SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i know a great deal about cars and motors but not so much about saab turbos. i have a 2008 2.3T with a tdo415t want to upgrade since im building the motor for around 400hp no more. i see turbo upgrade to tdo419t is it a direct bolt on i know i have to tune ecu but physically will it just bolt on and what gains could i see from this. thanks guys

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
You'll need a lot more than a tune and a turbo for 400hp, and a 19T probably won't get you there. If it does, it'll probably be on the ragged edge. I would either revise the goals, or aim for a much larger turbo (and injectors, intercooler, etc.)

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan '98 corolla until my 9-5's engine is finished:'~((
211 Posts
Which fuel are you going to use? You'll need forged pistons, (bottom end rebuild), tubular manifold, larger exhaust, intercooler, td04 19t maybe esp on e85, but you'd be better off with a gtx2871r or gtx2867r for 400 hp if tuned quite well with efficient piping.
In total you'd want a larger charge pipe, injectors, fuel pump, the turbo, manifold, downpipe and catback, forged pistons, fresh engine rebuild (balancing suggested, possibly even a fresh bore if there is any wear), intercooler, ecu tune and really ought to have wideband, egt, and oil pressure and temperature guages at that point

·
Registered
211 Posts
Honestly, a td05 (twin scroll turbo and manifold would be sweet) or a gt30 would be more ideal for pump gas, especially if all of the piping won't be as efficient as possible

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i know just saying is it possible with to achieve 400 hp with a 19t or do i have to get something diff im building it just like my other motors just never had a turbo application

·
Registered
211 Posts
It maybe with 93 octane and the perfect build and excellent tuning. Definitely with e85. I'd suggest building for a gtx though if using pump gas with a 400 hp goal. Can use same manifold flange and an exhaust shop can adapt the downpipe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats another question is there any downpipes that are actually better than others like shoot me some name brands that you actually seen gaines with they all seem the same to me and every person giving a review says there is the best lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
The krona pipe is top quality material with mandrel bending. I think the genuine Saab (Taliaferro) pipe is mandrel bent as well. I purchased the Krona 3" dp for my 9-5 because of the material and mandrel bending and I couldn't find a custom exhaust shop that would mandrel bend a down pipe for my car. Did custom 3" catback, though

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah im a machinist and my buddy works for a race car bulider in ct. it will be my first front wheel drive turbo 4 cyl but thats why im here asking

·
Registered
211 Posts
You'll want a quaife lsd. Also, these transmissions are a weak point. I won't be running more than 400 ft lbs through my rebuilt transmission

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is, yeah. Its not a great starting platform. I love the car and love the sleeper effect, but there are much better cars to start with for performance

·
Registered
211 Posts
was going to source and f40 6 speed from over seas and build it
You'll have to do some fab work, of course, to mate them but the f40 is nice. I already shelled out for the clutch and lsd for mine so I'm sticking with the f35 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
why fab work? in an other post i asked if the stock aero tranny out of my 08 wagon would handle 400 hp well more like 370 375. 400 is an optimistic number

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
maybe upgrade torque converter thats all i could really do with out peeling it open. is one stronger than the other 5 speed vs 6 speed or are they kinda the same strength

1 - 20 of 83 Posts