SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday under mid to high acceleration, I started to hear a low whistle from the engine. No oil leak and acceleration seems fine, though before the first instance of whistling I had a second or two of significant hesitation up a hill, which has not returned. Visually checked hoses I could see on the turbo, and they looked good, as much as 14 year old hoses in this climate could. I am supposed to head out today on 350 km /220 mile 3 day trip visit the mom in-law who has been ill. Other half is already there.

So, to quote Dr. Szell, is it safe?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does it still seem like there's excessive noise? the turbo vehicles I work with regularly will some times have older weaker, or loose clamps will slip a bit or even rip a little causing a boost leak. you could also have a slight exhaust leak. I usually get a bit of rubber hose and hold it to my ear to isolate certain areas. you would need to have someone power brake the car (in gear, foot on the gas and brake to load the engine and build boost) so that you can listen for the leak. Just barely got back into a saab and don't have specific experience, but I work on turbo charged vehicles quite often.
Edit: as long as you don't load up the car and load up the turbo too much I would think its ok. if the MIL is not on there isn't a big enough problem that the car is worried its going to hurt itself.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not excessive, just a new moderate 'whistle" under harder acceleration that is barely noticeable over the revving engine sound. I might try your suggestion for isolating the sound- hadn't thought of that one.

MIL is recuperating for now, and I am driving (relatively) gently.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
No problem! hope you get it sorted out. one thing that just came to mind, I noticed on my wifes car shortly after we brought it home, there is a crank breather tube running from the front valve cover to the turbo housing that was
broken (old and brittle) might be something to look at. mine was EXTREMELY fragile so be careful inspecting.
It is wrapped in a silver sort of heat blanket to protect it. our car is a 2.8T so might be different than yours.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check that now. When I turn on my A/C it immediately also makes a whistling sound- do the A/C and any part of the engine share hoses?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first turn on the A/C it also whistles. Any chance the two are related? Do A/C and engines share any common hoses, and such? Sorry for my ignorance on this one.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The A/C is on the long serpentine belt with the other accessories. (But not water pump.)

Noise sources are hard to identify through text. A squealing belt might happen when the AC goes ON. That's really common at engine start-up, too. There could be a vacuum leak, or a leak from the intake high-side hoses/pipes.

I suggest giving it a good listen in the engine bay while someone turns the A/C ON and OFF and revs the engine. Unfortunately, the turbo won't be able to boost the engine to higher than atmospheric pressure without a load so if it's an air leak it may not present itself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like GlenL said noise vibration and harshness is some of the toughest to diag, unless you can hear it, and it certainly helps if you've heard it before. I would say a little extra hum is ok, but if its loud, you might have an issue with the compressor itself. Again, the handy little piece of hose will help locate the source of the sound, and that is a great starting point. Does the ac work at all? there is usually a pretty audible click/clunk when the clutch engages. Since it isn't constantly engaged when the ac is on. you should be able to idle the car, turn the ac on and listen for the clutch to engage/disengage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts