a car of this vintage ;ol;. However, there are some issues........

Car is a repo job. So no books or spare key. Have had some luck from the service sticker on the windscreen to track down some of the service history, where it was serviced and where it was sold. Now have the owner's details so I will approach them about the books and the spare key - not sure what type of reception I will get though. All they can do is yell at me. Used to people yelling at me though given 10 years of marriage and previous Army experience :eek:.

Has some work needed to the right front and rear door and the rear quarter panel which look like they have been caught up with a yellow bollard in a carpark. The LHS has some minor dents but the bonnet, roof and boot look OK. Car has also been reversed up against something (driver must have been deaf as well as dumb) as the rear bumper has a vertical crease near the RHS backing sensor that has broken the RHS reflector on the rear diffuser. The front lower lip is also missing which is no big deal for me. Seems to me the previous owner had problems with stationary things .............

Mechanical stuff. Battery was flat when I got to the auction. Battery cover and snorkel are missing which suggests the repo men had to jump start the car during their pickup. Maybe the owner still has them? The car started first kick and settled down to a normal idle. Being an auction car, you cannot drive the car beforehand. Still have not picked up the car yet to see how it actually drives. There were no visible oil leaks underneath the car. Coolant levels were fine.

Interior of the car also fine just a bit dirty. Why people spend so much on a car like this and then do make the effort to look after it - don't know. Car has a sunroof which I think was an option in Australia.

Despite the panel damage the wheels are in unbelievably good condition :roll:. Amazing really given the panel damage.

So what does the future hold for this TX? I am actually unsure about what to do with it. Already had two offers from people to buy it. But yet to drive the car so will let this determine my course of action. Canberra is about 240 kilometres from where I live. I hope to pick the car up on Weds this week so the trip back should be interesting ;ol;.

Have the say though - the TX exhaust note is pure sex! Something you will never be able to replicate with an I4.

Thanks to Benro as well who also attended the auction. He took a massive amount of photos so hopefully he can post some here of the car.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Onto my fourth 9-3 now, a May 2008 build Turbo X with 19" rims, auto and 29,000 kms (19,000 miles). Picked it up for $22,000 at an auction on Thursday at Canberra, Australia's capital city. There are two TXs listed on the carsales.com website for around $40,000 to give you some idea how much of a bargain this car is. Unbelievably low mileage also for a car of this vintage ;ol;. However, there are some issues........

Car is a repo job. So no books or spare key. Have had some luck from the service sticker on the windscreen to track down some of the service history, where it was serviced and where it was sold. Now have the owner's details so I will approach them about the books and the spare key - not sure what type of reception I will get though. All they can do is yell at me - my Army and marriage experience may serve me well here as used to people yelling at me :eek:.

Has some work needed to the right front and rear door and the rear quarter panel which look like they have been caught up with a yellow bollard in a carpark. The LHS has some minor dents, bonnet, roof and boot look OK. Car has also been reversed up against something (driver must have been deaf as well as dumb) as the rear bumper has a vertical crease near the RHS backing sensor that has broken the RHS reflector on the rear diffuser. The lower lip is also missing which is no big deal for me. Seems to me the previous owner had problems with stationary things .............

Mechanical stuff. Battery was flat when I got to the auction. Battery cover and snorkel are missing which suggests the repo had to jump start the car/ Maybe the owner still has them? The car started first kick and settled down to a normal idle. Being an auction car, you cannot drive the car beforehand. Still have not picked up the car yet to see how it actually drives. There were no visible oil leaks underneath the car. Coolant levels were fine.

Interior of the car also fine just a bit dirty. Why people spend so much on a car like this and then do make the effort to look after it - don't know. Car has a sunroof which I think was an option in Australia.

Despite the panel damage the wheels are in unbelievably good condition :roll:. Amazing really given the panel damage.

So what does the future hold for this TX. I am actually unsure about what to do with it. Already had two offers from people to buy it. But yet to drive the car so will let this determine my course of action. Canberra is about 240 kilometres from where I live. I hope to pick the car up on Weds this week so the trip back should be interesting ;ol;.
Woohoo! Congrats Nigel! Can't wait to see some pictures.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Congrats to your repo TX!
I'd spend a little money to get in enjoyable order, drive it for a while, then decide if to keep or sell on...
And check that rear diff for leaks...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats Nigel, only seems fitting as I let go of mine you grab onto one ;ol; Cant wait for pics
Thanks K. Yeah it does seem really bizarre the timing thing with your car. Anyway least you will have something familiar to drive when u visit downunder. ;ol;

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, cant believe I actually now own a TX without having actually driven one. Still a big fan of the I4 though and a smooth, comfortable ride our Vector gives. Spent nearly 6 hours in the Vector last Thursday going to and from Canberra, very relaxing drive - not sure the TX would be as smooth. My first 9-3 was a 2005 Aero. My wife hated it on long trips as the ride was just too harsh.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congrats to your repo TX!
I'd spend a little money to get in enjoyable order, drive it for a while, then decide if to keep or sell on...
And check that rear diff for leaks...
Good Luck!
Thanks. Have to say your thread on your TX diff experience really shook me. We dont have many XWD's in Australia. Have had many discussions with Benro another Saab enthusiast from Sydney on this issue as both our current cars are FWD. Given everything here costs like at least double the cost of the US, any failures of XWD components could get pricey :eek:. Anyway, need to keep building the knowledge base on this forum about the XWD system so we can collectively solve or hopefully avoid costly issues.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think all the TurboX Owners (Including me) have had several topics covering everything. Basically you have a few things

As soon as you get the TurboX take it to a shop if you have acccess to one and pop it on a lift, look under neath everything in the rear transfer case and see if you see any small leaks or any drops of any types of fluids.

This will determine a lot right there with he rear seal. Once that is done you will want to change out the fluids of everything if you want to be meticulous about it and then normal inspection on wear and tear items.

Boots suspension bushings etc.

let me know any help you need I have everything done in my head :)

As for Modding

Look to NTP Post

He has a nice set of instructions :)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks K. Have flagged a few good threads already - is waht makes forums like these so valuable. Agree about seeking expert advice straight away to inspect the car. The bit of info I got was the last car was last serviced in December 2010 at 15,000kms. So I will be straight off to my service guy to drop all the fluids asap.

Can u remember does the Turbo X have its own owners manual or did Saab just use the generic one?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Generic unfortunately but if you need one I still have mine. I want be using it lol
OK thanks. Wonder if they are different for each major market, will check the one in my car, not sure. I have the name of the previous owner it was repo'd off, will give them a call to see if they still have the books plus the spare key AND if they want to hand it over - lot of "ifs" in all this :eek:

Looking forward to actually driving the car. Have not driven a TX or and XWD Saab yet. :roll:

·
Registered
423 Posts
wow! That's a steal.. I keep my eye out for them regularly.. and for 22k! Unheard of!
Post up some photos of its current condition when you can :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
OK thanks. Wonder if they are different for each major market, will check the one in my car, not sure. I have the name of the previous owner it was repo'd off, will give them a call to see if they still have the books plus the spare key AND if they want to hand it over - lot of "ifs" in all this :eek:

Looking forward to actually driving the car. Have not driven a TX or and XWD Saab yet. :roll:
North America, it's a generic manual. Turbo X is listed in the manual, under a lot of the specifications, and options.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh yay, you got it.

Hope it all works out. You seem to do your homework, so it's well deserved.

New keys are pretty easily obtained now, for around $80ish, perhaps less. It's just that it might be a challenge to get your Saab dealer to program it if you didn't buy it from them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm going to post nearly all the photos I took - sorry Nigel, they're actually mostly of the bad stuff! Unfortunately I can only post 9 images per post...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts