SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 9-5 with 70,000k on it and have been noticing a strange noise when I turn the car on. I have discovered that a belt (right behind the engine) is squeaking. I don't think it's anything major (looks like the belt was just put on - it squeaks when a white band around the belt goes around) and will live with it for now, but today I have noticed a whistle when my turbo goes from the white to the orange section and stays on until it goes back into the white. Does this have anything to do with the belt making noise or is it a completely different problem? What could it be? Is it a serious problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
If this is the 4cyl engine:

A whine just at start up indicates a blocked strainer and a starved oil pump :eek:

Are you sure - 100% - its the belt :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's not just at start-up, it's all the time. As for the turbo, it's just when it gets into the orange section.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If this is the 4cyl engine:

A whine just at start up indicates a blocked strainer and a starved oil pump :eek:

Are you sure - 100% - its the belt :confused:
when i bought my 95 it had a really loud whine for a couple of minutes at start up ,it was the powersteering !
someone "the previous owner "when told to keep it topped up, filled the bottle right to the top ,when i drained some off to the right level the whine dissapeared !!!:roll:

·
Registered
904 Posts
There is normally a whine from the turbo on acceleration.

Does the sound go away once you are at speed, but do not take your foot off the gas pedal completely?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If there is excessive turbo whistling there may be some small cracks in the housing near the wastegate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts