SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating getting a wiring harness from under the hood of a wreck and then building my own using the old one for color code, wire length and connectors.
Is this totally nuts?
I'd love a new one under there simply to be absolutely positive about electrical fault problems.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
scubasaab said:
Is this totally nuts?
Yes.
99.99% of wiring problems occur at the connectors. From a practical point of view, barring major collision damage, the wires never cause a problem. If your diagnosis suggests that one isolated wire in a harness is broken or shorted, there's usually something wrong with your diagnosis.
You're solving a problem that doesn't exist (sort of like fancy oils, filters, additives*).

* Seafoam et al.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Unless its an 85. The wiring generally fell apart everywhere on those. Although if its still a running 85, its probably had the wiring fixed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
scubasaab said:
Is this totally nuts?
Certifiable, although it is quite a seductive idea. It's a dreadful amount of work and would cost a packet for minimal benefit. An example - I need a replacement wiring sub-loom for my bike. If I make it myself to the exact spec of the old one, it will cost me £60 and about 4 hours' work. If I buy a fresh one from BMW, it will cost £35.

The wiring itself only ever causes problems if it's been chafing against something or there's been a fire. Dirty connectors or dicky earths are far more likely to cause headaches.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have cleaned and re-seated all the connectors and also sprung the male ends to make the pin fat again.
No problems, but thought it might be nice. The wire looms over the injector area look a bit natty, but everything is fine otherwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts